2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else tired of waiting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by hyperv6

Word to the wise I would keep my eyes and ears open as this thing is far enough along we will have parts of the car around us and we may not even know it. The C5 was under a Camaro for a long time before we saw the car. I expect GM to do a fair amount of testing here too soon.

Too often we see something here and never know what we missed. Too often what we crave is in plain sight and we just don't know it.
With production startup as close as it is, you can bet this is definitely happening right now!
The challenge, as you suggest, is being able to see thru GM's clever "disguises"!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 08-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by RichardZ SS
WHOA WHOA WHOA, BTF up a little! If you read my post, then you would see that I NEVER said I wasnt gonna buy one WHEN they do finally get here. In fact, I thought I made it pretty damn clear that when they do get here and the top options are available I should be in shape to BUY ONE THEN.
Ok, I didn't say anything about when you'd buy one - my issue is simply with the notion of the wait being too long and then lamenting that fact. Frankly, if you want to buy something else, I don't even see a reason to post it - especially with a tag like "Is anyone else sick of waiting?", or with comments about "waiting and waiting and waiting" - you make it sound like it's been SO long for this car when in automotive terms it isn't.

I'd much rather be the one who waited that extra year or so and got the car I want instead of one of the ones who scooped up the first yr that came out and had to eat all that depreciation when I traded it in the very next year. When do you plan on buying yours by the way? Just how F-body loyal are you anyway? We've owned SIX of em and fully plan on buying a 5th gen when they get here.
How F-body loyal am I??? So this is a "mine is bigger than yours" thing now, is it? Loyalty has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I think it's about losing focus about what really matters - it's not the date the car is coming, it's the fact that the car is being reborn. Why not enjoy that fact? Why not relish the idea? My '99 T/A is my first f-body and was the car of my dreams since I was 7 years old - it took me longer to get it than I wanted, but I got it - and since then I've driven it every single day. 164,000 miles later its age is showing and I have seriously mixed emotions about the new car - it's VERY cool, and I absolutely LOVE the design - but at the same time, I'd be giving up my first dream car - my Trans Am - which is not likely to *ever* return. Could I keep it? Yeah - but there are other things in my life that prevent that right now. So I continue to drive my T/A, and relish every minute, ignore the squeaks and rattles, and hope it keeps going until the new car comes. It'll probably be at 200,000 miles by then, and if at the time I decide I can't wait the extra year for a Z/28, then I will get a car the first year......but right now, that can wait.....right now, my T/A is here and it's fun and it's as eye-catching as the first day off the lot.....and if waiting is torturous, then it is the most blissful torture.......THAT is my point.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:53 PM

Maybe it's just me but a year and a half doesn't really seem like a long time for me. I'm also waiting for a topdog conv. But I'm really nervous because the money I would have had for a down payment I'm going to start my own business. But if it works, In a year I'll be able to buy whatever car I want.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 PM

I knew it'd be a lonnnng wait when I first set my eyes on this car and fell in love with it. There's days when I'm super impatient and start looking at options coming out earlier but then I visit sites like this and it reinvigorates me! Keep the faith folks!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by sselie
With production startup as close as it is, you can bet this is definitely happening right now!
The challenge, as you suggest, is being able to see thru GM's clever "disguises"!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Yes your on the money here. GM has taken hiding in plain sight to new levels. Many times mules we see are ment to vbe seen and are no acccident they are aut in the open.

Ever since the 4th Gen leak things at GM are a lot tighter and things like the Airport Blue Devil pictures are getting rare.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:55 PM

We bought the SS in Dec. of 1999. Tammy, (my wife) has been driving it almost ever since and right now it's only got 55K on it. When they ceased production of the F-body in '02 I heard wild rumors that possibly it would be back in '07. That didnt bother me too bad, because I knew by then I should be in decent shape to buy one. Well '07 is here and the '08s will be hitting the lots soon and now its pretty set in stone that the Camaro wont be back till first 1/4 of '09. Add that to the fact that in all likelyhood the "top dog, big secret engine combo" wont be out till at least a year after that and let's just say life is too damn short to spend it waiting on a friggin car that we cant even get any details on and I just got tired of it all and bought something else! NO, ITS NOT A FORD OR A DODGE! We picked up a new '06 Torrid Red GTO a couple days ago and we got it for LESS than we paid for the SS 8 years ago! For those that might not know, it's an LS2, 400 HP, 400 ft lbs TQ and the quality is light years ahead of the SS! Who knows, in 3 or 4 years when the top Camaro FINALLY hits the dealerships I might pick one up then but life is too short to wait on pipe dreams and promises. Live for today because none of us are guaranteed tomorrow!
Congrats on the GTO. One of my favorites. I haven't heard a single regret from anyone who bought one.

I've never understood the "waiter" of the Camaro crowd. I can see the person who wants a new Camaro, and is saving his pennies over the years to get one, or the person who wants to make his or her 1st new car purchase a Camaro. But I just don't get those who claim they have been sitting around waiting since 2002 to buy a new Camaro. If they have actually needed a new car since then, I just don't get sitting around 7 years for a car. If they'd bought a new one in 2002, 2003, or even 2004, the thing would be paid off by now or at least by the time the Camaro comes out.

The only reason Camaro (and the bigger Dodge Challenger) is coming back is because the sales success of the new Mustang gave a big kick to those within GM who have been trying to get a new one in showrooms since the late 90s when the program was killed. Every Mustang sale was another reason to bring back Camaro. So was every GTO sale.

The 5th gen Camaro isn't going to be a single year car, it's going to be around multiple years (save a direct meteor hit on the plant). There's also likely to be some serious scalping the 1st year or so. There's nothing wrong with buying something now if your car is falling to pieces and buy a 2012 Camaro Z28, well after the scalping and any issues have long been resolved.

As for anyone hoping to ACTUALLY purchase the "Super Camaro" when it comes out better be rich or else be committed and morgage most of what you own because it's likely to have Shelby GT500 type markups.

The 5th gen isn't going to be a onetime/oneyear shot. Just because you bought a GTO today, doesn't mean you're excluded from buying a Camaro after the initial rush and hype.

Afterall, it's going to be people like you we're depending on to show GM that Camaro sales have legs.... very important when you're laying down plans for a sequel.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Yes the wait is long and painful too since there are not current Camaro's to buy. But it sounds like you have picked a fine car to drive until then in the GTO. No need to stop having fun while waiting. Congrats.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 AM

I agree with Guy, no need to wait on Camaro. If you need a new car or want a newer fun car, then go buy one, life's too short to wait around on stuff. However its great knowing that the new Camaro is right around the corner so you can always buy one later.

As for me, the 4th gen will be paid off in 6 months, plus some time to stock up a nice down payment puts the new Camaro's release in perfect timing for me
Old 08-12-2007, 02:15 PM

Yeah the wait is killer. Plus we really dont even know what powertrains will be offered.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM

If there's another car out there that catches your fancy, then spring for it. Nothing out there so far has done it for me, although the new corvette is causing an itch. The concept challenger is also growing on me. Especially with that new lifetime warranty. An all Black Challenger or All Black Camaro.....
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM

Looking for a nice 4thgen SS to put around in right now

still cant wait for the 5thgen thou...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by FactoryZ
If there's another car out there that catches your fancy, then spring for it.
I can only see that being feasible if-

1- You're someone that can pay in full (or nearly in full) in cash.

2- You're going to keep the car you purchase now until it's paid off before getting a new Camaro.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for a vehicle in full upon purchase. And if I got a new vehicle with a 5 year loan I'd only have a year and a half paid on the new car. It would almost definitely be upside down when I went to trade it in on a Camaro.

So, for me at least, keeping my current put-put mobile (as much as it pains me to do so) for another year and a half or so.

My father, on the other hand, just traded his 2006 Eclipse for a 2007 Charger (base model) and only had to pay like $4000. He plans on trading the Charger for a Camaro (V6 cause he just wants it for a nice looking weekend car) after I get mine.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by JB22
Looking for a nice 4thgen SS to put around in right now
I saw a 2002 listed in my local paper for $20,000 a week ago.

I only remember it had 12,000 miles.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:19 PM

My name Is tammy & even though I am not your wife I am not tired of waiting because I know that its going to be good, Of course I have to wait a year longer than those who want the coupe because I want a vert.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by FactoryZ
If there's another car out there that catches your fancy, then spring for it. Nothing out there so far has done it for me, although the new corvette is causing an itch. The concept challenger is also growing on me. Especially with that new lifetime warranty. An all Black Challenger or All Black Camaro.....
Well, I'm getting a little impatient for information, but like others, the expected release date works into my financial favor much better. I did finally get to see the red pusher in DC over the weekend and after seeing it, I can say that I am not feeling as impatient as before. I think just getting to see something in person helped me. NOW, I still wish there was one in my garage beside my 68, but I've learned to be patient. Tougher for some, I know, but with early production scheduled to begin in Oct 2008, we are just around the corner from seeing the production car and starting to hear some other details I'm sure.

I agree though, if someone sees a car they want, go for it if it fits your finances. Ultimately, it's your decision and it will only affect you.....and make more cars available for the rest of us. HAHAHA.

I've also had the Corvette itch lately, especially with some of the reported outputs of the LS3. I'm holding out for our beloved Camaro though until I hear something that I don't like and start re-thinking it. Don't think it's gonna happen, but, gotta keep your options open. The Challenger is also a good looking car, you can't argue that. I might give my friends crap for driving something other than GMs, but I can still appreciate a good looking car. I haven't hear recently, but I remember hearing that they were going to be limited runs of 30,000 or so. Anyone have an update. I can definitely see some "fair market value" adders there.

I think as soon as some actual verified information is available, everyone will be able to take a step back and relax. GM is keeping this information tight-lipped now so, I hope, they'll hit the showrooms with an upper hand. Only time will tell, and we can't speed up the clock.......yet!!

Quick Reply: Anybody else tired of waiting?