2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

In December can the dealer order theirs first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:25 PM

In December can the dealer order theirs first?

Please someone tell me I'm wrong. My understanding is that RIGHT NOW the dealer can only pre-order cars for a person (you, me, whomever). HOWEVER, sometime between now and December when our orders are actually "dropped" to the factory, the regular order system will be available for the dealers to order their own (lot) cars like they do with every other vehicle right now. When that happens, can the dealers simply push our orders back and order a few for themselves first?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by trm0002
Please someone tell me I'm wrong. My understanding is that RIGHT NOW the dealer can only pre-order cars for a person (you, me, whomever). HOWEVER, sometime between now and December when our orders are actually "dropped" to the factory, the regular order system will be available for the dealers to order their own (lot) cars like they do with every other vehicle right now. When that happens, can the dealers simply push our orders back and order a few for themselves first?

Dealers can only order "Sold" cars right now, which means, as I've been told, the only way the car can be put into the GM ordering system is with a customer name, address, etc... therefore that specific car is tied to the specific customer who ordered it.

So, technically, the dealer shouldnt be able to 'bump' your a previously ordered customer car to put a car on the lot.

I dont know if there is a way for shady dealers to work around this though.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Dealers can only order "Sold" cars right now, which means, as I've been told, the only way the car can be put into the GM ordering system is with a customer name, address, etc... therefore that specific car is tied to the specific customer who ordered it.

So, technically, the dealer shouldnt be able to 'bump' your a previously ordered customer car to put a car on the lot.

I dont know if there is a way for shady dealers to work around this though.
But, so far as I'm concerned, technically they can...

THERE IS NO ACTUAL ORDER YET. All that exists is a basically a list from your dealer to Chevy of who has ordered so far. If you look at your OrderWORKBENCH form it is listed as PRELIMINARY order detail. It has a priority number on it. Mine happens to be "1" because I was the first person who actually pre-ordered there. The guy behind me who ordered the V6 has priority "2", etc. AT ANY TIME BETWEEN NOW AND WHEN THE ORDER IS DROPPED THEY CAN SWITCH HIM TO PRIORITY #1 AND MAKE ME #2. Not a doubt in my mind regarding that. Now, as I said, I would think that sometime between now and the December "drop" date, the system will come available for the dealers to order their stock cars. It's the same system; just right now "lot" option on the pull-down menu is dimmed (un-selectable). That will change. When it does, just like they can swap my and the V6 guy's spots 1 & 2 to 2 & 1, they can change the priority number(s) on their lot cars to come before both of us.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM

In any "made to order" manufacturing environment, all manufacturers sequence orders in such a way that causes the least disruption to the build process. In other words, if cars aren't made in the sequence of orders received, it doesn't mean that either Chevy or the dealers are doing something wrong. It just means that Chevy is keeping costs down for ALL of us.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bearcat Steve
In any "made to order" manufacturing environment, all manufacturers sequence orders in such a way that causes the least disruption to the build process. In other words, if cars aren't made in the sequence of orders received, it doesn't mean that either Chevy or the dealers are doing something wrong. It just means that Chevy is keeping costs down for ALL of us.
Agreed but while inherently tied to it, that's an entirely different issue from how the dealer ends up submitting HIS priority numbers to Chevrolet.