2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For everyone complaining that it looks like all the concepts........

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 PM

Re: For everyone complaining that it looks like all the concepts........

Originally Posted by Buttercup
When the new Mustang came out, a lot of people around me were negative to the retro theme. A "cop out" was a term I heard a lot of. These weren't car people.
Well the new Mustangs have been selling like crazy since they first came out, so obviously those people around you don't represent a majority of the sporty car buying public. I know how much you and some other people want a car that is perfect in your eyes, but GM really needs a car that a lot of people will buy and be passionate about. The 4th gen wasn't that car.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 PM

Sorry to all who are unhappy, but I gotta say, I dig the hell out of what we have been shown. I can't wait to see the concept in sheetmetal.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by stangitr
Well the new Mustangs have been selling like crazy since they first came out, so obviously those people around you don't represent a majority of the sporty car buying public. I know how much you and some other people want a car that is perfect in your eyes, but GM really needs a car that a lot of people will buy and be passionate about. The 4th gen wasn't that car.
Mustangs have been selling like crazy long before the retro model came out. Being the only car in its class probably doesn't hurt either... not a whole lot of alternatives and now there still won't be One of GM's biggest problems is that they are followers, not leaders. Want to change something for the better? Be a leader, not a follower. Following aint working. It's obvious you like retro, I don't.

The Corvette is one of the success stories to come from GM through some dark times. I LOVE midyear Corvettes but I would be appalled if the C6 was a blatant interpretation of that. It's too bad the Camaro couldn't follow in big brother's successful foot steps.

A while back a lot of people here said they didn't want retro. Even now on this Camaro site, which has been eagerly awaiting a new car for years there are people that agree with what I'm saying.

This is just styling which is a small part of the car, maybe the rest will surprise me. I will never be comfortable with the styling though.

If the rest of the car is great maybe we could get a car to lust after by making the Firebird? I know people have mentioned this but after seeing the concept, I REALLY want a Firebird. Modern please!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Personally, I thought that the pictures were much less retro than I feared. I saw cues, but I did not intially think it was a ripped of '69. Chrispy's drawing was way too retro for me. This one had some nice hard creases (similar to Cadillac) that made me very happy.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Personally, I thought that the pictures were much less retro than I feared. I saw cues, but I did not intially think it was a ripped of '69. Chrispy's drawing was way too retro for me. This one had some nice hard creases (similar to Cadillac) that made me very happy.

alot of people have been noticing the Caddy A&S influence in this concept now that they've had time to process everything we've seen. i'm starting to notice it myself now that we have a pic without the watermark.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
I feel the same way. What we are seeing is not a finnished concept so there is still hope, but at the same time, I would believe that the concept we will see will be almost identicle to the passenger side design. All of the exterior shots are from that side which makes me think that this is the design that was given a green light. Also, if this was just a concept that was not really close to the real thing, GM wouldn't be so pissed.
I'm thinking just the opposite. The Drivers side they /didn't/ show much (wonder why).

The Drivers side looks more detailed and finished. The passenger side looks photoshopped on there.

I expect the Drivers side with SS style tailights on there... for the concept!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
alot of people have been noticing the Caddy A&S influence in this concept now that they've had time to process everything we've seen. i'm starting to notice it myself now that we have a pic without the watermark.
And it makes me very happy. There was adrawing I saw on here one time that was heavily A&S that I absolutely loved. I can't find it back.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
I'm thinking just the opposite. The Drivers side they /didn't/ show much (wonder why).

The Drivers side looks more detailed and finished. The passenger side looks photoshopped on there.

I expect the Drivers side with SS style tailights on there... for the concept!

Yeah, I changed my opinion since I posted that.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:03 PM

IMO to a certain degree GM is doomed to some degree of failure with this car's appearance. I'm not saying it won't look great. However, because of the really long gap in production expectations have been raised, possibly beyond what is realistic.

We've had 3 years of enthusiast photoshops to frame everybody's expectations. There's no way GM can meet that. Even if they give us exactly what we want now everybody will say "gee, it looks like all the concepts" Of course it does, because that's what we said we wanted.

If the car had come out in 2003 then we would have all be suprised and there wouldn't have been nearly as much anticipation and speculation and photoshopping going on.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
IMO to a certain degree GM is doomed to some degree of failure with this car's appearance. I'm not saying it won't look great. However, because of the really long gap in production expectations have been raised, possibly beyond what is realistic.

We've had 3 years of enthusiast photoshops to frame everybody's expectations. There's no way GM can meet that. Even if they give us exactly what we want now everybody will say "gee, it looks like all the concepts" Of course it does, because that's what we said we wanted.

If the car had come out in 2003 then we would have all be suprised and there wouldn't have been nearly as much anticipation and speculation and photoshopping going on.

you're right Chris. if those pics came out 2 years ago, we would all be looking at them very differently, but alot has gone on since then.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6

It's true that expectations are high but that is the only way it was going to be. GM should know that when a popular car is killed off and rumors of a comeback have been circulating for years that people are going to want to be blown out of thier seats. I think the biggest problem with the design is not that we have seen many other renditions, it's that the Mustang did it first. Now a Challenger is on the way and will most likely debut before the Camaro. So now the Camaro is a "me too" car more than ever and it will have to be that much better to compete with the other two. The way things are going for Chrysler, we better watch out for the Challenger because it could really be mean. I hope GM doesn't go for just the volume sales and forget to compete with the best of Ford and Chrysler. If the Camaro fails to do that, then I think the car will be a failure to many.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Honestly I hope that the new camaro doesn't look like that.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
So now the Camaro is a "me too" car more than ever and it will have to be that much better to compete with the other two. The way things are going for Chrysler, we better watch out for the Challenger because it could really be mean. I hope GM doesn't go for just the volume sales and forget to compete with the best of Ford and Chrysler. If the Camaro fails to do that, then I think the car will be a failure to many.
^ ^ ^ agree with you 100% .

Also Buttercup, I'm with you on just about everything you've said. I would have liked to have seen a "new" Camaro as well. Not that what we're getting (a mostly retro-"ish" car) is a BAD looking car, it's not, but there are really not many "new" ideas on it. The retro thing has been done (by Ford and Chrysler), and so has a 1st-gen Camaro. The 'Vette on the other hand, like you said, has only evolved and gotten better. It hasn't reverted back to something it "used to be", although it still maintains certain Corvette traits (ie: 4 round tail-lights, 2-seater only).

I'm still looking forward to Detroit and seeing the REAL THING, but I just hope that I don't have to "warm up to it" the way these recent pictures have made me feel?