2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Autoextremist to beancounter: Don't screw up the Camaro!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 07:59 PM

Autoextremist to beancounter: Don't screw up the Camaro!!

GM. Fresh off the triumphant return of the Camaro at this year's Detroit Auto Show, rumblings coming from deep within GM's Design Staff suggest all is not well with getting the "right" car into production (it will be made by the way, despite Bob Lutz' vague statements to the contrary during its introduction). A major stumbling point? Right now, there is an intense debate going on about the need for a "B"-pillar. Right-minded designers are adamant that the "B"-pillar is not necessary structurally for safety and most critically, for aesthetic reasons and that it wouldn't be an authentic Camaro with a "B"-pillar, period. The bean counters, of course, are saying that to do the car without a "B"-pillar would be too costly. If there were ever a time when the bean counters should be told to step aside at GM, it's this one. The Camaro concept cannot be built with a "B"-pillar, it would literally destroy the whole freakin' car. Add in the fact that all the engineering to support a pillar-less design for the convertible version is already in place, and you have the no-brainer of this young year. If GM screws up this car, there is no hope - so it's really quite simple: Don't.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:20 PM

Re: Autoextremist to beancounter: Don't screw up the Camaro!!

Can't they just yield in this case... just one isolated case?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM

so maybe something to do with whether they can get T-tops on there or not? i thought i heard that they wouldn't be able to do it w/o the "B" pillar

i have 2 3rd gen camaros and the one with the T-tops is a lot more fun to be cruising around town on a nice day

i think a lot of the average drivers that get a car, like a camaro, get it for the "fun" factor, this little option adds to that (i will probably be getting one w/o anyways but just think it is an important option to have for the car)

Last edited by LrngCrv; 01-18-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Can't they just yield in this case... just one isolated case?
No-- if these mindless accountants want their damned company to stay solvent and sell cars, they need to quit looking through the wrong side of the telescope ans realize that THEY are the reason their company sucks--

God, I'm sick of this.

Note to GM-- COMMON SENSE WORKS-- don't **** away the good thing you've got going. Again. For the exact same reasons you've screwed up your products for ages.

Jeeze...

Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 PM

Well I say if the accountants can't build the car without the "B-Pillar" then GM should give up on the CAMARO altogether!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM

I think having the whole side open like it is, partly negates a need for T-Tops.
I remember my '67 Bird, felt plenty "open", and I didn't even dream of cutting up the lines of that car with T-Tops.
Besides, with the whole side open and maybe a Moon/sun roof, or even "his & hers" roofs who knows by then, no one will miss T-tops.
edit: Oh, and I hope the beancounters aren't allowed to "cheapen" our car this time, especially on it's return debut.

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-18-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:43 PM

Mr. Wagoner, Mr. Lutz, start firing bean counters that think a B pillar is a good idea .

David
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 PM

One of the reasons the first gen cars look so good is because they have quarter windows. Thats also why the concept looks so good. Take away the quarter windows or add a B pillar to them and its going to look like junk!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:22 PM

I agree. I'd love to have t-tops, but I'd rather have no B-piller.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Disciple

About the bean-counters.

We rented a Monte for the unveil weekend. Discovered that the seatback did not return to the set position, instead it locked in the most upright position. Had to be adjusted EVERY TIME the seat back got flipped forward. I was sure simply hadn't found the right release button, so I asked the Impala/Monte guy (sorry, I don't remember his name or title) at the Heritage Center reception. Turns out that's the way it is ... his explanation ... bean counters ... if they wanted a proper seat they needed to trade something else.

THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH A COMPANY THAT ALLOWS FEATURES THAT WILL CAUSE A PERSON TO SWEAR THEY WILL NEVER BUY FROM THAT COMPANY (AGAIN) TO GO INTO PRODUCTION.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.

Agreed on the B-pillar. That would destroy the look of the car.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:54 PM

When Nissan began their remarkable turnaround from near-death... the cost cutting was made on the items you didn't see (from the driver's seat)... things like omitting engine covers, cupholders, electric rear windows etc...

Not suggesting they look at omitting such items from the base Camaro... but you get my drift.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Prominent Member

Sorry, but I don't buy this...this car was a waste of $15 million dollars IF the dumbass accountants are just NOW trying to be engineers and designers....someone get me a gun.....
Old 01-18-2006, 11:01 PM

i will refrain from posting my honest opinion on this seeing as how it will be mostly vulgarities.

to put it simply:
NO! THAT'S A BAD BEAN-COUNTER! NO B-PILLAR! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! LEAVE THE CAR THE WAY IT IS! GO TO YOUR ROOM AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST SUGGESTED! NO!

thank you
Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
things like omitting engine covers
This is one thing I would like to see gone, and if it helps cut cost, more for the better.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
This is one thing I would like to see gone, and if it helps cut cost, more for the better.
Me too. I just hate engine covers. What ever happened to good looking engines, bare naked, for the world to see.

Quick Reply: Autoextremist to beancounter: Don't screw up the Camaro!!