2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Chief Engineer:"we've called Jenny Craig"!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 PM

I have to figure that something like GPS Nav has such a nice profit margin that GM would be throwing money away to not offer it as an option.

But then again GM is probably too complicated for mere mortals like me to ever understand.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Another member of the "Engine-In-A-Box" brigade.
I'm with you Guy.

It seems pretty clear in this case that weight loss may be minimal, however shared costs to drive the price down could be what is in store.

More models, etc. to help share the R&D (naturally that's how it always goes) and a Pontiac model that is sure to be priced higher than a Camaro will help GM gauge the true price the Camaro *should* come in at.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
I don't care if the interior is 2 milk crates, just give me the 6.2 supercharged in a car that weighs under 3700lb's. Just think what this thing would run, the 03-04 Cobra's are still kicking @ss on the streets and this is an even more powerful engine combo. I would really like to see another 1SC package like my old one but I don't think that is gonna happen anymore according to Scott.
Another member of the "Engine-In-A-Box" brigade.
Originally Posted by casull
I agree. If all you are after is a frame wraped around a high HP motor, then there are certainly more cost effective ways of getting such than to buy a new car.

Personally I have never really understood this logic.
Originally Posted by georgejetson
I don't get it either. If I wanted a car that was going to be a dedicated bracket racer or track dog I'd build one.
What are you guys smoking?!?!? For once we're actually getting Scott's own confirmation that they're obsessing about the weight of the car ... we don't even need to discuss the benefits of lower weight (if you can't appreciate it, you fail "Cars 101" ) ... and yet people are scratching their heads and wondering why somebody could possibly want an "engine in a box"?!?!

Guys, if you don't care much about weight, but like a little performance, there's a car built for you ..... it's called a Cadillac!! The rest of us will take our "engine in a box" which was EXACTLY the design intention of the original "pony cars" ... the biggest engines, in the smallest, lightest weight cars . I'll take mine in a 2009 version, thanks.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Guys, if you don't care much about weight, but like a little performance, there's a car built for you ..... it's called a Cadillac!!

... and if Cadillac were to build a 2 door, 4 seat, V8, RWD, drop top, I'd cross shop it and let you have your "motor in a box".

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for weight reduction, BUT, the reduction has to be designed in starting at the structure, NOT by decontenting the car. I've lost track of how many times I've heard guys say, "I would have brought the Camaro, but my wife......."
Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 AM

For once we're actually getting Scott's own confirmation that they're obsessing about the weight of the car ...
I wouldn't go that far. Sure they still want it to have ponycar proportions (Of which weight is one of them) however I wouldn't say they are obsessing about it.

However, only time will tell. If the production car ends up with tons of plastic panels, and aluminum (where steel would normally be) and a higher sticker price, then I'd say yeah, they obsessed over the weight.

Guys, if you don't care much about weight, but like a little performance, there's a car built for you ..... it's called a Cadillac!! The rest of us will take our "engine in a box" which was EXACTLY the design intention of the original "pony cars" ... the biggest engines, in the smallest, lightest weight cars . I'll take mine in a 2009 version, thanks.
Originally I was going to respond to that part, but I have learned not to argue with you when you think you're right. Let me just say this. The number of buyers that would like an "engine in a box" type vehicle is so minute outside these circles that no respectable manufacturer would ever consider such a proposal. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Last edited by jg95z28; 02-01-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM

all i want is a gt500 killer, blown or not, power, quality, and performance. without the cheapness, thats all i care about. oh and a good interior, not that concept crap
Old 02-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The number of buyers that would like an "engine in a box" type vehicle is so minute outside these circles that no respectable manufacturer would ever consider such a proposal. In other words, don't hold your breath.
You my friend, are exactly right.

A respectable manufacturer once made the perfect candidate for an "engine in a box".

They were called General Motors, and the car was the 4th gen Camaro. And we saw how that turned out.

But if they decide to go to hardcore into luxury, then we are just going to end up basically having a Chevrolet Charger, which is on the losing end of WAAYYY to many races for my taste.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for weight reduction, BUT, the reduction has to be designed in starting at the structure, NOT by decontenting the car.
I wouldn't go that far. Sure they still want it to have ponycar proportions (Of which weight is one of them) however I wouldn't say they are obsessing about it.
Originally Posted by Fbodfather
AS I've been saying for -- let me see-- FOREVER -- is this: Weight is our enemy -- we need to do whatever we can to reduce it. That said -- we also have to bring the car in at an affordable price.......so it IS a balancing act. We have to think out of the box on this one..........and we are!
Ok, you got me ... he didn't say they're "obsessed" ... but I think it's pretty clear that WEIGHT (or lack thereof) is a major objective in the DESIGN of the Camaro, so it's not like it's a finalized car with things being REMOVED ... I'd say they're (trying to) build it without too much "extra" added .

They DID obsess over the weight of the C6Z, but I realize that the price made up where the weight lacked .

Originally I was going to respond to that part, but I have learned not to argue with you when you think you're right. Let me just say this. The number of buyers that would like an "engine in a box" type vehicle is so minute outside these circles that no respectable manufacturer would ever consider such a proposal. In other words, don't hold your breath.
Ah, so you've learned, grasshopper!

..... I am just kidding, don't get your knickers in a twist!!!

But I do agree with you on that. While we around here might love a bare-bones, no frills added kind of Camaro, the "Joe Q public" average car buyer WANTS that extra crap, so yeah, we're going to get it . But I just wish (or hope?) that they have the options broken down nicely so that you don't automatically get all those "ticky boxes" checked off, and that, perhaps, there are still "choices" for manual vs. power accessories and the like?

Should I hold my breath for that?? Nope. Will I not buy the car if it doesn't work out like that? Probably won't affect my decision.

While I agree (and my opinion hasn't changed since the early, early days of discussing the 5th-gen) that we should "be prepared for" or "accept" a Camaro that's in the neighborhood of ~3800 lbs., I still "believe" that they're setting a TARGET weight that is much, much lower than that. Whether or not they can achieve it is yet to be found out, but the comments which were the basis of this thread, and Scott's own words still give me "hope" that a ~3500 lb Camaro is not long forgotten .
Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Question for ya....

What year Camaro weighed the less???

I'll give you two guesses
Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by mc63
Question for ya....

What year Camaro weighed the less???

I'll give you two guesses
i'd guess a 1st gen, simply because there was less content, safety requirements, etc
Old 02-01-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
i'd guess a 1st gen, simply because there was less content, safety requirements, etc
Actually the 3rd gens were almost as light as the 1st gens.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:45 PM

"I want a bulimic Camaro that loses weight by throwing up useless parts"
Old 02-01-2007, 05:10 PM

engine in a box = failure
Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 PM

While I agree (and my opinion hasn't changed since the early, early days of discussing the 5th-gen) that we should "be prepared for" or "accept" a Camaro that's in the neighborhood of ~3800 lbs., I still "believe" that they're setting a TARGET weight that is much, much lower than that. Whether or not they can achieve it is yet to be found out, but the comments which were the basis of this thread, and Scott's own words still give me "hope" that a ~3500 lb Camaro is not long forgotten .
It's a simple theory- First step: separate the chassis guys and the drive train guys. Second step: Tell the chassis engineers to bring it in at 3500 lbs or they get fired. Let them sweat, scream, and cry for 2 years. Tell the drivetrain guys to bring you an inexpensive drivetrain that gets 35mpg in a 4000 lb car or they get fired. Let them sweat, scream, and cry for two years. Then when the chassis lab brings it to you at an inexpensive 3600 lbs and the powertrain guys bring you an inexpensive 30mpg you congratulate both groups and let the marketing guys add 200 lbs worth of BS.

Everybody wins.

Except Ford.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
"I want a bulimic Camaro that loses weight by throwing up useless parts"

...with lot's of PLASTIC surgery done to it's body.

Quick Reply: Camaro Chief Engineer:"we've called Jenny Craig"!