2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"...in the eleventh hour of the eleventh day..."

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

"...in the eleventh hour of the eleventh day..."

This is not ‘Camaro-related’ per se –and perhaps this is the wrong thread, but today is a special day – and I felt it important to post this………….

It hasn’t been a pleasant time here in Detroit. All one has to do is open a newspaper or turn the TV or radio to a news station……

The economy is in turmoil…..and while the elections are over, we have a long way to ‘heal.’ (…..this is the most polarizing election I can ever remember…)

Long hours.
Short Tempers.
Everyone thinks they have a solution.
Not a lot of patience.

– It’s gonna be a long, cold, dark winter in the Motor City.

So there I was on Sunday – I’d gotten home from yet another long business trip….the flight was endlessly delayed …. Security at the gate emptied my briefcase and asked me 10 thousand questions.
(well……..ok, 9,965 questions…)
– The shuttle was late – traffic was tied up…….and I finally made it to ‘home, sweet home.’

…………..and I sat down in the sunroom and happened to turn on the Television to PBS…

……… and there was Ken Burns’ epic “The War”……….

……..and I watched….

…….and I wept…….

……………and I remembered the terrible price that people such as my Father and my uncles and my Grandfathers and millions of others paid………

………so I could complain about my inconvenience………..and I could sit in my warm home……in a free country ……with so many many blessings………….and I felt so ashamed for even thinking that what I’d been thru that day was ‘an inconvenience……’

We must – especially in these times – stop to remember that TODAY …is a very special day:

“…………in the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.”

It’s crucial that we NEVER FORGET what people have given up – and continue to give up -- for us to live with the freedoms we enjoy.

I don’t mean to minimize the pain that many are going thru as we watch our economy stumble – and people lose their jobs – and their homes – and their hopes.

But many of us – me included – need to remind ourselves of just how fortunate we are to live in these United States.

Is our Nation perfect?

No. There isn’t on this earth any ‘perfect’ place……

..but when we look back at how our Grandparents – and THEIR parents – and THEIR parents – and THEIR parents have lived – and what they experienced, we must realize – and never forget -- that we have the best standard of living the world has ever known.

Don’t believe me? Walk into any Supermarket or Drug Store – and tell me we don’t have unbelievable bounty.

Still don’t believe me? Go ask someone in their 80s or 90s what it was like to live thru the Depression or World War II…….and know that even then, their lives were easier than life 300 years ago………..

In the later years of my Grandmother’s life, she spoke of how difficult life could sometimes be in the early part of the 20th century….and yet she knew that she had a better life – and an easier life –even being a young widow from World War I – than her mother or her grandmother. She was thankful for everything. She knew serenity. And she was a happy soul.

How did we get this bounty?

……..by men and women giving of their lives so that we could enjoy freedom – and have the standard of living that we enjoy.

Our latest election shows that there is hope that any citizen, no matter what race or creed, can become one of the leaders of the free world. And yet that very fact is lost on so many ………

And so today, being “Veterans Day”—

--also known at one time as “Armistice Day” (…..it was in the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month…)”

….it is so important that we stop to remember – and say a prayer for those who gave their lives - and those who gave of their lives……..

….and to say a prayer that those who are currently serving -- that they may return to us safely.

Please – pick up the phone and call – or send a note – to a Veteran you know.

Tell them ‘Thank you” for all they’ve done. (We can never thank them enough..)

Let them know that America cares.

When you see one of our men or women serving in the Armed Services, stop and thank them.

Freedom is not free.

We must never forget………..
Old 11-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the sobering post Scott. In the immediacy of this networked age so little rumination takes place regarding history and essential truths.

My father was a 'lifer' in the Army. He was on General MacArthur's staff in WWII, during the occupation and reform of Japan, and in Korea. My Dad served up through the Cuban missle crisis and retired in 1964 as a Colonel. A good man who lived "Duty, Honor, Country" to the fullest.

Gen MacArthur had a quote that I firmly believe:

"In war, there is no substitute for victory" but he also warned, "The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

My Dad has passed away now, as have so many of the "Greatest Generation". I do miss him.

My wife has momentos her grandfather held as treasures. Most relate to his time serving in France during World War I. The American 79th Infantry Division was nicknamed the "Cross of Lorraine" Division; its insignia is the cross of Lorraine. We have his Lorraine Cross patch from his uniform as well as a certificate given him by the French government for his service in saving their country. Private Arthur Phelps was quite a guy and the gentlest of souls.

There are many such stories.

I only hope others will at least try to walk in their footsteps and realize things just don't happen for the best through mere wishes.

I know I do. One can soldier on, in or out of a uniform.

Sometimes it seems a lonlier walk than it should be.

May God watch over us all. May good sense and a willingness to sacrifice for important things find a welcome home among us.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 11-11-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

This vet says thanks, and I do understand and remember the fallen.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Well said Scott. I never take my life as an American for granted. Even as flawed as this country is, it is STILL the greatest nation God ever gave man. (yes I said God.)
We should all be thankful for what has been paid so that we can live as we do.

We all get caught up in the trivial things that make up our lives, and few think about what it took to make this life we live the way it is.

I am SO proud to be an American, and proud of America. And most of all, I'm proud of all who have served this country. I salute you all and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

God bless the USA.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:50 AM

Scott, thanks for those great words. I am so proud to be an American and give so much thanks to our military for keeping the greatest country in the world safe each and every day. We all take for granted what we actually have and can do in this country, even something as simple as being able to come onto this forum and discuss something that we love and are passionate about. God bless the military and God bless America!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 PM

My Grandfather was one of the Lead Navigators for the daylight bombing raids deep into germany. He lost half his hearing and had some shrapnel in bad places, but he never regreted his service. He left is in 2000, but the stories and service live on at the museum:
http://www.mightyeighth.org/word/index.php
Old 11-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks Scott. I spent 10 years in the Navy and I appreciate your kind words. I think it's very important to remember where we came from and how we got here. Seems like support of the military can be variable at times and I for one appreciate the effort that you put forth in your own job. If everyone put forth the same effort and dedication this world would be a much better place.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 PM

I just came back from Walmart and was complaining about the line I had to wait in to get my food...I came back in to work to check my email, and I went to this site to check for 'updates' and seen this thread.

Thank you for putting in words that we all can understand....there I was complaining about lines to get food...when our men and women are over in war that would have loved to been in my shoes today....

I served 4 years in the USMC and appreciate the ones that are willing to go and serve even now, in these desolate times....

Thanks for the eye-opening post....it should be a 'sticky' so we don't forget...

Semper Fi
Old 11-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM

God bless all of our Vet's living, and dead!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM

Just called all my friends and family that have served.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Thank you for the sobering thoughtful words Scott. We are fortunate to be living in the best country on the planet. Our freedom has been and still is being payed for each day by the men and women of our armed forces. Freedom is not free and some have payed the highest price to ensure we enjoy it. My hat is off to them and may they all come home safe and sound!!

Semper Fi

USMC 1966, 1967, & 1968
Old 11-12-2008, 01:19 PM

Currently serving in the greatest NAVY in the world. Thanks Scott and may all who have fallen never be forgotten. GOD BLESS AMERICA
Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 PM

This 22 year retired vet thanks you too, Scott.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:24 PM

Well Said!

Quick Reply: "...in the eleventh hour of the eleventh day..."