2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Got a ride in an SRT8 Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 AM

Got a ride in an SRT8 Challenger

I got a ride in an 6speed SRT8 Challenger with 3.92's last week.
Very nice!! The guy driving has a modded up Shelby GT500 (595rwph) and even he was impressed. Serious rubber going into second and good scratch into third, with the traction control on! He said the car felt pretty nimble handling wise on our short ride. The 3.92's really let it rev hard and fast!

The point of this post? If the Camaro has basically the same power, displacement and less weight, I think we're going to be pretty pleased with the results!

Please GM, give us a rear that won't grenade with sticky tires and I think we'll see easy high 12's with tune and tires!!

Last edited by Andy30thZ; 12-31-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 PM

The Challenger is a very cool car. But i think the camaro is going to be one heck of a car performance wise. I just read a review about the pontiac gxp stick ran 4.5 0-60,13.0 1/4@109.6 and the auto ran 4.5 0-60,13.0 1/4@108.5 at 3969# and4043#. The camaro should be at least a tenth faster, show room stock good driver good track on a cool night 12.6-12.7 @112-113 is what im looking to do. Stock ls3 vettes are in the 12 0s and some in the 11s.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 AM

I spent a substantial amount of time driving an SRT8 Challenger recently (also a 6 speed car).

I thought there was a lot to like about this car: I loved the seats. The engine is great and pulls hard. The car felt fast despite its size......Then I took it on some curvey roads. Ouch. it seemed to get heavier with every turn!

I enjoyed playing with this car. I would not spend my money on one, however. If this is any indication of how how porky the new Camaro will feel and perform, I won't be buying one of those either.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by john stewart
The camaro should be at least a tenth faster, show room stock good driver good track on a cool night 12.6-12.7 @112-113 is what im looking to do. Stock ls3 vettes are in the 12 0s and some in the 11s.
That sounds about right, I haven't let myself compare Camaros to Vettes because of the weight difference...
Originally Posted by holeshot
I enjoyed playing with this car. I would not spend my money on one, however. If this is any indication of how how porky the new Camaro will feel and perform, I won't be buying one of those either.
If you need something that handles, looks like you need a Vette!! And right now they have some killer deals on them!!
Drop the coin, save GM!

Last edited by Andy30thZ; 01-01-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 AM

I thought there was a lot to like about this car: I loved the seats. The engine is great and pulls hard. The car felt fast despite its size......Then I took it on some curvey roads. Ouch. it seemed to get heavier with every turn!
Muscle car vs. sports car. It's hard for them to give you everything at those price points.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Andy30thZ
If you need something that handles, looks like you need a Vette!! And right now they have some killer deals on them!!
Drop the coin, save GM!
A vette? Great idea. Why didn't I think of that?.................I just tried to order my new Corvette XLT (you know the extended version with the back seat). Oh wait they don't make one of those.

You seem to be a GM supporter? A couple of Hypothetical questions for you:

Despite all of GM's divisions, and product capability are you really ok with the corvette being the only car with decent power and handling?

After all of this time on Hiatus, would you really be ok with the brand new Camaro being considered a "straight line" vehicle only?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 AM

Despite all of GM's divisions, and product capability are you really ok with the corvette being the only car with decent power and handling?

After all of this time on Hiatus, would you really be ok with the brand new Camaro being considered a "straight line" vehicle only?
Corvette the only GM car with decent power and handling?

I have driven most of GM's vehicles. Even flailed a few at roadcourses. A statement like yours makes me wonder if you get out much...

I'm sure this isn't the actual case, but really...

Last edited by 1fastdog; 01-02-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 AM

A vette? Great idea. Why didn't I think of that?.................I just tried to order my new Corvette XLT (you know the extended version with the back seat). Oh wait they don't make one of those.

For me that's a YES. I live in North Florida. We don't HAVE any curves. Straight and flat. Every light is a Drag Strip.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 AM

I am a pretty open minded guy and I'd really like to know.... No BS, in your opinion if you had to buy a new car within the next year that fit your needs the best, what would you choose?

Everyone complains that the Corvette is too small, Camaro is too heavy, Trailblazer SS too big, HHR SS too ugly, Cobalt SS is front drive.
Gotta make you wonder if these people are that fussy in every aspect of their life..... The usual comeback is, "It's a large investment that I'm not willing to make unless it's perfect". I'd like to see these guys wives or girlfriends...."She's a super model with above average IQ, six figure salary and loves me for who I am"
Life's full of compromises, I'm sure the designers at GM are fully aware of that.
Find something you're comfortable with and make it work, or sit on the couch and wait.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Andy30thZ
I am a pretty open minded guy and I'd really like to know.... No BS, in your opinion if you had to buy a new car within the next year that fit your needs the best, what would you choose?

Everyone complains that the Corvette is too small, Camaro is too heavy, Trailblazer SS too big, HHR SS too ugly, Cobalt SS is front drive.
Gotta make you wonder if these people are that fussy in every aspect of their life..... The usual comeback is, "It's a large investment that I'm not willing to make unless it's perfect". I'd like to see these guys wives or girlfriends...."She's a super model with above average IQ, six figure salary and loves me for who I am"
Life's full of compromises, I'm sure the designers at GM are fully aware of that.
Find something you're comfortable with and make it work, or sit on the couch and wait.
Most have to compromise too much in life already, wives included, this is probably one of the few times in life that you really can get almost exactly what you want if your willing to pay for it.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 PM

Corvette the ONLY car with DECENT power and handling? Really? Really? I'm sorry to ask you one more time REALLY???
Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Judging by your username I would be under the impression that your main concern would be straightline performance.
What exactly are your needs? 2doors, 4doors, backseat obviously, RWD?
You looked at the GTOs lately, the 6.0s are very nice.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
Corvette the only GM car with decent power and handling? I have driven most of GM's vehicles. Even flailed a few at roadcourses. A statement like yours makes me wonder if you get out much...

I'm sure this isn't the actual case, but really...
Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
Corvette the ONLY car with DECENT power and handling? Really? Really? I'm sorry to ask you one more time REALLY???
You guys really missed my point. I was not claiming that the Corvette is the only car that GM makes that has power and handles. I was being SARCASTIC!

The original response to my concerns about weight and handling were met with the tired "If you want a car that handles, buy a vette" mantra. This sentiment (made by someone else) Implies that Corvette is the only option, and should be the only option, for a car from GM that actually handles well.

I do not agree with this sentiment.

For those that have trouble reading between the lines, here is my point more specifically.

1) I spent multiple days in an SRT8 Challenger. (Interesting how I pulled that off considering I don’t get out much). I thought some that haven't would appreciate some feedback.
2) Despite having some things that I did like, I did not think the car handled well and it really showed its mass in the corners. I have concerns that the Camaro will suffer the same problem since it is rather close in weight.
3) I Love Corvettes, but I can not afford one and I need a back seat for the little ones. I want a Camaro that has good power and I want it to handle good. “Go buy a Vette” is not a legitimate solution to GM’s inability to make an appropriate Camaro. And before someone asks; my opinion is that a 3900 lb. Camaro = Inappropriate!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:51 PM

You guys really missed my point. I was not claiming that the Corvette is the only car that GM makes that has power and handles. I was being SARCASTIC!

The original response to my concerns about weight and handling were met with the tired "If you want a car that handles, buy a vette" mantra. This sentiment (made by someone else) Implies that Corvette is the only option, and should be the only option, for a car from GM that actually handles well.

I do not agree with this sentiment.

For those that have trouble reading between the lines, here is my point more specifically.

1) I spent multiple days in an SRT8 Challenger. (Interesting how I pulled that off considering I don’t get out much). I thought some that haven't would appreciate some feedback.
2) Despite having some things that I did like, I did not think the car handled well and it really showed its mass in the corners. I have concerns that the Camaro will suffer the same problem since it is rather close in weight.
3) I Love Corvettes, but I can not afford one and I need a back seat for the little ones. I want a Camaro that has good power and I want it to handle good. “Go buy a Vette” is not a legitimate solution to GM’s inability to make an appropriate Camaro. And before someone asks; my opinion is that a 3900 lb. Camaro = Inappropriate!
Go drive a G8, it should feel similar. I do expect the Camaro to be alot better though.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:32 PM

get a 06 gto good feelin ride even at 120