2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro X vs. Mustang GT500

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:27 PM

Re: Camaro X vs. Mustang GT500

Originally Posted by Mighty
I don't understand all you guys who say that. They don't NEED to have the supercharger. It's just an easier way to get more horsepower. Do you honestly believe that they couldn't build an engine that's bigger and better than the 5.4 that's currently in the GT?
It's possible but Ford was stupid and sunk all their money into the tooling for the 4.6/5.4L engines. They won't be doing away with those engines for a long time. They did have that 6.2L OHV concept engine in the works and dropped it, they're still trying to recoupe the money they invested in the mod motor. So to answer your question, it's possible for Ford to produce another engine, just not economical, so they did have to slap the blower on the mod motor to get that kind of power.

Last edited by FAST LS1; 01-09-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
That's what GM does? I am not saying GM doesn't build good cars.. but lead the performance category? I don't see it, maybe yoiu can enlighten me.

Would you like to discuss the SRT-4/6/8/10 DCX cars vs SS lineup?
GM is getting killed, hands down. GM doesn't lead... They merely try to match the competition, well after the fact. The two exceptions that stick out IMHO are the GTO and Z06.

Regardless what you think, when Scott says something about the Camaro, I take it as the truth. There will be a competitior for the Challenger and the GT500, and it will topple both of them, we already know for a fact that the GT500 is going to be a pig, and the Challenger is sure to be there with it also. I feel that GM is going to keep the weight down, and whether its a detuned LS7 or a hopped up LS2, there will be a competitior. Bob Lutz, though its just a small tidbit, said "we have 100 more certified hp over that, and if we need it we will use it" more or less is what he said.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
It's possible but Ford was stupid and sunk all their money into the tooling for the 4.6/5.4L engines. They won't be doing away with those engines for a long time. They did have that 6.2L OHV concept engine in the works and dropped it, they're still trying to recoupe the money they invested in the mod motor. So to answer your question, it's possible for Ford to produce another engine, just not economical, so they did have to slap the blower on the mod motor to get that kind of power.
That'd be the long and short of it, they staked thier claim with the mod motor which is designed for front and rear wheel apps, the small bore wasn't only there to accomodate emmisions (reduced crevice volume) but the longitudal dimensions needed to be pretty short to work in FWD apps, the mod motor also uses siamesed cylinders to help reduce length, I think this also led to a a very narrow but tall journal on the crank. The mod motors aren't bad, and compared to the windsor engines they are epochs ahead, however the mod motor is jack of all trades and masters of none.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by pickardracing
Why do you say that?
We have DOHC 5.4L 'Boss' engines here and they are as fragile as glass. They don't like being revved to much over 6000rpm or else they'll shatter. Granted, the Boss engines here bear little resemblance to alloy donks fitted into Mustang... but perhaps someone could explain to me why anybody would want to make a unusually long stroke, smallish capacity V8, with lightweight valvetrain (due to unusually small bores) and efficient heads designed to rev high... only to be let down by the engine's bottom end limitations?

The 4.6L is a much sweeter unit but it just don't make the necessary grunt. So Ford was left with little choice but to stroke it for more grunt. Regardless, these donks weigh nearly 500lbs... they make excellent boat anchors compared to grunters from GM and DC.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by mustangmuncher
Regardless what you think....
If I was talking out my a$$ let me know. I stand by the statement that GM is always the last to the finish line, and most of the time, the wait wasn't worth it. Let me refresh your brain a little. The Silverado SS came to the market 5 years after the Lightning, and still wasn't as fast as the Lightning. The Cobalt SS was first Sport Compact that GM had a real contender with. Too bad it came to the market in 2005, not 1998 when the craze for these cars started. How about the new Impala SS vs. the Hemi powered SRT-8 cars? The SRT-8s have over one hundred more horsepower. I HOPE TO THAT GM DOESN'T FOLLOW THE SAME PATTERNS AS BEFORE. I REALLY hope that Scott proves me wrong, but history is a great indicator of the future most of the time.

Like I stated before, the Z06 & GTO are great starts to reverse this trend.