2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro pacing daytona!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
I was actually going to Daytona this year. Now the Camaro is an added bonus. I have to agree with trm0002, Nothing like being there live. The sound, the smells. It's awesome. Plus you really can't get a grasp of how fast those guys are really going on tv. I haven't been since I was a kid. Looking forward to it. And like I said, seeing the Camaro pace car in person is icing on the cake. And for the record, I ONLY watch the Daytona 500. I don't follow nascar, hardly know any of the drivers, don't care who wins. Heck I don't even have a mullett. But I'm looking forward to this.
My wife and I are both NASCAR fans, I've been to a lot of races over the years and it indeed is a different experience in person. As I've gotten older, my idea of enjoying that experience has changed and we have not been to a race in a couple of years. We watch the races from home, no parking issues, no long lines for anything, the food is better and cheaper, no drunk fool puking on my feet or sloshing beer down my back, no multi-hour traffic jam leaving the track after the race, just a better experience for us at home and I'm no longer the "party animal" I was in my 20s/30s.
Clyde
Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 AM

been to many races at atlanta
Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
been to many races at atlanta
I've only been to one race. It was in Atlanta and my entire group thought it kind of stunk. One of my friends that went got free tickets to see the race in Dallas and said it was a much better experience. I will probably get to see a race in Dallas at some point and Seeing the Daytona 500 is on my list. Other than that, I really don't care much about Nascar. So far with just the Atlanta race it ranks down at the very bottom of sporting events in my book.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:02 AM

you can only do so much at a nascar race watching cars go in circles before you get bored....quick.

I wonder if it will be a "plain" camaro, or if it will have a special paint scheme only for the pace car and maybe any replicas.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 AM

I went to a Winston Cup race...once.
It was in Louden, NH in the mid '90s. I was a much bigger fan back then and it was an alright experience. I'd much rather watch on TV. You get to see more.
But what the Cup has devolved into is a joke. The new cars have nothing in common with their street counterparts, it's all about the drivers now (who are so arrogant), they keep changing the rules.
Stock car racing was cool, probably up to the early '80s. It's been down hill from there.

If somebody wants to bring back TRUE stock car racing, I'd be willing to watch that.

However, I will watch the Daytona 500 to see the Camaro.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 PM

I got to see the Indy 500 back in 1988 and remember it being pretty cool, but race cars going in circles isn't my bag (unless it's Sprint Cars!). Laguna Seca or Sears Point on the other hand are much more interesting, especially when your talking Grand Am, Le Mans, and GT1.

Does anyone else have further verification that the Camaro will indeed appear. I believe that poster is valid, but find it pecular that neither NASCAR nor GM has made any official statements or press releases about it, especially this close to the race.

I really hope GM isn't trying to downplay the Camaro in favor of other, more "eco" cars such as the Cruze and Volt. Ford is more than willing to pimp the hell out OT the 2010 Mustang GT/GT500!

Last edited by Logansneo; 01-30-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 PM

NASCAR is NASCAR for better or worse.

But I'm glad to see the Camaro pacing Daytona.... hopefully Indy soon too.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 AM

you can only do so much at a nascar race watching cars go in circles before you get bored....quick.
Of course if you just watch the cars go round and round it would be a snoozer. You have to know what's going on with pit stops, possible strategies, lucky dog position, etc. If you keep track of what is going on the race is SO much more. I do wish the cars were actually stock cars and not
these vehicles they have morphed into however.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
Of course if you just watch the cars go round and round it would be a snoozer. You have to know what's going on with pit stops, possible strategies, lucky dog position, etc. If you keep track of what is going on the race is SO much more. I do wish the cars were actually stock cars and not
these vehicles they have morphed into however.
oh I used to keep up with it and follow pit strategy, had the trackpass going on while watching it on tv and listening in on radios(had the scannes at the races too), and did the fantasy nascar thing. I remember when the "lucky dog" term came around. like I said, I used to watch it all the time and defend it all day long. but I would much rather go to the Petit LeMans at road atlanta, than to the a nascar race at atlanta motor speedway...any day

BUT back to the camaro...
is there any official word from chevy about this yet?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 AM

oh I used to keep up with it and follow pit strategy, had the trackpass going on while watching it on tv and listening in on radios(had the scannes at the races too), and did the fantasy nascar thing. I remember when the "lucky dog" term came around. like I said, I used to watch it all the time and defend it all day long. but I would much rather go to the Petit LeMans at road atlanta, than to the a nascar race at atlanta motor speedway...any day

BUT back to the camaro...
is there any official word from chevy about this yet?
Not that I can find. Funny thing though- gminsidenews.com has the same info but they got it from Camaro5.com

Nothing like the "inside" information we come up with on these boards !
Old 01-30-2009, 12:53 PM

i wonder what the paint scheme is going to look like?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 AM

an insider told me this morning that THE Pace Car will be at Nimnicht Chevy on Cassat Ave on the Westside of Jax today. I'll try like hell to get over there at lunch and get some pics.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 AM

sweet. go get those pictures!!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 AM

I called before I made the trek over across town. They said it isn't there yet, might be tomorrow or Saturday. I WILL get pics as soon as possible.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM

We will be looking forward to that.

Quick Reply: Camaro pacing daytona!!