2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Autoextremist to beancounter: Don't screw up the Camaro!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:11 AM

Re: Autoextremist to beancounter: Don't screw up the Camaro!!

Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS

Just a quick thought to ponder for those who think that the inclusion of a pillar would mean that the rear windows would still open. When was the last time GM (or any other manufacturer, for that matter) put out a coupe with B-pillars with 3/4 windows that actually opened and without being pop-out vent windows?
Answers to the trivia question: BMW 6 series until 1989. All years of Acura Legend Coupe, produced until 1995.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
Why did you make the B-pillar body colored? It can very easily be black to hide it, plus you could put the door handle and lock there (like the Beretta) and give the doors a smooth, shaved look. Ooooh, the possiblities....
You don't really want those door handles on the B-Pillar like a Cutlass Supreme/Regal/Grand Prix coupe or Beretta Coupe. Why? Because it makes the convertible version difficult. You either have to incorporate the B pillar into the design of the vert (remember those Basket Handle Cutlasses?) or produce a new door stamping just for the vert to put the door handle on the door. Either way it adds cost. FWIW, I had a 95 Cutlass Supreme Coupe with those door handles, and they were cool looking and pretty functional as well. But just thought I would point out the downside.

I think that the concept as is looks better with no B-Pillar. Just adding the B-pilar like the photoshop above makes the greenhouse of the car look like a Ford Maverick to my eye.

To me, the B pillar doesn't look right unless you also convert to a wraparound 3rd/4th gen style hatch and eliminate the rear 1/4 windows.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:37 AM

There are some people here (and within GM) that need to take a ride in a first gen coupe on a nice summer's with all the windows open.

Then you'll understand why t-tops are unnecessary and b-pillars suck.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:42 AM

The more I ponder this, the more I'm thinking that since there has been a clear intent all along to bring this car to production, that the design teams had some production-reality limits placed on their concepts...

I mean-- GM knew it was going to actually build a new Camaro-- the new Mustang alone proved that, and with Dodge in the fray, they practically had no choice not to. I suspect that we'll likely see in our garages what we see on the NADAS floor, save for the glitzy interior and 21"/22" wheels...

Why?

For a car that's destined for production, it just makes more sense to come up with a production-ready/near concept-- erasing the lead time needed to reconfigure/shoe-horn legal requirements/manufacturing realities into an unrealistically designed car.

I'm thinking that this pretty thing will be B-pillar-less when she's in my home.

in 2010, when the 'vert/T-top/targa version comes out... that's another story... but the hardtop-- I think it'll be as we see it now, for all practical reasons.

Or maybe I'm just wishfully thinking and giving GM too much credit....
Old 01-19-2006, 11:59 AM

Quarter windows do not make up for T-Tops.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Quarter windows do not make up for T-Tops.
I agree.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:44 PM

Quarter windows MAKE the cars looks and proportions. They are mandatory.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:48 PM

I personally would like to wish death upon the bean counters
Old 01-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Its the pressure from upper management that (most of the time in a large company) makes the "beancounters" cut corners to save money. They save money to prove their worthyness.

If upper management realizes that those beancounters are hurting sales, then they could use a more understanding level pressure to save money without making a junk car.

Its the compromise of getting a cost efficient vehicle without turning buyers, or repeat buyers away that gets tricky.

Its the fault of the "bean counters" superiors that this happens. Their just covering their asses to keep their job.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
About the bean-counters.

We rented a Monte for the unveil weekend. Discovered that the seatback did not return to the set position, instead it locked in the most upright position. Had to be adjusted EVERY TIME the seat back got flipped forward. I was sure simply hadn't found the right release button, so I asked the Impala/Monte guy (sorry, I don't remember his name or title) at the Heritage Center reception. Turns out that's the way it is ... his explanation ... bean counters ... if they wanted a proper seat they needed to trade something else.

THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH A COMPANY THAT ALLOWS FEATURES THAT WILL CAUSE A PERSON TO SWEAR THEY WILL NEVER BUY FROM THAT COMPANY (AGAIN) TO GO INTO PRODUCTION.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.

Agreed on the B-pillar. That would destroy the look of the car.
My Recaro Cobalt seats are like that , I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT , its such a pain in the *** . Not to mention the complaints from anyone that has ever had to get in the back seat of my car . My old 91 sunbird even had release buttons and would would return the seat to the set position .

On the Camaro , a B-pillar would RUIN this car . It HAS TO HAVE NO damn b-pillar and roll down back windows . It was "one" of the coolest things about this concept .
Old 01-19-2006, 05:42 PM

I agree with the afore mentioned. The Camaro looks amazing without the b-pillar, i just couldnt take my eyes off that part of the car. It looks too right. I think it would just be a major mistake to have one, being that it will most definately take away from the sexy body lines. IMO, it would be worth a reasonable price increase to keep our camaro without the b-pillar.

One more thing, I am a die hard t-top person. After seeing the roof on the camaro, i could never see that car with t-tops. It is flat out beautiful. The car is a work of art.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:53 PM

I just wanted to say that I don't care if it has B-Pillars or not.

Kindly carry on.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I just wanted to say that I don't care if it has B-Pillars or not.

Kindly carry on.
B-pillars addd weight...
Old 01-19-2006, 08:31 PM

My first impression is no B pillar, and I'd really like to keep it that way. I have to admit, the photoshop doesn't look too bad, if the B pillars can be made that narrow, butl ony if they are narrow.

I think the quarter windows on the mustang are strange. Too small, too much sheet metal around them.

They really need to fire those kind of bean counters, they're the ones that got GM into this mess.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
B-pillars addd weight...
Burn them at the stake!

Quick Reply: Autoextremist to beancounter: Don't screw up the Camaro!!