2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

I am betting on the SS concept

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 09:44 AM

Re: I am betting on the SS concept

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
hey danno, if 1 and 3 are as close to what you remember seeing at the clinic, wouldn't you say this is pretty close too.........
I had been thinking that, but now that I see the SS chop together with the other pic it makes you wonder. Did the newer drawing use the GONGOS survey chop as a starting point or inspiration? Or is it coincidnece since it plays on hints that have come from folks in the know.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by danno02SS
Me again, no I'm not just going to disappear. Not till January anyhow. There was a clinic car that was based on the SS concept. It wasn't similar, it didn't share styling cues with, it was a coupe version of the SS concept with a different grille. It exists, I didn't imagine it, and word was it scored better than any GM clinic car ever. While most of you dismiss these photochop's as plain or down right ugly, my money is still on something very close to pics 1 and 2.

RP said the SS concept was meant to be a charicature of a real automobile. The clinic car was a toned-down COUPE version of the SS-sedan, less bulges more taught skin. I dug it and didn't even notice the slightly more upright stance.

This clinic car was pared against a Mustang and an Accord for Pete's sake what other GM car competes directly with them.

My only hope is that they did go with a 2nd gen inspired front clip.

GONGOS clinic chops
1. As close to clinic car as I could remember
2. Donor chop from the web I used to get 1. This pohotochop had been floating around the web soon after the SS-concept debuted.
3. First cut at drawing the clinic car, done the same night of the clinic even.
I read your write up of the clinic. In it you mentioned that the rear end was awesome. Was it similar to the SS rear? Round tail lights, like the 2nd gen?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:56 AM

hey danno, if 1 and 3 are as close to what you remember seeing at the clinic, wouldn't you say this is pretty close too.........

and seeing as how RP has shot down every Camaro concept to date except this one, i think it's the closest thing we've got to what we will be seeing in January.
This looks like a morph between the Charger concept of a few years ago, and the Camaro rendered by Crispy. In fact, it looks like the Charger, but with the addition of the front and rear fender lines that streak toward the back of the car and a 1st gen inspired front clip.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
I had been thinking that, but now that I see the SS chop together with the other pic it makes you wonder. Did the newer drawing use the GONGOS survey chop as a starting point or inspiration? Or is it coincidnece since it plays on hints that have come from folks in the know.

i got a feeling it's more coincidence than anything else. every one of the "similar" concept drawings (Crispey's, Kris H's, JohnnyGmachine's, and Danno's) all bear resemblence to each other and were all based off of the design clinic or hints from evok and others who were there. and Guy's comments about the 5th gen being "hidden in plain sight" lead me to believe things like the SS and the 99 nomad concept had cues from the 5th gen hidden in them, not the 5th gen taking cues from them.

i absolutely love johnny's, the one i posted. it's the best looking concept i've seen so far. if what we see in January is 95% of that car design wise, i'll be foaming at the mouth til i can go put a down payment on one.

Last edited by turbo96z28; 12-03-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:47 AM

This is too damn funny! I need to find my post I wrote 1 or 2 years ago that if you've seen the SS Concept you were looking at the 5th gen "Camaro". Of course I was immediately labelled a heretic and stupid. But I only related what I was told by my friend at GM. I remember Red Planet sending me a nice email and telling me something to the effect of being careful??? It didn't make sense to me at the time. I thought it was interesting that he took the time to email me though

I personally still maintain that the "Camaro" concept will have a lot of SS cues to it. More than some are willing to admit.

Last edited by NikiVee; 12-03-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:23 PM

and seeing as how RP has shot down every Camaro concept to date except this one, i think it's the closest thing we've got to what we will be seeing in January.
I wouldn't mind this being the real car. Throw in a high 400hp motor and I am on it.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
This is too damn funny! I need to find my post I wrote 1 or 2 years ago that if you've seen the SS Concept you were looking at the 5th gen "Camaro". Of course I was immediately labelled a heretic and stupid. But I only related what I was told by my friend at GM. I remember Red Planet sending me a nice email and telling me something to the effect of being careful??? It didn't make sense to me at the time. I thought it was interesting that he took the time to email me though

I personally still maintain that the "Camaro" concept will have a lot of SS cues to it. More than some are willing to admit.
Glad to hear I am not alone in thinking this! It makes perfect sense.

I was not a real fan of the SS concept photos - until a few days ago when I watched video footage of it on the track. Damn, it looked good!

Someone said on here that we've been looking at the 5th gen for a while now...well what else is there that could be the 5th gen besides the SS concept? HHR? Impala? Monte Carlo? Cobalt? Jeez, I hope not.

I think the SSR, pulled heavily from the SS concept - look at the fender flair shapes and the front grill.

Furthermore, pull up a pic of an '02 Camaro and the '03 SS concept. The SS concept is clearly an evolution of the '02 front end. They share the same headlights and basic grill size/shape. I believe strongly that the SS concept was a drawing board evolution of the '02 Camaro.

After the SS concept debut, we got the SSR - which, even my girlfriend says looks like a derivative of the SS concept. Interestingly enough, she *REALLY* likes the Crispy and Horton renderings, as do I.

I still think we're gonna get the SS.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:10 PM

not this again
Old 12-03-2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
not this again
Precisely what I was thinking.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:59 PM

We'll find out in a month what we get.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:25 PM

I have been lurking here for a looonng time, but this is the first concept that has inspired me to post. That thing looks mean! I hope the 5th gen looks something like this!!!

Old 12-03-2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by greg_nate
After the SS concept debut, we got the SSR - which, even my girlfriend says looks like a derivative of the SS concept.
Is it possible that the SSR got it's styling from the 2000 SSR concept?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:13 PM

The front is, but the rear quarter-panels are not. That car is way too 1st-gen for my tastes. The car was a 3-box but the rear quarter glass was closer to that of a 911 or a Fisker Latigo.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Prominent Member

Then I'd simply say that the concept has continued to morph into something more along the lines of John's drawing versus where it started with the SS concept.

Scott has, in no uncertian terms, denied that he SS has anything to do with what we'll see in a month from now....thank goodness.

Hate to burst bubbles, but:

SS concept had nothing to do with Camaro....it was a design study using varioius SS themes over the years. Nothing to do with Camaro. There were four or five proposals.....and one of them had a nose that was strikingly similar to the late 4th gen Camaro.......but that's it.

No Bel Air at NAIAS or New York. Forget Bel Air ......at least for now.

SS concept is still being shown at various auto shows..(next stop is Seattle) ...but I don't think you'll see much of it in anything (meaning new product) in the next couple of years.

If you really look at the SS concept and the Sixteen, they're almost cariactures of automobiles.....they're carried to the extreme. While they're great looking cars, I can already hear Consumers Reports (and some on various 'unnamed' enthusiast sites ) wailing that there's no head room....hard to get in and out of the back seat......too heavy.....too large........yadayadayada.........

Sooooooooo....pay off the bets now, gentlemen.

Last edited by Doug Harden; 12-03-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by danno02SS
Me again, no I'm not just going to disappear. Not till January anyhow. There was a clinic car that was based on the SS concept. It wasn't similar, it didn't share styling cues with, it was a coupe version of the SS concept with a different grille. It exists, I didn't imagine it, and word was it scored better than any GM clinic car ever. While most of you dismiss these photochop's as plain or down right ugly, my money is still on something very close to pics 1 and 2.

RP said the SS concept was meant to be a charicature of a real automobile. The clinic car was a toned-down COUPE version of the SS-sedan, less bulges more taught skin. I dug it and didn't even notice the slightly more upright stance.

This clinic car was pared against a Mustang and an Accord for Pete's sake what other GM car competes directly with them.

My only hope is that they did go with a 2nd gen inspired front clip.

GONGOS clinic chops
1. As close to clinic car as I could remember
2. Donor chop from the web I used to get 1. This pohotochop had been floating around the web soon after the SS-concept debuted.
3. First cut at drawing the clinic car, done the same night of the clinic even.
Hey Danno....what color was the car you saw in the clinic?

We did a very large number of clinics on several vehicles about two years ago (as i recall) and we did a V8 RWD coupe that scored off the charts..the problem was that:

It was very heavy if produced as you saw it;
It sat too high (in my opinion)
By the time workable 5mph bumpers were added, it was wayyy too big.

The car wasn't designed off the SS concept.....we simply never did a 2 door version of it.....

Quick Reply: I am betting on the SS concept