2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Can the new Camaro make "Macho" cool again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by casull
Why waste your time posting something like this? If you are not interested in the topic then ignore it and stop reading, don't be a douche.
Technically, the complete expression is "Don't be a thread-crapping douche", it is not cool to do, so please don't any more. It is not welcome here. Either contribute positively or don't contribute at all.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM

One day DCX will come out with a really cheap fast car. The night streets will be littered with them.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM

I think the premise of this thread is not accurate.

I’d say the minimum age demographic will be about 25 for the 5th gen.

Anyone still in school isn’t going to be the target of GM for this car.

The “hip” “cool” kids don’t have the money for this car……

However maybe the kid’s parents will buy the car for them……..

But I still don’t think this is an issue………
Old 11-16-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by frey51
'ooooo my car has a better body kit, or my car sounds like an army of weed whackers on the prowl.'
This cracked me up! LOL
Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 PM

enthusiasm for muscle cars is very much alive, even in the younger age group. the number of girls i've made out with in my camaro is proof of this.

the biggest thing is that the camaro has to marketed properly, and appealingly.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:30 AM

IMHO, it's mainly a matter of taste... what you call macho, someone else may call 'from the age of dinosaurs' and narrowindedly american owned. Not my own opinion, mind you, but I know a few of these guys that own the pimped out hondas or whatever, and they frown on the camaros and mustangs. They'll have a small car and mod the hell out of it, trying to reach 300 hp or something like that. It just seems like a matter of taste, a personal preference.

But I do agree that it would be good for more people, younger ones included, to have an interest in the camaro. I think most of us agree that the wider appeal, the better.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:52 PM

As for the camaro bringing back macho. I think that it will not bring back the feelings of the past because every italian douche, or mexican ***** with a $100 and mullet wont be able to buy an IROC. It is an intimidating car, but most of the import kids will stay on the import side of the fence.. Kinda like the way most carb guys don't like efi. Plus I really hope the mullet referance dies with this generation... dammit I am redneck (who is mulletless thank you) that drives a camaro get over it.

Fry
Pretty ignorant and biggoted post, don't you think?

Back to the start of the thread, "Macho" is a term that's dead & won't be coming back. It's from an age where men bought well over 50% of all automobiles, and "Macho" meant the same as "Rad" today with just a bit more testosterone. If this were the 70's, the Dodge Charger and Ram would be the definition of "Macho", but that word's rotted in the grave.

Like "Daddy-o, Hip", and the quickly dissapearing "Rad", there's no doubt going to be other terms to show the idea of "Cool".

Originally Posted by number77
One day DCX will come out with a really cheap fast car. The night streets will be littered with them.
SRT-4 ring a bell??

FWIW, I can't recall stepping over any of them in the streets either.

Last edited by guionM; 11-18-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:59 PM

As for the camaro bringing back macho. I think that it will not bring back the feelings of the past because every italian douche, or mexican ***** with a $100 and mullet wont be able to buy an IROC. It is an intimidating car, but most of the import kids will stay on the import side of the fence.. Kinda like the way most carb guys don't like efi. Plus I really hope the mullet referance dies with this generation... dammit I am redneck (who is mulletless thank you) that drives a camaro get over it.

Fry
Wow. Some post.

Anyway, I'll buy the next 50 (yes five oh), $100 IROCs that you can find me.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Pretty ignorant and biggoted post, don't you think?
Originally Posted by Z284ever
Wow. Some post.

Anyway, I'll buy the next 50 (yes five oh), $100 IROCs that you can find me.
The macho view of the camaro truly died in the 80s when the current macho standard of a camaro owner was born. We all know about the guy with the mullet, who is typically one of the two previous stereotypes mentioned in my post. Take the post as you wish, but damn yall read into that one a little too much.

Fry
Old 11-22-2006, 02:28 PM

Another reason why younger kids buy hondas and imports in general is that most can't have 2 cars and they need something that they can drive reliably year round. I had a lot of friends that were into imports and I walked all over them with my formula, but if it was snowing out I wouldn't even be able to drive my car. A lot of youger people are into the f bodies, but I think that part of the problem is options and gadets. A lot of people want something new and have a lot of options. The options got better as time went on but they were never anything super special which is fine because if all that crap was in there they'd more and be slower. Not everyone buys a car for speed and handling. A lot of people see a car and just love the way it looks and that is why they buy them. My girlfriend bought an 05 accord coupe V6 last august and she said it was her dream car. She knew that hondas were good cars, but she loved the way that it looked and the fact it had heated seats so she bought it, mainly based on looks. When I show her pics of f bodies that I want or that I like she doesn't really go for them. Not all of them are appealing to her, but some she really likes.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Ok, i am 14 and in 2 years i want to buy the camaro. i think its cool and i want it, but im not sure i could afford it. i personally want the RS with nothing added, just a cd player and a heater/AC, no power locks and windows and fancy gagets. i think tuners look like crap. and american muscle rules. And macho would definatly be cool, tleast in my book.

thats my opinion
Old 11-26-2006, 09:55 PM

^^ No matter what model you buy you will get power locks/windows.
No way around it these days on a car in this catagory.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:50 AM

I think the problem is in part lack of education. As mentioned before - parents don't have muscle/pony cars, so they know nothing about them. You talk to the majority of the import drivers and they know nothing about the Camaro. Now that the Camaro has been reintroduced, maybe that will turn some heads since it is at shows again and talked about more, etc - they will see specifications, etc... If this doesn't work, maybe we can get NBC to produce one of those "The More You Know" educational commercials about the mistakes kids make in choosing imports...