2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Dibz28 Camaro Concept Comments

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:19 AM

Re: Dibz28 Camaro Concept Comments

Originally Posted by holeshot
I keep going back and looking at this interior concept. I have to honestly say that there is nothing about it that I like. I despise the retro theme (I like the exterior though); Gauges in the console are ridiculous; Gauges are supposed to give information to the driver. If you are going to put them this far out of the line of sight, they may as well be in the trunk.

A HUD would be a nice option. It won’t make up for a bad interior design.

The interior needs to be modern, well styled, sporty and functional. It should be well built with good materials and good fit and finish.

GM, I am begging you, please, please please! Scrap this interior design and start over!!!

NO RETRO IN THE INTERIOR!
Dont you think thats exagerating just a touch? The interior has distracting reflective orange trim and too much chrome around the gauges. No camaro ever had that. I see BelAir lines in it. I dont think it ever had a chance.

Lets compare them,

1969 instrument cluster all blacked out the way it came with a little chrome around the gauges, also covered by the black dash pad that went straight across over the top. Origional 69 and all blacked out. Much more room than 4th gen, and stylish. The White gauges infront of the gear selector instead of reflective orange much more attractive.

The gauges have way too much chrome extending above and past the dash pad in the concept.

Another 1969 from a different angle. Again no bulge at your legs.

The bulge in the bottom of the dash didnt come from 69 however looks 4th gen/ Belair the way it comes back in. It doesnt belong. I think a smooth Vette angled glove blox would give it a better look. Its also imposing on real and percieved room. The doors are beautiful and look like they came right off the vette but the reflective orange hurts the look.

and the best automatic gear selector GMs ever produced again 1969 I truly hope this makes the production automatics.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 01-22-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:46 AM

You know being one that loved my 1st gen car and still love them the gauges down there was one of the very things I truely loved about the car. 90% of people never look at a gauge driving unless a warning light comes on first anyway and it seems like alot belong to the club that can't chew gum and walk at the same time. If every thing was changed on the car that has been stated on boards I will forget about getting one. The car as is is 98% what I dreamed of
Old 01-22-2006, 04:24 PM

AMEN Mike!!
Old 01-22-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Dont you think thats exagerating just a touch? The interior has distracting reflective orange trim and too much chrome around the gauges. No camaro ever had that. I see BelAir lines in it. I dont think it ever had a chance.

No it is not an exageration at all. I did not say this interior was an exact copy of a 69 camaro. I said that it is Retro (60s Camaro or 60 Belair is irrelevant, Still retro none the less). Did I mention I hated the retro theme.

I find the interior ugly, sorry but that is my opinion.
Useless gauges put in the console just be different, or worse, just to be 60s is still ridiculous.

Consumers of cars built in this decade have very high expectations of interior design. This one does not cut it. Sorry but the bar has been raised substantially since the 60s.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:20 PM

No it is not an exageration at all. I did not say this interior was an exact copy of a 69 camaro. I said that it is Retro (60s Camaro or 60 Belair is irrelevant, Still retro none the less). Did I mention I hated the retro theme.

I find the interior ugly, sorry but that is my opinion.
Useless gauges put in the console just be different, or worse, just to be 60s is still ridiculous.

Consumers of cars built in this decade have very high expectations of interior design. This one does not cut it. Sorry but the bar has been raised substantially since the 60s.
how is it irrelevant? You say its changed since the 60's but you dont care that it has belair lines from the 50's NOT 60's I said I would like things changed in the interior which you completely ignored. Yes you said you hated retro but nothing else you said made sense. Your whole argument made NO sense other than your opinion you dont like retro, And PLEASE dont site the 4th gen interior as being higher expectations. We get it you dont like retro. Obviously with your belair reference you need to brush up on your history.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 01-22-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:10 AM

I am not very picky as far as most interiors go. I do like the cockpit feel, (look at the 90's supras for the console curving into the dash!). And, although the '93 camaro yellow guages are hated by most, I don't mind them. That being said, out of all the vehicles i've driven (forklifts included ), this guage cluster is the only one that really struck me as nearly unlivable.

To reiterate, put fuel, temp, oil pressure where it should be, in plain sight, and a hud can help fix the rest of the cluster down by the shifter (which I think looks cool...ignoring its functionality). Finally, please just scrap the guages and make something that should be found in a 200X's car. I'll even accept it if it is a repeat of my 93 camaro haha.

Besides that....
Old 01-23-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
how is it irrelevant? You say its changed since the 60's but you dont care that it has belair lines from the 50's NOT 60's I said I would like things changed in the interior which you completely ignored. Yes you said you hated retro but nothing else you said made sense. Your whole argument made NO sense other than your opinion you dont like retro, And PLEASE dont site the 4th gen interior as being higher expectations. We get it you dont like retro. Obviously with your belair reference you need to brush up on your history.
I must have missed your point with all of the pictures.

I was trying to make the following points:

1) The interior is very retro. I don't want the interior to be retro. I don't care if it is based off early Camaros, Belairs, Impalas or what ever. I want it to be modern. That is what I meant by irrelevant. i.E. I don't care which car from which decade it is based on. It is still retro. (For the record the Belair reference was made by you. My comment was in response to it) I don't need to brush up on my history? I didn't reference any.

2) I think Gauges put out of the line of sight (i.e. console gauges) defeat the purpose of having the gauges in the first place.

3) Customer expectations for interior design have changed alot since the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. I am talking about functionality, fit, finish, material choices, ect. All I was trying to say is that interior designs that worked in the (enter previous decade here) will not cut it in year 20XX.

Who said anything about 4th gen interiors? For the record that has been my biggest complaint about the 4th gen. The rubber-maid quality interiors. No I don't want it like a 4th gen. I thought the 3rd gen interior was bad, the 4th gen was as bad or worse. That's just it, I don't want it to copy any previous generation I want it to be new and modern.

That is really all I was trying to say.

You said my argument made no since? I didn't realize I was having an argument. I gave my opinion about the interior; You said I was over reacting. I clarified why I don't like the interior.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:35 PM

I must have missed your point with all of the pictures.

I was trying to make the following points:

1) The interior is very retro. I don't want the interior to be retro. I don't care if it is based off early Camaros, Belairs, Impalas or what ever. I want it to be modern. That is what I meant by irrelevant. i.E. I don't care which car from which decade it is based on. It is still retro. (For the record the Belair reference was made by you. My comment was in response to it) I don't need to brush up on my history? I didn't reference any.

2) I think Gauges put out of the line of sight (i.e. console gauges) defeat the purpose of having the gauges in the first place.

3) Customer expectations for interior design have changed alot since the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. I am talking about functionality, fit, finish, material choices, ect. All I was trying to say is that interior designs that worked in the (enter previous decade here) will not cut it in year 20XX.

Who said anything about 4th gen interiors? For the record that has been my biggest complaint about the 4th gen. The rubber-maid quality interiors. No I don't want it like a 4th gen. I thought the 3rd gen interior was bad, the 4th gen was as bad or worse. That's just it, I don't want it to copy any previous generation I want it to be new and modern.

That is really all I was trying to say.

You said my argument made no since? I didn't realize I was having an argument. I gave my opinion about the interior; You said I was over reacting. I clarified why I don't like the interior.
The belair lines were pointed out by me because I didnt think they fit. The point of the pictures was to show the lines I would change. I think the interior can be improved on and still be retro. You seemed to be building an argument for non-retro. which this post did better than your first.

I dont agree with you but at least it is a little more clear I hope, that I would like better 69/c6 lines in the dash as I pointed out and you dont want retro at all

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 01-23-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:55 PM

Color coordinate some interior lights, and or dash lights to match the interior colored portions......anybody, some chops maybe??
Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Let me ask you this: What would you think if they were there......but Heads up display was standard with that gage package?
I had not read this before - but I would DEFINITELY go for that.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:27 PM

I say that I would not mind the gauges on the console so long as their data was backed up w/ a HUD for one reason. When I had my C5, I NEVER LOOKED AT MY GAUGES! The HUD was so well done, that I honest to goodness would go days w/out looking at the IP. Not saying my opinion is worth any more than anyone elses, but for those that haven't used the HUD, it is sooo much easier to work with, and so addictive, that you'll never ever need the main gauges again. So if they put them somewhere out of the way like the console...fine w/ me. I don't look at fuel, coolant, volts, and oil pressure that much anyway..certainly not like the speedo.

GO HUD SCOTT!!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
I say that I would not mind the gauges on the console so long as their data was backed up w/ a HUD for one reason. When I had my C5, I NEVER LOOKED AT MY GAUGES! The HUD was so well done, that I honest to goodness would go days w/out looking at the IP. Not saying my opinion is worth any more than anyone elses, but for those that haven't used the HUD, it is sooo much easier to work with, and so addictive, that you'll never ever need the main gauges again. So if they put them somewhere out of the way like the console...fine w/ me. I don't look at fuel, coolant, volts, and oil pressure that much anyway..certainly not like the speedo.

GO HUD SCOTT!!!!
I'd probably feel the same way after using HUD. I personally will pay whatever cost to have it as my 5th gen Z28 will be most likely all the premium content you can get. The more I think about it the more I dont really care that the gauges are by the shifter but would rather they not be. I do hope that the interior is driver oriented like the 4th gen. I really like that type of setup. Useable cupholders would be nice too. Oh and how about a factory short shifter? There's no reason to have a long *** shifter, period. I dont like my Cobalt's long shifter and when I had the stock shifter in my 96 Z28 I thought it was stupid. Being a performance car or "sport coupe" every manual shifter that comes in this car should be short throw. I would think that would be common sense but if its not mentioned we'd get the longest shifter possible. Of course things are going to get changed like exhaust and what not but there's no reason to have to shell out $150-200 for a shifter after you drive a brand new Camaro off the lot. But yeah, HUD is awesome. I want it.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:09 PM

I thought everyone was saying how the Camaro wasn't retro while the Mustang and Challenger are? Call me crazy, but isn't having nearly identical gauges considered retro?

I don't mind the new Camaro having some of the same features as the first gens if they're a benefit. But having the nearly identical gauges just for the sake of looking like the '69 is just plain dumb. Put all the gauges in the dash where they belong. If you want first gen features, add the double gauge hump or the shifter that 5thgen69camaro posted.

Also, I know its a concept, but please make the radio so I can swap it out for an aftermarket one. And for goodness sake, make all the hvac vents either round or rectangular, not both.

On a side note, I just noticed the interior rearview mirror. Cool idea!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:15 PM

I keep going back and looking at this interior concept. I have to honestly say that there is nothing about it that I like. I despise the retro theme (I like the exterior though); Gauges in the console are ridiculous; Gauges are supposed to give information to the driver. If you are going to put them this far out of the line of sight, they may as well be in the trunk.

A HUD would be a nice option. It won’t make up for a bad interior design.

The interior needs to be modern, well styled, sporty and functional. It should be well built with good materials and good fit and finish.

GM, I am begging you, please, please please! Scrap this interior design and start over!!!

NO RETRO IN THE INTERIOR!

Could not agree more...
Old 01-24-2006, 12:35 AM

HUD FTW!!!! That is just a great idea in a performance car. As for console gauges I could care less. Leave the fuel, tach and speedo up top though.

I also wanted to mention that I agree completely with what Aaron91RS stated about online feedback. Its is where your sole target market resides, why not use us and be guaranteed that a good percentage of your product will be loved by those willing to fork over the money.

GM needs to be the front runner on this and change the way car marketing/building/critiquing and buying are handled. No more scratching your heads wondering why a product didnt sell.
There are atleast 6 boards that I know right off the top of my head that will give you all the info you need and take all the guess work out of it.
Shane

Last edited by Snatch; 01-24-2006 at 01:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Dibz28 Camaro Concept Comments