2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Do you want ram air in the cowl?
I like the Z06 ram air cowl in tact
53.85%
Use open grille or opening below for ram air
20.51%
modify cowl to so front is ram air
12.82%
replace cowl with ram air
12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Do we need Ram air in the cowl?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 PM

Re: Do we need Ram air in the cowl?

Originally Posted by christianjax
Well there is SOMETHING to the RamAir on a WS6. I own a 99 Trans Am. I test drove a 2000 WS6 and the trottle response was amazing.
Was it an auto that you test drove? Could be you were feeling the difference in the rear axle ratio? If I remember right the WS6 had a 3.23 ratio where as the standard T/A had 2.73.

WS6 also had a slightly better exhaust and of course the cold air you were mentioning. The Ram Air effect was diluted due to vents used to keep water from entering the air intake. As a result there isn't much of a chance to really build up air pressure.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
Thought I'd post this since some of you may not have seen it. Fast Toys Ram Air is about the closest thing to a Ram Air system for a late 4th Gen. This test indicates a 1% increase in volumetric efficiency. It appears most of the increase comes from cooler air.

Here's the test:
http://installuniversity.com/install..._12.262000.htm

Scoops are for looks only. I say, if it looks good, put it on there. It may raise the price a tad though.
Keep in mind it was an 1/8th mile track at the speeds a short track would limit you to. Also assuming to that if compression is not increased it is effectively a CAI. Not one reference has put up tests to support Ram Air does not work. Without the tests, they are unsupported theory at best. An educated, guess. Infact if anything the Kawasaki reference and Porsche reference References by MADMAN and others showed small gains when used Ram Air was designed properly...

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 05-02-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Keep in mind it was an 1/8th mile track at the speeds a short track would limit you to. Also assuming to that if compression is not increased it is effectively a CAI. Not one reference has put up tests to support Ram Air does not work. Without the tests, they are unsupported theory at best. An educated, guess. Infact if anything the Kawasaki reference and Porsche reference References by MADMAN and others showed small gains when used Ram Air was designed properly...
I had never myself stated that ram air doesn't do anything. It is just extremely unlikely for a street-born vehicle to take advantage of air compression due to ram air at speeds attainable on the streets. Top speed cars and very fast drag cars would do well to account for the ram air effect though.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
I had never myself stated that ram air doesn't do anything. It is just extremely unlikely for a street-born vehicle to take advantage of air compression due to ram air at speeds attainable on the streets. Top speed cars and very fast drag cars would do well to account for the ram air effect though.
Well I agree with alot of what your saying, although according to "300bhp/ton" calculations there is 2.75 percent increase at 150 and .9 percent pressure increase at 75 That may be signifigant, it may not but he didnt test it, and relied soley on that to base his claim. He relied solely on that PSI formula. The second reference put up data, then ran an 1/8 mile track rather than a 1/4.

I think it is possible that the flow of air into the intake rather than relying on the engine to suck the air in may free up power from the engine. Maybe there are other factors.

It would make for an easy very interesting Myth Busters. It should be tested with well engineered Ram Air / with out/ with CAI and report the determining factors. I think the Scott could tell us.

I am not sure I would want a Super Charger or a Turbo on a car I wanted to last a long time. It doesnt get as good of gains but makes the Z06 lighter than a GT and still all motor, with Im assuming some gains...