2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am betting on the SS concept

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:09 PM

Re: I am betting on the SS concept

Originally Posted by Red Planet
We did a very large number of clinics on several vehicles about two years ago (as i recall) and we did a V8 RWD coupe that scored off the charts..the problem was that:

It was very heavy if produced as you saw it;
It sat too high (in my opinion)
By the time workable 5mph bumpers were added, it was wayyy too big.

and everyone around here says they aren't concerned about size and weight .
Old 12-04-2005, 03:40 PM

Hey Danno....what color was the car you saw in the clinic?

We did a very large number of clinics on several vehicles about two years ago (as i recall) and we did a V8 RWD coupe that scored off the charts..the problem was that:

It was very heavy if produced as you saw it;
It sat too high (in my opinion)
By the time workable 5mph bumpers were added, it was wayyy too big.

The car wasn't designed off the SS concept.....we simply never did a 2 door version of it.....
RP the car was a dark grey metallic. It shared the rear and tail light design with the SS sedan (except the panel between the tail-lamps was body-colored instead of a metallic insert). It even had the flush mounted body integrated exhaust pipes, ahhh droool ... That's why I thought it was a coupe version of the SS sedan. That and the A-pillar was also very similar to it.

I'm really surprised about the weight, the car looked shorter than the 04 Accord there. It seemed like a really tight package, then again I drove a 4th-gen so my views on the subject might of been a little skewed .

The car I saw was about as tall as an SN-95 Mustang but it wasn't noticeable until you got within touching distance. Deceptive like a 300C.

I thought the bumpers were integrated into the body already. I don't know what external bumpers would do to the lines of that car.

Red Planet, how far along was that clinic car (Santa Fe Springs, CA 6/03)? It looked pretty close to complete. The interior seemed like it was fully appointed. Eventhough the glass was LIMO tint, I could make out the rear-seat headrests from an angle. The exhast pipes looked to be PVC and the car was kept from rolling using stops. Was there a powertrain in it?
Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
and everyone around here says they aren't concerned about size and weight .
Oh right! Road hugging weight is where it's at

The postings of the last week have me eagerly awaiting January 9th. Maybe my black '02 won't be my last Camaro!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by V8 Slayer
I like it..
So does Mazda. (RX8?)

Originally Posted by 85LT1Z28MEX
once I had nothing good to do and started to play with a pic of the ss on the ps.. this came out..

still dont like the SS

sorry on the wathermarks but couldn't find the originals so linked from our local club
The next Camaro isn't going to have the same greenhouse. It's going to be a proper coupe. Nice photoshops, but that type of Camaro is dead.

Originally Posted by danno02SS
Me again, no I'm not just going to disappear. Not till January anyhow. There was a clinic car that was based on the SS concept. It wasn't similar, it didn't share styling cues with, it was a coupe version of the SS concept with a different grille. It exists, I didn't imagine it, and word was it scored better than any GM clinic car ever. While most of you dismiss these photochop's as plain or down right ugly, my money is still on something very close to pics 1 and 2.

RP said the SS concept was meant to be a charicature of a real automobile. The clinic car was a toned-down COUPE version of the SS-sedan, less bulges more taught skin. I dug it and didn't even notice the slightly more upright stance.

This clinic car was pared against a Mustang and an Accord for Pete's sake what other GM car competes directly with them.

My only hope is that they did go with a 2nd gen inspired front clip.

GONGOS clinic chops
1. As close to clinic car as I could remember
2. Donor chop from the web I used to get 1. This pohotochop had been floating around the web soon after the SS-concept debuted.
3. First cut at drawing the clinic car, done the same night of the clinic even.
Been wondering what's happened to ya. Thought the black Suburbans might have gotten to you.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The next Camaro isn't going to have the same greenhouse. It's going to be a proper coupe. Nice photoshops, but that type of Camaro is dead.
In other words guys use the 99 GTO concept for the greenhouse starting point.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:07 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by danno02SS
RP the car was a dark grey metallic. It shared the rear and tail light design with the SS sedan (except the panel between the tail-lamps was body-colored instead of a metallic insert). It even had the flush mounted body integrated exhaust pipes, ahhh droool ... That's why I thought it was a coupe version of the SS sedan. That and the A-pillar was also very similar to it.

I'm really surprised about the weight, the car looked shorter than the 04 Accord there. It seemed like a really tight package, then again I drove a 4th-gen so my views on the subject might of been a little skewed .

The car I saw was about as tall as an SN-95 Mustang but it wasn't noticeable until you got within touching distance. Deceptive like a 300C.

I thought the bumpers were integrated into the body already. I don't know what external bumpers would do to the lines of that car.

Red Planet, how far along was that clinic car (Santa Fe Springs, CA 6/03)? It looked pretty close to complete. The interior seemed like it was fully appointed. Eventhough the glass was LIMO tint, I could make out the rear-seat headrests from an angle. The exhast pipes looked to be PVC and the car was kept from rolling using stops. Was there a powertrain in it?
Thanks.
Yes.....you are correct...it was gray. It was not a complete car. It was what we call a 'foam' or 'fiberglass'.......no drivetrain....no interior......you can see what appears to be seats...but in reality, they're only seatbacks.....if you looked real close inside, you'd see a black fuzzy closeout panel.......... The bumpers were designed in....but they would not have passed a 5mph impact. When I saw the car (I loved it by the way) my reaction was:
1. Where's the hoodscoop?
2. I think it sits too high

As to the taillamps.....yes, they were rounded, but you may also recall that the rear came to a point in the middle...very similar to the CTS..whereas the SS concept bows out...but does not come to a point. To me, I could see a lot of the 2nd gen in that car...even tho if you asked me to say why, I really couldn't tell you.......except perhaps the slant of the rear window into the C-pillar.

The bottom line is that the car was simply too big.......
Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 PM

Too big? Hrm....
Id like a Camaro to be a cross between the Ferrari 612, and the Aston DB9. I would love for the circle tail lights, aggressive stance of teh Aston, with the smooth lines of the Ferrari...mix in Camaro hertiage and serve.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:23 PM

promise me one thing Red.....include some pictures in your book
Old 12-05-2005, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
promise me one thing Red.....include some pictures in your book
I say he includes a DVD with video of the car throughout the design stages. And hopefully of him reading the board and banging his head against the wall so people know how hard it really was for him.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:38 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

If you love the design of the concept....don't thank me.

Thank the men and women at GM Design Studio........Tom Peters........and many of the talented young men and women that work with him.

I'm very very proud of them.

And some of them don't even know me. (altho I'm sure some have heard of that 'crazy Settlemire and his love for all things Camaro' and 'OMG...he's STILL wearing those Camaro shirts and Jackets and Camaro Ties to work!!)

(but I gotta say.....I'm in love with this concept.....just makes me grin like all-get-out)

Last edited by Fbodfather; 12-05-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:34 AM

Scott,

Is there an offical date when you can refer to the concept as a Camaro? I have noticed you are a lot more gushing, not necessarily forthcoming , but gushing about the concept. That is very encouraging!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:42 AM

Yes.....you are correct...it was gray. It was not a complete car. It was what we call a 'foam' or 'fiberglass'.......no drivetrain....no interior......you can see what appears to be seats...but in reality, they're only seatbacks.....if you looked real close inside, you'd see a black fuzzy closeout panel.......... The bumpers were designed in....but they would not have passed a 5mph impact. When I saw the car (I loved it by the way) my reaction was:
1. Where's the hoodscoop?
2. I think it sits too high

As to the taillamps.....yes, they were rounded, but you may also recall that the rear came to a point in the middle...very similar to the CTS..whereas the SS concept bows out...but does not come to a point. To me, I could see a lot of the 2nd gen in that car...even tho if you asked me to say why, I really couldn't tell you.......except perhaps the slant of the rear window into the C-pillar.

The bottom line is that the car was simply too big.......
Thanks for the interesting info RP. I'll crawl back under the rock I came from now. I hope that clinic model still exists though. I'd really love to see something similar to that make production or be in your book at least.

1. I was asking 'where's the Z/28 cowl induction hood?'.
2. I was too awed by the looks and stance of the car to really dwell on the height.
The rear of that car was awesome by far it's best feature. I'd be scared to pull up on that at a stoplight. Downright mean.

You're enthusiasm about the actual concept sets my mind at ease. It's going to be a great January.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Red Planet:
And some of them don't even know me. (altho I'm sure some have heard of that 'crazy Settlemire and his love for all things Camaro' and 'OMG...he's STILL wearing those Camaro shirts and Jackets and Camaro Ties to work!!)
Must not be reading many Chevy Mags then, you've been in more than a few. Just read a write up about you in Camaro Performers last month, '56 Pontiac Star Cheif huh, nice first car. I see why you like 2nd gens, was the '73 a Z28? My cousin had a black one with big white bars on top, one of the first cars we really tore into.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 AM

The bumpers were designed in....but they would not have passed a 5mph impact.
I thought that the 5mph bumpers were no longer a federal requirement -- that 2.5mph was good enough now.

On the other hand, I think that may still be a requirement in Canada . . . .
Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by 90rocz
Must not be reading many Chevy Mags then, you've been in more than a few. Just read a write up about you in Camaro Performers last month, '56 Pontiac Star Cheif huh, nice first car. I see why you like 2nd gens, was the '73 a Z28? My cousin had a black one with big white bars on top, one of the first cars we really tore into.
Yeah,...the Star Chief was a 'woods runner'.......it was completely rusted out so we made roads with it by running over small trees!

The '73 was a Type LT. Yup......wanted a Z28, but my father knew me all too well. (something to do with him finding out about taking his 70 SS-396 Demo to the Drag Strip back in 1970...........) ...and doing things with some of the really old 'trade-ins' at the dealership..........that's another whole story.

Quick Reply: I am betting on the SS concept