2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...back from Milford, ...my thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I think you hit the nail square on the head right there .
Actually when I had a free moment I decided to take a look at the previous models. At least since '05, the convertibles (GT and GT500, didn't find the data on the V6) have had softer springs and shocks, in some cases different sway bars. Basically they seem to be trying to optimize them for touring rather than handling. It isn't like they are alone in this regard, as many manufactures will make a drop top ride a little softer than a coupe. From a sales standpoint it makes sense; a 'vert is about having a good time cruising around with the top down so might as well soften it up and capture more mainstream buyers.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
You probably don't want to know what a Camaro SS convertible weighs.
Think about what a Z28 'vert would weigh. I'm guessing you'd be in the ballpark of the Cadillac SRX, maybe more.

In all seriousness it is really no surprise that the Camaro convertible would feel more "planted" or stable. IRS and a few hundred pounds will do that for ya.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 08-25-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by guionM
BTW:

You probably don't want to know what a Camaro SS convertible weighs.
Quick! Let's have another poll!

(...sorry - couldn't resist....
Old 08-26-2010, 01:34 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by dangalla
.... its possible, but the more obvious conclusion is that its just a placebo effect due to fanboy syndrome. which is ok, it happens all the time, everywhere in every hobby. i was just stating that i dont believe it

Fanboy?

Hmmmmm.....it's too bad we can't allow cameras to video everything said.

Let me assure you that while there is enthusiasm on the part of most disciples, they are not shy about telling us what they - and you -- want. That was the whole point in having 'disciples' -- do you know of any other manufacturer that has disciples? Yes, there are clinics - but I don't know of any other manufacturer of automobiles that is doing what the Camaro team is doing in terms of bringing people who are well-known in their local community to give input into the product.

Now - let me ask you a question: Let's assume you were picked as a disciple - and someone on a site called you a "fanboy" - -how do you think you would feel?

I think you should think twice about name-calling. In my opinion, it's insulting.

Last edited by Fbodfather; 08-26-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I think you hit the nail square on the head right there .
Yes, I do believe he did.

I'd also suggest that while I probably don't wish to know what a Convertible SS weighs, it is likely most potential buyers don't even care. This is similar to the belief that most potential Mustang Convertible owners aren't too worried about corner-carving, or how the car feels at 120+ mph.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by GMRL
First off, Im extremely jealous of you guys.
I know you guys cant comment much on what you saw and what was discussed. I trust that the input you guys provided reflected well on what we all want/dont want.
Can you provide any insight on issues concerning weight of the vehicle and power increases on any of the engines? How about suspension refinements?
Im holding off buying one for the next year or so. Reason for that is I want to see if there are any worthwhile changes for the 2012 model year.
I plan on buying an SS or a "certain" model if it becomes available. But I think it would be very cool to offer a performance package for the V6. Make it lighter, more powerful, and a tighter suspension.
...what we saw, ..and what we discussed, ....adressed about all you've noted above. One in particular, ...we were very impressed with. Seeing that the team was doing this was just another reflection, ...they ARE listening.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I don't see how reducing damping, reducing rear roll bar diameter, and switching to softer sidewall tires addresses a problem with structural rigidity....

...I also have to take any C&D analysis with a grain of salt. .

To the first part above, ...it may not address the problem, however (as noted) it may help 'minimize/mitigate' feeling the affect. C&D's comment does seem on the mark in this case.

But, not every buyer is the same. This softer ride may not only NOT be a problem for many, ...it may be desired.
Ref. HazMat's other post, ...this is SO true... :

"I have a feeling that Ford has a softer ride quality target with the convertible which is why they made the changes. Their research probably indicated that in their market the majority of Mustang buyers that opt for the 'vert prefer more comfort and less handling... "
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Quick! Let's have another poll!

(...sorry - couldn't resist....
What questions should we ask?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
What questions should we ask?
"how much do you think a convertable SS will weigh?"
Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

No need for that. The same 6 people will give the same answers that they did in the previous polls that were almost exactly like it.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
"how much do you think a convertable SS will weigh?"
Yeah, I know. I was just poking a little fun at Scott. Add about 150-175 pounds and you'll have your number.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM

Just something for GM to think about (hopefully it's been brought up and this will only reenforce the need for it)

On my mom's Cadillac key fob you have to hold the button for the hatch to pop open...this would be awesome on the trunk release for the Camaro...I'm constantly accidentally opening the trunk when climbing in the car, having to hold the button for a second or two would put a stop to me having to get back out of the car close the trunk and then climb back in.

Not a huge deal, but it would be nice...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by KevinK
I don't think we are allowed to answer that with a direct yes or no answer. I do however think it's safe for us to say, ...there was a lot of discussion on package content, ...new packages, etc.
Again, my apologies that I/we can't give a definitive answer.
I was just wondering if anyone ASKED the question. That is all I was hoping for!

-Geoff
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 AM

I wish there was a challenger convertible.... I'm always worried when you a compare a car 1 v 1. You lose the peripheral vision of comparing the car to more than one vehicle.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM

I think having a CTS-V coupe with its all powerful LSA on hand for the diciples to test drive says a lot about potential future Camaro product.

Quick Reply: ...back from Milford, ...my thoughts.