2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

How big is the camaro concept compared to the 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:13 PM

Re: How big is the camaro concept compared to the 4th gen?

Originally Posted by Ken S
Well, I will agree to disagree.. I'm all for the extremes.

I say, if you want something more pratical, get a Monte Carlo(assuming that is also going on the global rwd platform) or a GTO.

If you want something purposefully lean and mean, get the Corvette.

Then the Camaro will fill the niche of extreme styling and performance. It won't be as sophisticated in comfort and praticality as the GTO and Monte, and it won't be as sophisticated in performance as the Corvette.. but it'll offer bruiser performance and "extreme" styling for a resonable price..

Ford "has to do" with the Mustang to fill the roles of these 3 cars (GTO/Vette/Camaro).. Thus achieving its own blend of attributes and model varients.. quite successfully too.

GM on the other hand, can ring out multiple types of cars, each different in its own approach. Why not leverage that?
because that thinking is what hurt 4th gen. I am not likely to buy a GTO. I cant afford a Vette, but if you force me in to a Mustang, I may be looking at foreign economy cars. I know its a sports car and there are certain things you put up with, but if the car isnt usable on a day to day basis then what good is it?

I cant imagine its that bad though. It has the short doors again, and you can park and get out of a full size SUV. Im more worried about the turning radius. 4th Gens leaves you wanting...

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 02-27-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The width makes the car look agressive, huh?

So, it's all about looks not practicality, or ease of driving in normal or tight traffic?

Should I bring up the 4th gen's sales numbers, along with same year Mustangs? Better yet, how about the reason's why people bought Mustangs over Camaro's?

If you ask him nicely, Fbodfather might even share some of the issues GM is aware of that hurt Camaro in the market place.

Perhaps we're whining because we don't want the next Camaro to do as badly in the marketplace as it did last round?
Yes, I think the width does make the car in large measure, seeing as how it is relatively tall (say as compared to an IROC Camaro, which IMO is quite aggressive looking). At least some folks share my opinion that one of the reasons the 4th gen car began to go backwards in sales was that it was not as aggressive looking as it could have been and didn't have many character lines to set it apart from all the other jelly beans on the road. I heard someone refer to it as a GEO Storm on steroids and I agree. (Sorry 4th gen lovers, I do respect you guys.) One of the car mags of the day referred to the 4th gen the same way-the GEO Storm thing.
My IROC is VERY easy to maneuver in parking lots and the only real problem is the length of the doors. The Concept's door appear to be significantly shorter and hopefully lighter. This should make parking lot transfers into/out of the car easier. And I just can't for the life of me think that 3" is going to make a noticable difference in the maneuverability of the car. I will remind you too that most people will have no clue as to the width of the car and it will not be a significant factor in sales IMO.
But if you want it to sell, you better make the thing have show-stopping looks. They've proven with the reception the car has recieved that they've got the looks right. You start messing with the width and you mess with the overall proportions A LOT. I say build it JUST LIKE THE CONCEPT and they will come.....in droves!! To paraphrase Sang Lee, a muscle car should be aggressive. The Concept is the most aggressive looking car I've seen since the original Viper. Don't mess with perfection GM, build it!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by willz; 02-27-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Perhaps we're whining because we don't want the next Camaro to do as badly in the marketplace as it did last round?
Not only do I want to see GM suceed. I want them to produce a product that I would like to own.

Originally Posted by willz
Yes, I think the width does make the car in large measure, seeing as how it is relatively tall (say as compared to an IROC Camaro, which IMO is quite aggressive looking). At least some folks share my opinion that one of the reasons the 4th gen car began to go backwards in sales was that it was not as aggressive looking as it could have been and didn't have many character lines to set it apart from all the other jelly beans on the road. I heard someone refer to it as a GEO Storm on steroids and I agree. (Sorry 4th gen lovers, I do respect you guys.) One of the car mags of the day referred to the 4th gen the same way-the GEO Storm thing.
My IROC is VERY easy to maneuver in parking lots and the only real problem is the length of the doors. The Concept's door appear to be significantly shorter and hopefully lighter. This should make parking lot transfers into/out of the car easier. And I just can't for the life of me think that 3" is going to make a noticable difference in the maneuverability of the car. I will remind you too that most people will have no clue as to the width of the car and it will not be a significant factor in sales IMO.
But if you want it to sell, you better make the thing have show-stopping looks. They've proven with the reception the car has recieved that they've got the looks right. You start messing with the width and you mess with the overall proportions A LOT. I say build it JUST LIKE THE CONCEPT and they will come.....in droves!! To paraphrase Sang Lee, a muscle car should be aggressive. The Concept is the most aggressive looking car I've seen since the original Viper. Don't mess with perfection GM, build it!!!!!!!!!
It is my opinion that the 69 Camaro is the best looking muscle car going ever, but the 4th gen problems are its every day use.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:19 PM

Will, I agree with you. I don't personally know a single person who could even begin to guess the width of their car, including me. Mosty don't even knows how much their car weighs, yet alone know it's dimensions. Therefore I find it extremly hard to believe the width of the car had anything to do at all with sales an it surely didn't stop anyone on these boards from buying their 4th gen, right? Beside that the Mustang is .1" narrower and sold extremely well.

BesiRegardless, I like the aggressiveness the concept has and I love the large flare the rear wheels have. The 4th gen doors are too long, that's why its a PITA in parking lot. The concept doors are much more practical and will make up greeatly for the differnece in width. And honestly, can anyone of you tell the difference in such a small varience to width while driving? It may look bigger, but come on, if I secretly streched your 4th overnight by as much as 6 incehes you'd never notice it on the street.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by toegead93
Will, I agree with you. I don't personally know a single person who could even begin to guess the width of their car, including me. Mosty don't even knows how much their car weighs, yet alone know it's dimensions. Therefore I find it extremly hard to believe the width of the car had anything to do at all with sales an it surely didn't stop anyone on these boards from buying their 4th gen, right? Beside that the Mustang is .1" narrower and sold extremely well.

BesiRegardless, I like the aggressiveness the concept has and I love the large flare the rear wheels have. The 4th gen doors are too long, that's why its a PITA in parking lot. The concept doors are much more practical and will make up greeatly for the differnece in width. And honestly, can anyone of you tell the difference in such a small varience to width while driving? It may look bigger, but come on, if I secretly streched your 4th overnight by as much as 6 incehes you'd never notice it on the street.
Im pretty sure most people here would notice 6 inches!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:09 PM

Depends on whether it is an actual 6", or the"other kind"
Old 03-01-2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
It is my opinion that the 69 Camaro is the best looking muscle car going ever, but the 4th gen problems are its every day use.
Actually, I like the Camaro's; but I'm partial to a certain 1970 Buick that's known for being relatively fast and rare...
Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
Actually, I like the Camaro's; but I'm partial to a certain 1970 Buick that's known for being relatively fast and rare...
You mean the one in these pics?

It belongs to my father in law.