2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

Old 01-08-2006, 10:02 AM

Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

I have a 2005 GTO and a 1996 Camaro and my love for both of them is that it's not based on somthing from the 60's I'm really getting sick and tired of having the sixties jammed down my throat! I hated the new mustang, and I'm not too fond of the 5th gen pics I've seen thus far, if they go with a retro interior I will definately buy somthing else. I wish Detroit would get a clue and stop this BabyBoomer mid-life crisis phase and actually start making NICE CARS! I know a million people are going to hate this but I think that's why the 4th gen was so popular. It was such a break off from the old cars and was really neat thats why they still sell for a decent price. Can a really nice 96 be had for less than 7K? that's proof in my book and it's now a 10 year old car
Old 01-08-2006, 10:12 AM

Re: Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

I think that people that don't like retro, will be pushed towards the GTO. What other options do you have? The mustang, camaro, and challenger are all retro fitted in their own way.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:15 AM

To answer you question, NO, you are not the only one. I think this retro craze shows a total lack of imagination, innovation, and foresight. I will spare everyone from saying what I have said in the past.

The biggest dissapointment I have is recalling the first time a saw a 4th gen. This was the first time I had seen the intoduction of a Camaro and I was totally blown away. It looked so cool and looked like nothing I had ever seen and nothing else on the road bar none. I said that instant that I would have to buy that car. I truely am saddened that I can't say the same for this car.

It is good I guess that this car seems to be liked by most f-body enthusiasts and it shows that GM didn't alienate thier past fans but that is little consolation to me.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:38 AM

The 4th gen was popular?? Not if your going by sales numbers.

I can't speculate if the 5th gen would be a better seller. I assume production wouldn't be a high but I bet they would sit on dealer lots for long either.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
To answer you question, NO, you are not the only one. I think this retro craze shows a total lack of imagination, innovation, and foresight. I will spare everyone from saying what I have said in the past.

The biggest dissapointment I have is recalling the first time a saw a 4th gen. This was the first time I had seen the intoduction of a Camaro and I was totally blown away. It looked so cool and looked like nothing I had ever seen and nothing else on the road bar none. I said that instant that I would have to buy that car. I truely am saddened that I can't say the same for this car.

It is good I guess that this car seems to be liked by most f-body enthusiasts and it shows that GM didn't alienate thier past fans but that is little consolation to me.
I couldn't have said it better Back when my dad bought his 93 when they were new He and I both fell in love with the styling. and it was no surprise that when I bought my first one it was the 96 When I see this, it just has no originality. come on GM, you never see BMW making a RETRO vehicle it's a step backwards it means you have nothing else to give, , It's definately a negative in my book
Old 01-08-2006, 11:10 AM

Everyone else in this thread is not alone...I'm very disappointed. It's not that the car looks bad, it's just that it's not what I envisioned as being the next Camaro. The new Camaro should have been an evolution of the 4th generation. I remember when I was a little kid when the 4th gen first came out saying to myself that is what I want as my first car. It was a car that was bada$$ then and continues to be bada$$ now...This new Camaro may be better looking then the competition, but that isn't saying anything at all anymore...The competition is pathetic and I despise the fact the GM is playing into all this retro crap, (especially since they are a couple years late to the party).
Old 01-08-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by JOE96Z28SS
come on GM, you never see BMW making a RETRO vehicle

Last edited by 97z28/m6; 01-08-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6

Where is the Z8 now?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:18 AM

I'm not disappointed in retro per se. I think retro can be executed well. I like the styling of the Mustang and the PT Cruiser and the Challenger looks pretty good. On the other hand I don't care for the HHR or SSR and I'm not impressed by the Camaro concept pix so far. I would have preferred an evolution of the 4th gen.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Where is the Z8 now?
same place the camaros at.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:24 AM

I too am disappointed with all of the retro designs coming out, but hopefully the new Camaro will grow on me. I will say though, that of the 3 retro designs (Ford, DCX & Chevy), the Camaro is my favorite. I am not sold on it though, and will need to wait and see a production model before I decide if I'll be buying one.

Maybe with a few tweeks to the cars nose and tail I'd be a bit more taken buy it. Its got nice, bold styling... but isnt exactly my cup of tea. I do see teh car having good mass appeal though.

After seeing the concept, I think I'd be more likely to buy a 2006 Vette in 2009 than a 2009 Camaro.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Exterior, I think it looks good (of course there are LITTLE things I would change). It is a Camaro, I think there should be a progression from generation to generation, not necessarily an entirely unique design everytime.

Interior, I have not seen anything thing except drawings (but there are a lot of things I don't really like in the drawings). The actual interior will probably be softer (i.e. less retro) especially by the time production hits. But I'm still waiting to see the actual concept interior.

Remember we are still getting pictures of a concept car that hasn't even been unvieled.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stock Z

Remember we are still getting pictures of a concept car that hasn't even been unvieled.
are you sure?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by slayerxxx213
The new Camaro should have been an evolution of the 4th generation. I remember when I was a little kid when the 4th gen first came out saying to myself that is what I want as my first car. It was a car that was bada$$ then and continues to be bada$$ now...
Hey, I love the 4th Gen...had a '94 Z28 and love my '01 SS...but it's time to realize the 4th Gen was a failure to the mass public. It may not have even been about pure "styling", but if you were GM, would you bank on that? Honestly, I wouldn't base my new pony car off of one that didn't survive before...

I never have liked retro, but I see this concept as easily being the most modern of the 3 new pony cars we've seen to date. Yeah, there's things I see that I really like and some I don't. Do we know that grill is going to make production? Tail lights? I doubt that interior will make production...so I guess we just have to wait and see.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Hey, I love the 4th Gen...had a '94 Z28 and love my '01 SS...but it's time to realize the 4th Gen was a failure to the mass public. It may not have even been about pure "styling", but if you were GM, would you bank on that? Honestly, I wouldn't base my new pony car off of one that didn't survive before...
I agree that GM was probably hesitant to make an evolution of the 4th gen but that doesn't mean that the only other option is to turn down the road of retro. Don't forget, Chevy had a new modern design that was scrapped because of the retro Mustang. This was THE PERFECT oportunity to show and shock the world what the new modern Camaro was all about and dispell those old stereotypes. Now, those same sterotypes are going to continue because "retro" does not say modern or foward-thinking, it is reverting to the PAST and the buyers GM wants and needs will see this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???