2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

GM's main camaro target is V-6 and fuel econ

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 PM

I don't think it will matter how GM markets this car. Even if it got 35mpg, people are simply too stupid. The Camaro will always be identified as a gas guzzling muscle car, regardless of what slogan GM puts under it.

Look at Toyota's Tundra. That is a gas guzzler, and even still I constantly see commercials for the damn thing. Yet somehow, Toyota still maintains it's "green" image.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
I don't think it will matter how GM markets this car. Even if it got 35mpg, people are simply too stupid. The Camaro will always be identified as a gas guzzling muscle car, regardless of what slogan GM puts under it.

Look at Toyota's Tundra. That is a gas guzzler, and even still I constantly see commercials for the damn thing. Yet somehow, Toyota still maintains it's "green" image.
I totally agree, although (and this is more off topic than I really should go) the Prius solidified Toyota as the #1 greenie company. Even though Honda was first to NA market with a hybrid. Toyota could continue to build gas hoggs themselves (ever look at the ratings on the FJ Cruiser? 14/16 with the manual!!! Yikes!) and people will turn a blind eye simply because of the Prius and Camry hybrids.

Suffice it to say, the fact that GM severely underestimated the impact hybrids would have on image (whether or not they actually make a difference) has put them in an image crisis. The Camaro could get 50 mpg and some people would still say GM builds nothing but gas hoggs.

I personally could care less what others think, but that is the unfortunate case here.

Last edited by fastball; 03-24-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=Fbodfather;5262711]Ok -- Calm down.......

..........if it has a big honkin' V8 that gets good gas mileage -- and blows every other car in its class away on the drag strip -- and it is best-in-class on a road course........

..............do you REALLY care how we market it?QUOTE]

You could market as a super tree hugging, gas sipping, animal loving, won't fart in a forest because that would add to ozone depletion, green machine and I wouldn't care as long as the above criteria is met.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by polo3433
I the new CAFE rules and high gas prices really put a monkey wrench and the Camaro development, but hey what can you do about it. That’s the purpose of making the H3 and the Hybrid Tahoe, because gas prices have change the way people are buying vehicles. If they have to put a 4 banger, 6, or whatever it is ok with me at first it wasn’t, but I learn to live with it.
Look at what's on the road. I see new F-150's, SUV's, civic's that weigh more than an XBOX... People say one thing, but do another. When it comes to how the money is spent, that's the important part.

Much like everyone wants to help the less fortunite, but not when it comes to using their land or their money...

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
It's not really as much about ***** as GM and Ford simply not being able to afford the CAFE fines, or shareholder scrutiny that would result from them. Highly profitable private companies like Porsche or BMW do in fact just pay the fines for their mostly non-compliant lineups. So, your plan could work...
A car that people want will produce enough sales to offset any fines that may be imposed.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 PM

"Camaro- The moderatly powered, somewhat fuel efficient sporty-style coupe returns"

It's not surprising that this is being done and it does make sense but it still sounds strange.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
"Camaro- The moderatly powered, somewhat fuel efficient sporty-style coupe returns"

It's not surprising that this is being done and it does make sense but it still sounds strange.
I think they just need to return to the original approach -

How much Camaro you want depends on how much driver you want to be...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
A car that people want will produce enough sales to offset any fines that may be imposed.
I bet that the domestic manufacturers would love it if this were true, but it's not in their current situation. You'd have to be making windfall profits on a per-vehicle basis (like Porsche, the most profitable car company in the world). GM and Ford have long had an unwritten rule to not incur any CAFE fines.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 AM

The quote was taken out of context...

Does GM need to market the performance version of the Camaro to enthusiasts? Not really, the hype, car shows, internet, word on the street has made them aware before it even hits the showroom floor.

However, they do need to market the bread and butter Camaro for the masses to the uniformed masses that don't have this car on their radar. We've all heard reactions from folks that vary from, "did you hear the Camaro is coming back? (heard within the last 6 months)" to "I didn't know they stopped making them."

If you had a limited budget for marketing would you place a performance oriented ad in an automotive magazine, or a 30-sec blip on primetime TV indicating how economical and fuel efficient the V6 Camaro is?

This is nothing to worry about.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM

everyone needs to settle down here.

Yes Promote the V6 or the bottom line Car (if that also includes a 4 big fat harry hunky deal) most people will be out there using the v6 car as a daily driver or even a show car, it will cost less to insure so most people can afford to drive a "SPORTS CAR" even though the Camaro is not a sports car it is a SPORTS COUPE"

for those who want a MUSCLE CAR they stopped producing those in the early 70s & the Camaro/Mustang/Firebird were never MUSCLE cars they were pony cars.

Get a life & then go out & buy a Big Flipping ***** to the wall v8 & drive it, like you stole it.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I bet that the domestic manufacturers would love it if this were true, but it's not in their current situation. You'd have to be making windfall profits on a per-vehicle basis (like Porsche, the most profitable car company in the world). GM and Ford have long had an unwritten rule to not incur any CAFE fines.
Their unwillingness to break those rules have resulted in them selling cars that no one really wants for loses. Honestly if they just suck it up, pay the fine and make cars people WANT to buy the money issue would fix itself.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM

Honestly if they just suck it up, pay the fine and make cars people WANT to buy the money issue would fix itself.
The fines would be in the hundreds of millions of dollars based on the volume of vehicles GM sells. They'd go broke in 1-2 years.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 PM

Their unwillingness to break those rules have resulted in them selling cars that no one really wants for loses. Honestly if they just suck it up, pay the fine and make cars people WANT to buy the money issue would fix itself.
Saying they should suck it up and pay the fine is pretty irresponsible.

Making the cars that people want do not involve high powered V8 automobiles. It involves well made cars, high content for the dollar, and moderate performance.

I wouldn't say a gas hungry V8 is on too many people's wish list for their next car. Even enthusiasts perfer a balence.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

uhhmmm............how many people in one year want a big honkin' V8 in their next car-- regardless of fuel costs?

(I want to see it on paper when you answer that question, by the way...)

I don't mean to be harsh -- but what you propose is -- well, off the wall.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 PM

The cars GM couldn't sell or sold at losses had more to do with bland styling and sub-par quality than whether it had a big honkin V8 under the hood. They could have put a 454 in the last Monte Carlo and it would not have sold one more unit than it did with the SC 3800 or 5.3 V8. Who cares if a Buick has a V8 because they don't need em, I can't think of the last underpowered Cadillac since the Northstar came out (probably the old HT4100's), and again with the Grand Prix and Bonneville Pontiac would not have sold a single extra unit if they put some gargantuan motor in those cars.

So tell me, what car REALLY has GM skimped on the power if it would have made a serious difference?

And BTW.... last I knew you will be able to buy a Camaro with a V8. And from the looks of things, the V6 ain't gonna be no dog.

I'll put my name on paper for one of those V8's

Last edited by fastball; 03-26-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 PM

I want one with a big honkin' V8.

Does this count as paper?

Quick Reply: GM's main camaro target is V-6 and fuel econ