2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good god guys get a grip!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 AM

All I read is this car is big and will be slow. Just another GTO!!!! May as well go geta Mustang??? Here is why I wont. The mustang interior looks like a bunch of plastic trash thrown together. The Camaro looks refined, sweet gauges HUD 18-20" wheels. The car is full of options.

Then the power train 420HP will be plenty to own a GT and stomp the 4400LB challenger. Imagine adding Intake, exhaust, and a tune im sure this will net close to 500HP. Also mid 20MPG with the 6speed???What does the GT get??? What does the challenger get???(I think I made my point here.)

Then take a look at the car. it looks pissed just sitting there. Most of the lines from the concept are there. the 20" wheels that everyone said would not make production are there.

And to end, I would rather have my sweet sound system, with a car full of airbags, then a 400 HP 4th gen that the only up side will go faster around a corner. Again this is only how I see it...And I will be willing to bet it does a thousand times better than the GTO did.

Rant Off

p.s. sorry if i seem all over the place but it was a long day at work
Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 AM

I've been waiting for this day since 2005.Memba how all of you ragged on the '05 GT's weight?All I can say is BAWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:48 AM

Yep... this is an epic fail.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Killaz
All I read is this car is big and will be slow. Just another GTO!!!! May as well go geta Mustang??? Here is why I wont. The mustang interior looks like a bunch of plastic trash thrown together. The Camaro looks refined, sweet gauges HUD 18-20" wheels. The car is full of options.

Then the power train 420HP will be plenty to own a GT and stomp the 4400LB challenger. Imagine adding Intake, exhaust, and a tune im sure this will net close to 500HP. Also mid 20MPG with the 6speed???What does the GT get??? What does the challenger get???(I think I made my point here.)

Then take a look at the car. it looks pissed just sitting there. Most of the lines from the concept are there. the 20" wheels that everyone said would not make production are there.

And to end, I would rather have my sweet sound system, with a car full of airbags, then a 400 HP 4th gen that the only up side will go faster around a corner. Again this is only how I see it...And I will be willing to bet it does a thousand times better than the GTO did.

Rant Off

p.s. sorry if i seem all over the place but it was a long day at work
Yeah, I agree. And most of the critics are excellent armchair experts. It's likely, none of them will ever experience the supposedly great drive it is. Ignorance is often bliss but not when they try to shove their religion down one's throat its not!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Go buy miata if your so concerned with wieght, weight ******.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Killaz

And to end, I would rather have my sweet sound system, with a car full of airbags, then a 400 HP 4th gen that the only up side will go faster around a corner.
How do you know the 5th gen will not out handle the 4th gen?? I don't think GM would not improve on the handleing. They want this to be a world class car.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:25 AM

People have been told to keep the faith and wait and wait and wait for years and years now. I think after a couple years of pent up anxiety now that the cards are mostly on the table people have every right to put in there 2 cents good or bad.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 AM

I think lots of folks will change their tunes once they sit behind the wheel on a few test drives..... thats just my opinion though, and i have YET to see a preproduction in person, much less sit in one, or drive one. I am waiting, eagerly.. Even if i cant afford one when they debut, ill still be happier than a pig in slop to see them on dealer showrooms, and to see them coming up behind my 3rd or 4th gens on the road. Regardless of weight, performance, trim, options, or any other thing.. Im just thankful the car is back, and executed in what appears a very well though out manner.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Black5thgen
Go buy miata if your so concerned with wieght, weight ******.
Oh...

So, in your world, my only choices are (nearly...) TWO TONS 'O' FUN, and a Miata.

If the intent is to turn the car into a Touring GT or personal luxury coupe, I can see why nearly 4000 lbs. looks like a reasonable compromise. The things necessary to get that type of ride comfort and feature set are admittedly heavy (6 spd automatics, IRS, heavy and stiff bodies, lots of optional content, etc...). Honestly, if that's the criteria, it certainly makes a lot of sense.

If that's the case though, let's not call it a Pony Car any more - because it's not.

NOTE: If somebody doesn't like the "pony car" description, then pick another that means the same thing... relatively SMALL, LIGHT WEIGHT, 2+2 car with a broad engine selection and great styling.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
If that's the case though, let's not call it a Pony Car any more - because it's not.

NOTE: If somebody doesn't like the "pony car" description, then pick another that means the same thing... relatively SMALL, LIGHT WEIGHT, 2+2 car with a broad engine selection and great styling.
Just shows how plainly wrong you are. Have another read of the Motortrend article before you have yourself a panic attack. In the words of the GM engineer, the Camaro leaves the Mustang in its wake... I'd say it's a fair testament to it's performance and handling/braking ability.

EDIT: One other thing... if the weight of the car is all you base your purchasing decision on, if it's the quality of the interior and the superior suspension that doesn't sway you, then it's are very narrowminded attitude given the outlay for a vehicle.

Last edited by SSbaby; 07-22-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM

In respect to some other cars in its segment, performance cars/coupes that Camaro will or could be compared against.

EVO X MR = ~3600lbs - 291hp
G37 = ~3700lbs - 330hp/270lb-ft
M3 = ~3700lbs - 414hp/295lb-ft
335i = ~3600lbs - 300hp/300lb-ft
Genesis = ~3550lbs - ~300hp
Mustang Bullitt = ~3600lbs - 315hp/325lb-ft
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
In respect to some other cars in its segment, performance cars/coupes that Camaro will or could be compared against.

EVO X MR = ~3600lbs - 291hp
G37 = ~3700lbs - 330hp/270lb-ft
M3 = ~3700lbs - 414hp/295lb-ft
335i = ~3600lbs - 300hp/300lb-ft
Genesis = ~3550lbs - ~300hp
Mustang Bullitt = ~3600lbs - 315hp/325lb-ft
Yes you could compare these cars to Camaro if you wanted to... but not many of those in your list are 'muscle cars'.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Just shows how plainly wrong you are. Have another read of the Motortrend article before you have yourself a panic attack. In the words of the GM engineer, the Camaro leaves the Mustang in its wake... I'd say it's a fair testament to it's performance and handling/braking ability.
I'll stand by my assertion, thanks. It's not just performance, but also CAFE and safety that are impacted.

The car needs a diet. I figure 160 lbs. is a good goal, and probably manageable.

Will it overcome it's heft in relation to the competition? That's possible... to a point... but certainly not preferable... Especially since if the Mustang GT is picked out as the performance benchmark, that's a terminal case of "aiming low".

Now, I can understand the need to move away from the "performance ONLY" criteria that lots of folks place on cars like this (and I also do, to a point...), but the Auto-X guys are going to avoid it like the plague (see above...), the drag racers aren't going to be happy, and the road racers are going to be apalled (they already are)...

If it's more profitable to target the car at a kinder, gentler, buyer to increase sales (and add a buttload of mass), then do so - but expect the backlash from guys like me.

That's fair too... there aren't enough guys like me out there to support the program anyway... which the F4 proved... sorta... (actually updating the thing at something less than decade long intervals might have helped, but that's water under the bridge now).

That being said, don't try to feed me a Zoftig older gal and tell me she's an super toned 20 year old hottie. She's not.

Finally, I want this car to succeed. I want the car to do well. I want the assertions here that the car's new design and features and general character will increase sales to be spot-on correct.

Constructive suggestion:
If the Camaro engineering team is not burning the midnight oil to get weight out of this car in an absolute panic program for the upcoming Z28 (which is supposed to be a "Zero BS" hotrod) then I feel a terrible mistake is being made.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Yes you could compare these cars to Camaro if you wanted to... but not many of those in your list are 'muscle cars'.

What would you compare it to?
The SRT vehicles? The GT500?

While I am a little dissappointed with the weight, its only a minor setback IMO my 5th gen will have an LS3, manual 6speed and some kind of FI eventually. The car has many other great features besides the powerttrain. Im sorry that some of you arent pleased. But there is always Mustangs, various Dodges, hell go pick up a used 4th gen or Vette.

The LS2 GTOs ran pretty well, and they are a bit heavier with less HP. That somthing to think about.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM

I hate when people say that.

To the cryers:

You want to buy a Mustang? Go buy a Mustang.

You want to buy a G37? Go buy one.

You want a Challenger? Do it.

The Camaro isn't going to please everyone but I think they did a fantastic job of trying to make it a global car to please the majority of car enthusiasts. In order for this car to be successful it needs to sell in volume not make a handful of people on a car messageboard happy by putting 500 hp in it stripping it down to 3100 lbs.

You should see what people on import and Ford boards say about this car.

Quick Reply: Good god guys get a grip!!!!