2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

GM to keep Camaro buzz going....and a new book....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by White Light
I can't wait to place my order.. . I've been saving for a while now. . . only thing I'm still caught up on is what color to get
I would assume you shouldnt have to put more than 500-1000 down.

anything more would be a little rediculous. earn interest while u can on that $$
Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 PM

Peper said the new Camaro has a featured role in the science-fiction thriller Transformers, which opens July 4.

Steven Spielberg is the film's executive producer.
Most of us here have already watched the trailers, maybe the yellow/black-stripe one should've made it to NAIAS??
Or was it just C/G??
Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 PM

Who cares if the Camaro doesn't beat the Challenger to the market?

I want a RELIABLE Camaro before anything else! Sure you may get people to buy because of the wow factor initially, but as the model years go on and if the car is crappy, other buyers won't buy it if they know the car is a pile of junk.

I just hope this car has minor issues ("The radio button gets stuck") instead of something gigantic ("GM is recalling all Camaros due to the LS2 V8.....exploding")
Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 PM

I'm really exited about everything. I can't wait for the book to come out. I can't wait for the prices to come out so I can place my order. I really think they need to restart the Camaro Heritage Tour with all 5 generations represented plus the MCE's. You could have the Convertible the coupe the red coupe and the Transformers cars on different tours. That would be awesome (and a lot of money, but a guy can dream)
Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by posaune
I really think people will get a little tired of the car if they try to keep the hipe up too long like this...It needs to come sooner if possible. Two years of "Sponsored by the upcomming Chevy Camaro" is going to get old.
I concur....
Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by TheV6Bird
Who cares if the Camaro doesn't beat the Challenger to the market?
Because, those not Camaro-loyal, but still wanting a muscle/pony alternative to the Mustang (of which there currently is no alternative) will be caught up in the Challenger and buy them when they hit the streets. Then, by time the Camaro comes around, those early adoptors are not going to sell their 1-year old Challenger.

That will shrink the Camaro's market and hurt initial sales.

On top of that, people could very easily get annoyed with continued hype and perceived "drawn out" launch, and if impatient enough (which, let's face it, most are) will go buy the competitor's product. This is happening with the next gen G35 coupe and the 335i coupe. Yeah, I know different market, but similar situation. The 335i comes out first with a great engine/vehicle (for that market) and Infiniti lost potential (non-loyal) buyers before the production version ever was announced.

Last edited by Rampant; 01-20-2007 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 AM

Ford did this with the T-bird and the car basically seemed old by the time it hit the road.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rampant
Because, those not Camaro-loyal, but still wanting a muscle/pony alternative to the Mustang (of which there currently is no alternative) will be caught up in the Challenger and buy them when they hit the streets. Then, by time the Camaro comes around, those early adoptors are not going to sell their 1-year old Challenger.

That will shrink the Camaro's market and hurt initial sales.

On top of that, people could very easily get annoyed with continued hype and perceived "drawn out" launch, and if impatient enough (which, let's face it, most are) will go buy the competitor's product. This is happening with the next gen G35 coupe and the 335i coupe. Yeah, I know different market, but similar situation. The 335i comes out first with a great engine/vehicle (for that market) and Infiniti lost potential (non-loyal) buyers before the production version ever was announced.
I would have thought just like the rest of you guys, that is until I read this post.

This is EXACTLY why GM is hyping the car so much. They know that they won't have the Camaro out before the Challenger. GM wants to let the ponycar buyer know that they have more than 2 choices when it comes to selecting a ponycar.

Their line of reasoning probably goes like this:
"Hey. We know you want a ponycar now. But listen. You don't have to settle on the Mustang or Challenger. There is a third choice. The Camaro. While it's not currently available right now, just wait 6 months to a year and you could have the car of your dreams."

In other words, GM is telling the world (not just enthusiasts) about the Camaro in a huge way just when the Challenger is coming out to steal the Challenger's (& Mustangs to an extent) thunder.

Will it work? I don't know. I'm not a marketing expert. I guess time will tell.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 AM

It's such a tricky thing.

Most people, the general public.. have no idea about the stuff we know.

You start showing them something, like the concept/production, they'll want it. If they can't get it... they may move on.

You have people who are diehard mustang fans... they'll never buy a Camaro, regardless. They have the ability to wait or buy now....

on the flip side you have the same on the Camaro front. A 'mudstain' will never be in their garage.

Then you have those in the middle. They want a fast fun affordable car.
Now....or within reason... they can choose something now or wait.
You'd be fooling yourself if you think a majority of people who have no brand affiliation would wait 2 years on a car that could potentially still get pushed back.
(not saying it will... but just like anything, unless its out on the road... its not buyable)

At least with the mustang crowd, they have an option now for a new car OR to wait for a reskin/redesign...

I don't want the camaro to be the 'Snakes on a Plane' of cars....
Overhyped way too early...hurt box office sales.
It's an art and a science
Old 01-20-2007, 11:20 AM

Chevy must be able to get sales from the non-enthusiast to keep the Camaro alive. How many of these non-enthusiasts are going to wait...probably not many. The Camaro has the ability to attract buyers that might not have normally considered a ponycar or a GM car for that matter. Teasing them for two years has the potential to lose those people.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:36 AM

How many of those non-enthusiasts are going to need a car not now, but in five years? You guys are talking like buying a Camaro will be a one-shot deal. I expect Camaro to be back for no less than a full model run, and possibly for the long term. Sure, some of the people who might buy a Camaro TODAY will have bought other cars by the time it comes out. On the other hand, people who aren't in the market for a car today will be in 2009.

The question isn't one of keeping people from buying other cars in the interim, it's keeping the hype alive so that it's a BIG ATTENTION-GETTING DEAL when these things finally hit dealerships.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:28 PM

I think its a great idea and y'all are off your rocker if you think they will over expose the Camaro. Everything else that has been done has fallen juuust short of what y'all say should've been done. What make you think they will go OVERboard with any of this??

Im sure it will be spread out nicely.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by georgejetson
The question isn't one of keeping people from buying other cars in the interim, it's keeping the hype alive so that it's a BIG ATTENTION-GETTING DEAL when these things finally hit dealerships.
After two years (really three since it was first shown at NAIAS 06) of advertising without the ability to buy will make it an old story not a "BIG ATTENTION-GETTING DEAL".
Old 01-20-2007, 06:33 PM

You gotta remember that the challenger isnt coming in a budget version.

So thats going to cut down on alot of the people looking for an affordable daily driver.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JB22
You gotta remember that the challenger isnt coming in a budget version.
Depends on who you ask. "No V6 the first year" seems to be generally agreed on, but there will be a 5.7 version. There won't be a $19k loss leader but you should be able to get in to one under $30k before dealer markup.

Quick Reply: GM to keep Camaro buzz going....and a new book....