2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is THIS Camaro the right car for the times?
Yes
70.31%
No
21.88%
Don't know.
7.81%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Is THIS Camaro the right car for the times.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Thank you, Diarmadhi --- good point about the MPG.

I'm dying to know: what is the point of this poll?

Would you like us to stop with production plans?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Z284ever
This comment makes me feel uncomfortable because it implies that "a Camaro fan first" will accept anything rather than nothing.

And really, who is to say where the threshold exists on this. Would a "fan first" accept FWD, or a 4 door or a GMT900 based Camaro over nothing?

Just saying....

I'd say your arrogance in defining what a Camaro enthusiast wants and will accept is only exceeded by what appears to be your zeal to have this car fail.....

In your words: I'm "just saying....."

I know this sounds harsh -- and perhaps it should.

I don't understand what the point is about this thread........are we supposed to stop work immediately if, by some strange reason it came in at 80% as 'no'?? (I note only 25% say 'no' as I type this....and some of the comments are -- well......)

The car has received raves from the press.....and these aren't even production cars! Further, I'm proof-reading a book this evening that details the 5th generation Camaro development -- an incredible book -- and I re-read what some professional drivers have said about this car -- how surprising it is -- how refined -- how great it handles -- and how it flies thru the 'ring......

Couple this with the fact that this car has been tested ALL OVER THE WORLD....from Australia and New Zealand to Sweden and Germany and Northern Canada -- (to name a few...)

We have really done our homework on this car -- (the book will show I'm right when I make that statement....) -- we sweated the details - from moving the front wheels forward to give the car the great look of the concept -- and moving the rear wheels forward (for the same reason) -- to balancing the car and putting components and features that our enthusiasts -- as well as our competitive make owners -- have asked for. The V6 is at 26mpg and will hopefully be at 27mpg by the time the car goes on sale -- moreover -- lest you forget -- the Feds changed how CAFE MPG is determined -- and we all know that the LS1 got outstanding gas mileage -- and I'm here to tell you that the L99 and LS3 will get BETTER gas mileage than what the Feds say it will --and better than the LS1 -- driven reasonably....

The Disciples have lots to say about the car -- but there are those that say 'well -- they're just 4th gen cheerleaders' -- when nothing could be further from the truth.

The good news? We're getting closer to the day when you can get behind the wheel of one and see in person just how well we did..........

Meanwhile: Shall I call Oshawa and tell them to stop????

Last edited by Fbodfather; 09-14-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
I'd say your arrogance in defining what a Camaro enthusiast wants and will accept is only exceeded by what appears to be your zeal to have this car fail.....

You know Scott, you need to cool it. Really.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 PM

While you're here, will the camaro be at the Anaheim Auto show this October???
Old 09-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Freebird

Is it possible to actually pull the plug on the new Camaro right now!?

I would think that suppliers and tooling would be too far along to stop something this big in the making.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 PM

I just think he's mortally tired of people saying that its going to be a failure before they have even driven or heck seen it in person, and yes I have seen/touched a preprod in person. Maybe thats why I'm so adamant about having everyone else do so before picking it apart..

Honestly how can you form an opinion based on the limited facts we have at our disposal and say that its fair and unbiased?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 AM

Yes.

Absolutely.

It is the most refined and honed expression of Camaro to date.

It reminds us all why a car you can love still matters.

And it stands beside its traditional rivals in a bold expression of American style that no trio of cars with lesser pedigrees could ever duplicate.

So go celebrate.

Last edited by CaminoLS6; 09-15-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:23 AM

Ive been waiting for the day to come around ever since i first heard they were stopping the camaro back in 01 or whenever they annouced it. i have loved the camaro since i was 10... prob younger. perfect timing, and fits right in with the c6 lines. those 2 cars are going to look like sex when they are next to each other. ls3+the looks
Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by diarmadhi
for the arguement about fuel economy... below are some numbers you can compare to a 2010 V6 camaro.. est 26MPG Hwy.. Thanks to fuel economy.gov

2009 models (some depending on drive train)...

Honda Accord Coupe - 25MPG
Honda S2000 - 25MPG

Dodge Challenger V6 - 25MPG
Mustang V6 - 26MPG
Nissan maxima - 26MPG
Nissan Altima coupe - 26MPG
Mitsu eclipse - 26MPG
Audi A5 - 26MPG
Subaru legacy - 26MPG
Ford Fusion - 26MPG
Murcury milan - 25MPG
Mazda 6 - 25MPG
VW Passat - 25MPG
Mitusbishi galant - 25MPG
Mitsubishi lancer - 25MPG
Mazda Speed 3 - 25MPG
Subaru emprezra - 24MPG
Mitsu lancer evo - 22MPG
BMW M3 coupe - 20MPG

You don't see these manufacturers dropping these models... AND if that estimate is low by even 1 or 2 MPG.. Catch my drift..

This isn't to say its the greatest thing.. but for what you get its MORE than reasonable in MPG and performance/power..
and how many of those cars did they sell last year?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:54 AM

I know this sounds harsh -- and perhaps it should.

I don't understand what the point is about this thread........are we supposed to stop work immediately if, by some strange reason it came in at 80% as 'no'?? (I note only 25% say 'no' as I type this....and some of the comments are -- well......)

The car has received raves from the press.....and these aren't even production cars! Further, I'm proof-reading a book this evening that details the 5th generation Camaro development -- an incredible book -- and I re-read what some professional drivers have said about this car -- how surprising it is -- how refined -- how great it handles -- and how it flies thru the 'ring......

Couple this with the fact that this car has been tested ALL OVER THE WORLD....from Australia and New Zealand to Sweden and Germany and Northern Canada -- (to name a few...)

We have really done our homework on this car -- (the book will show I'm right when I make that statement....) -- we sweated the details - from moving the front wheels forward to give the car the great look of the concept -- and moving the rear wheels forward (for the same reason) -- to balancing the car and putting components and features that our enthusiasts -- as well as our competitive make owners -- have asked for. The V6 is at 26mpg and will hopefully be at 27mpg by the time the car goes on sale -- moreover -- lest you forget -- the Feds changed how CAFE MPG is determined -- and we all know that the LS1 got outstanding gas mileage -- and I'm here to tell you that the L99 and LS3 will get BETTER gas mileage than what the Feds say it will --and better than the LS1 -- driven reasonably....

The Disciples have lots to say about the car -- but there are those that say 'well -- they're just 4th gen cheerleaders' -- when nothing could be further from the truth.

The good news? We're getting closer to the day when you can get behind the wheel of one and see in person just how well we did..........

Meanwhile: Shall I call Oshawa and tell them to stop????

Charlie, I gotta agree with Scott on this one. It's almost as if you have appointed yourself as the one and only Camaro God. Someone mentions any word similar to compromise, and your reaction is either hostile or you bring up absurd extreme examples to reject compromises such as a FWD Camaro, a 4 door pound Camaro, a Silverado based Camaro... or all the above.

Yes... in your words, someone here does needs to cool it.....Yes... Really.

Maybe you feel that it's OK for a Camaro to be priced like a BMW M3 in the quest for an arbitrary weight number pulled out of thin air, but that's a way to spell certain death for Camaro. Each time I've chosen to get involved in these conversations, I have always thrown out the challenge of naming any other new car on the planet earth that holds more than 2 passengers, has a V8 engine churning out over 400 horsepower, has independent rear suspension, that costs under 50 (or even 60) grand.... let alone under $30,000! Never got a response.

You've praised BMW and used them as an example of weight control, but the current M3 (which is roughly the size of a small Chevy Cobalt) weighs 3500 pounds (complete with it's lightweight Crash-it-and-it's-totalled all aluminum front substructure). While the G8 on the Zeta chassis that you called a pig weighs 3900 pounds. The identical sized BMW 7 series weighs in at over 4400 pounds.

You haven't sat behind the wheel of a Camaro. Neither have I. But there are number of people here who have, Go with the view and opinions of those who actually have had a hands on with the car. All seem to have come away with very good opinions about the Camaro. NOT A SINGLE PERSON has made any comments about Camaro being a pig. I have read no car magazine review about Camaro being a pig.

Here's what Automobile said about the 3700 pound V6 Camaro:
On the road, the V-6 Camaro is surprisingly nimble and light on its feet, especially given its rather hefty curb weight. And though you'll never mistake it for a stripped-down sports car, the '10 Camaro's handling limits are more approachable and, ultimately, more entertaining than those of a Mustang or a Challenger. The back end takes a set almost immediately upon turn-in, and you can feel the rear suspension working over every bump and lump and crest in the road. Road impacts are sopped up like they barely exist, and even the harshest of potholes or mid-corner crags require only minor steering correction. Through it all, you're able to keep your foot planted, flying over harsh pavement in a way that never would have been possible in a 1967-2002 F-body.
Car and Driver:

The ride quality of the Camaro doesn’t even rate a comparison with the lesser Mustang, and it makes the Challenger’s handling feel plodding.
.... and this is just the V6..... This [i]isn't[i] even the more capable, Nurbring tuned, Camaro SS!

At the risk of you once again reaching for exaggerated examples in an attempt to belittle this fact, it's the total package and the end result is what's important even over weight. The V6 Camaro is quicker and gets better fuel ecomnomy than much smaller & lighter V6 or even 4 cylinder sporty or performance cars from overseas. The 3900 pound Camaro SS is apparently far more capable at Nurbring than than any lighter weight, regular production 4 passenger car.

GM is more concerned about weight and has people smarter than any group of us combined who worked on that issue.

Unless your intention is alienating people, I'd consider letting that dead horse go. True Camaro fans are going to weigh the car on it's total merits, true customers who are going to come from outside Camaro enthusiasts are going to weigh the new Camaro on it's total merits. Only a very small fraction of anyone is going to even look at vehicle curb weight, yet most will look at horsepower and everyone will look at fuel mileage.

Let it go already.

You have already said that you will not be buying the new Camaro.... simply because you don't like it's weight. I suspect true Camaro enthusiasts will wait till the Camaro actually hits the showroom and they can check it out themselves and make up their own minds based on the reality of a live 2010 Camaro. Not condemn it before even the final machinery that's going to assemble it is in place.

Originally Posted by diarmadhi
I just think he's mortally tired of people saying that its going to be a failure before they have even driven or heck seen it in person, and yes I have seen/touched a preprod in person. Maybe thats why I'm so adamant about having everyone else do so before picking it apart..

Honestly how can you form an opinion based on the limited facts we have at our disposal and say that its fair and unbiased?
By being far more of an enthusiast about a number than a car.

Last edited by guionM; 09-15-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:02 AM

This comment makes me feel uncomfortable because it implies that "a Camaro fan first" will accept anything rather than nothing.

And really, who is to say where the threshold exists on this. Would a "fan first" accept FWD, or a 4 door or a GMT900 based Camaro over nothing?

Just saying....
First of all there is a lot to be happy about for this Camaro. It's not just anything and it's far more than nothing.

Well we can't discuss coulda or woulda The 5th gen is very much Camaro. A RWD, front engine, 2+2 coupe with potent V6 and V8 options in true Camaro style. Let's not stip that away from it because of a higher than expected curb weight.

You of all people know exactly what GM's options were when this car was approved in 2006. Let's face it the Camaro isn't going to get the same R&D or make the same business case as the Impala or Malibu as it's not going to move the units either. So besides what we got what more could this Camaro have been with the constraints placed on it's design?

But again back to your question at hand... I think the results of your poll and responses speak loud and clear.

Last edited by 99SilverSS; 09-15-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:08 AM

It's hard to question the reliability of an American car, in comparison to a European. Japanese could be in the same league, I'm not sure. My past ride was a Honda Civic coupe, very reliable, but I feel the parts for my Z28 are longer lasting.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:40 AM

was a simple poll asking "Is THIS Camaro the right car for the times?". it's not that hard. does this camaro make sense in these times, with rising fuel costs and battered economy obviously at the forefront. even the mustangs sales are sagging. you guys are personally attacking z284ever on some legit concerns and postings.

some of you guys are just looking for fights. NOBODY even mentioned weight. just untangle the panties and stick to the thread already. and quit acting like girls, don't take everything so personal.

Last edited by ChrisL; 09-15-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: removed over the line comment = wow, some of you guys really took it up the butt on this thread. it
Old 09-15-2008, 05:46 AM

where do you come up with this BS? he's stated before that he hopes the car is successful, it's just not for him. show some professionalism.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 AM

Is it just me but it seems like when Scott responds to a post it seems you get an fast increase of replies...lol but anyway ....
Thank you, Diarmadhi --- good point about the MPG.

I'm dying to know: what is the point of this poll?

I don't know what really the point of this post, but I know the V6 model is looking very promising. However, gas is at $4.00 right now once again you gotta think that going to alter a lot of thoughts about purchasing the Camaro atleast the V8 model unless the mpg is improved.

Quick Reply: Is THIS Camaro the right car for the times.