2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First engine bay shots of the new Chevy Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
One thing that gets me about trunk release buttons in the modern automobile. No security for the trunk if you valet park. I have an idea that makes it better, but it's probably not worth the money to patent the concept. I got the idea after i got my goat.

Put the trunk release in the glove compartment, like a lot of cars already do. And cars like the GTO already have a valet key for the glove compartment. Problem is, the key fob still has a release button. Here's the idea. Put a simple switch to sense when the glove compartment is locked, and lock out the trunk release too, even from the fob. Bingo.

There's still the drawback of the hidden pull for the GTO trunk, but most valet's wouldn't be that familiar with the car. And even that could be locked out by the interlock mechanism in a well designed system.
On Japanese and similar cars with the pull latch next to the seat, there is a lock right there that locks the latch very tight. You lock it with your main key and give the vallet the vallet key (which can only unlock the doors and start the car - it cannot open the trunk, glove box, or unlock the remote trunk lockout).

Rest assured GM will have a trunk release lockout switch inside the glovebox that can be locked with a different key than you give the vallet. Such was the setup in my Mom's 1998 Buick LeSabre - the trunk pop button was right on the dash next to the headlamp switch, and the lockout switch was in the glovebox.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grape Ape
I used to have an ‘87 Alfa Romeo Spider that had a pull for the truck (and another for the gas flap) between the seatback and the doorsill.
I’ve also seen a few Japanese cars with a similar system (on the floor or under the dash).
Our '99 corolla is exactly like that, except it's in front of the seat, between the seat and door sill. Very easy to reach sitting in the seat. There is a pull lever for both the trunk and fuel door.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Liquid Slap
more like 1 every 6 2/3
Nope, that would leave you at 13%.

If, for every five things you like, there is one thing you don't like, that's SIX things. The percentage of dislike is one divided by SIX. 1/6 is 16.666...%. You said 15%, which computes out to 1 bad for every 5 2/3 good.

Note that, in my previous post, I said "approximately".
Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Our '99 corolla is exactly like that, except it's in front of the seat, between the seat and door sill. Very easy to reach sitting in the seat. There is a pull lever for both the trunk and fuel door.
Yah, that's been a great feature on Toyotas and Hondas for quite some time. In the last few years, I've seen some great examples (VW, Volvo, Audi) that have the trunk and fuel door release as buttons on the door--no mechanical switches. Plus, there's a key lock that completely locks out the trunk, and the rear seats lock with the key to prevent rear-seat entry into the trunk.

I hope the 5th gen brings back lockable compartments and good trunk security. There wasn't ever a sacred hiding place in any of my 4th gens unless I wanted to tear into the spare tire well. It was impossible to hide a gift or something valuable when the valet could just pop the hatch and look around.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Talking

OK, OK- I KNOW this is a post about the underhood pics --- but ALL's I can think -over and over is:

1) I LOVE those console guages

2) I CANT WAIT to play with those ***** and all the buttons!!!

Yes, me =

Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
Yah, that's been a great feature on Toyotas and Hondas for quite some time. In the last few years, I've seen some great examples (VW, Volvo, Audi) that have the trunk and fuel door release as buttons on the door--no mechanical switches. Plus, there's a key lock that completely locks out the trunk, and the rear seats lock with the key to prevent rear-seat entry into the trunk.

I hope the 5th gen brings back lockable compartments and good trunk security. There wasn't ever a sacred hiding place in any of my 4th gens unless I wanted to tear into the spare tire well. It was impossible to hide a gift or something valuable when the valet could just pop the hatch and look around.
It is a great feature, but if your memory sucks, like mine, and you also have 3 other vehicles you drive it's easy to forget which button does what (you can't see them seated) and I've popped the trunk quite a few times when getting gas

A door button is a great idea!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Perhaps the color will be adjustable like on the Mustangs.
god i hope not. i keep mine the "ford green" as it matches the rest of the interior. if the can't make ALL of the lights the same color it will just be a gimmick. the camaro shouldn't be about gimmicks.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
It is a great feature, but if your memory sucks, like mine, and you also have 3 other vehicles you drive it's easy to forget which button does what (you can't see them seated) and I've popped the trunk quite a few times when getting gas

A door button is a great idea!
I know your C-10 doesn't have a trunk release. In fact, I'll bet if it's like my '72 K5, the only heater controls are "DEF, HEAT, FAN" and if you want extra ventilation, you open up the vent windows in the door, or pull the lever for the vents that open up into the front fenders.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
That brings back some memories of my 2002 Z.... looked just like that
RIP
Old 01-30-2008, 06:08 PM

These interior pics have been photoshopped.

IN MY OPINION, I think that these are photos released from GM to counter the recent interior spy shots.

Look at the winshield in this pic, there is no reason for it to look all distored, it doesnt even look blurry or match the rest of the picture, it has been altered. There are some other key elements that give it away, not to mention the fact that Scott hasnt posted in this thread and scorned them.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/09C...e=thumb800x800
Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Z/28lover
These interior pics have been photoshopped.

IN MY OPINION, I think that these are photos released from GM to counter the recent interior spy shots.

Look at the winshield in this pic, there is no reason for it to look all distored, it doesnt even look blurry or match the rest of the picture, it has been altered. There are some other key elements that give it away, not to mention the fact that Scott hasnt posted in this thread and scorned them.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/09C...e=thumb800x800
ummm....no
Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 PM

I don't believe that they're released by GM...that's borderline Conspiracy theory...but there's absolutely NO denying that a couple of these were 'touched' by the all-powerful Photoshop program.

Check it:
http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/09C...py1/1000599991

In my humble opinion - I think there's a car, or license plate that was distorted via the "liquify" feature of PS in front of Camaro.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 PM

You can't see the windshield in that pic. What you are seeing is a reflection off of an unfinished and very glossy dash pad.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Black5thgen
You can't see the windshield in that pic. What you are seeing is a reflection off of an unfinished and very glossy dash pad.
Um No, the dashboard curves back down, that is the winshield.

If it was the dash, then why cant we still see the tape that wraps over the top of the gauge pod...

Not to mention, those swirls match the winshield in the other picture of the rear view mirror.

NOT the dashboard.

Last edited by Z/28lover; 01-30-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM

The dash,steering wheel and gauges look like a robot face..

Quick Reply: First engine bay shots of the new Chevy Camaro