2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

Old 01-08-2006, 12:54 PM

Re: Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???

Retro Camaro or no Camaro at all? It's better than nothing. We wanted the Camaro and now we got it. I personally dont like retro, but i think this car looks real good.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:54 PM

Well, I just showed my dad pictures of the car...He's not really into cars at all but his response was..."It looks almost exactly like a Mustang. It's a nice looking car but it looks like a Mustang." I'm sure that most of the general, non-obsessed, non-enthusiast public will have a similar reaction. This is the problem, GM is not going to convince people to buy a Camaro instead of a Mustang when people see it and immediately think that it's a copy of the Mustang. I personally don't feel that it looks like a Mustang per se, but then again, I would fall into that obsessed enthusiast group. GM would be much better served by going with a design that people would feel is ground breaking and revolutionary vs. just doing a rendition of what Ford has already done.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:55 PM

There is retro, because frankly the muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's were works of art. The timeless design of a 1st gen Camaro is still fresh looking today as it was 35 years ago.

I'm tired of the same old soapbox crap coming out of the manufactuers today. With a few exceptions cars today are boring as hell.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:55 PM

Gawd, I hope that's not the real thing - IMHO: What's with the small windows? Performance cars need great visibility, (Didn't GM wrap the rear window in 1971 just because of complaints?) Like wow, please ditch those trendy "chuckwagon" wheels with those tiny sidewall tires, which are not at all practical for real world driving. Hey, what's with those "Dumbo" rear view mirrors, and where are the "T-tops", and, finally, it just cries "expensive"!

And, as I understand it, there isn't even a corporate platform for it yet...

Well here's hoping it goes over well enough that at least some consideration is given to production...
Old 01-08-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by emarkay
and, finally, it just cries "expensive"!
Would you rather it scream "cheap!"?

The other things you addressed are fixable, or will not make production. I am concerned with the almost "gunslit" side windows though. That's the common complaint of the Chrysler LX cars...visibility is quite poor, and you feel like you're sitting in a bunker.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:04 PM

I showed someone the pic yesterday and they said "That looks exactly like the Challenger."
Old 01-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Would you rather it scream "cheap!"?
OK, how about "affordable"; Let the people that most want and appreciate these cars be able to own them. Skip the OnStar, the tinny chrome dash, and any other non "go-fast and turn sharp" doo-dads and keep it under 25K base!

I know it's only a concept, believe me I know how great ideas get diluted in the industry, I was just doing a 'gut reaction'.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:11 PM

I got a few more "it looks like a Mustang" comments when showing the new pic. I showed the pic to some people and they had no idea what it was and when I told them, they were totally surprised and said "that doesn't look like a Camaro". Is that good? If the Camaro came out first, people would say that the Mustang looks like a Camaro, but it's comming out third.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by emarkay
OK, how about "affordable"; Let the people that most want and appreciate these cars be able to own them. Skip the OnStar, the tinny chrome dash, and any other non "go-fast and turn sharp" doo-dads and keep it under 25K base!
I'm sure the price tag can speak for itself. Wouldn't you rather it look more expensive than it is? Solstice does just that. People seeing the MSRP are suffering from reverse sticker shock.

I wouldn't worry too much about the price. This car HAS to be competitively priced with the Mustang. It simply must.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:39 PM

Everytime someone says it looks like a mustang or it doesn't look like a Camaro, show them a pic of a '69 Camaro. Then the heritage becomes obvious. To the lay person, all two-door sports cars are going to look alike. (BTW my wife just informed that we have to buy one and she WILL drive it....that won't work so it looks like I have to buy two.)
Old 01-08-2006, 02:44 PM

Its funny that so many people are getting the Mustang comments. My mom said it looked like a combination between a Mustang and a Chrysler. I think she was referring to the Crossfire...
Old 01-08-2006, 02:58 PM

okay Im not going to read everything..but ..the reason for RETRO??

Simple..American car companies have been trying to make import copies for the last almost 20 years. Everything has been bubble, egg and import styling.

Its a step back to go forward..call it retro..whatever..I call it american style..they gotta get back into how to build an american car...the 300C is proof of this..the Charger also..it builds on the American car design.its an American design..The Camaro you see I do not see retro I see American car design..so what it has the 69 grill..it should its a Camaro..I love the GTO and this new Camaro is too..its all for everyones taste..

call it retro I call it back to basics..
Old 01-08-2006, 03:17 PM

Its not so much the styling that disappoints me (I've had months to accept it), it's more the effects it will have on performance. It is going to have a Cd of 0.34-0.35 with more frontal area than the 4th gen. Even with 400Hp that front end will aerodynamically limit its top speed to 160mph or so (the 300HP GT can only get to 147mph). The LS-1 4th gens could get up to 170 (sans speed limiter).

BTW, all the people (~5 non Camaro enthusiast) I've shown the pictures to say it looks like a Mustang.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
okay Im not going to read everything..but ..the reason for RETRO??

Simple..American car companies have been trying to make import copies for the last almost 20 years. Everything has been bubble, egg and import styling.

Its a step back to go forward..call it retro..whatever..I call it american style..they gotta get back into how to build an american car...the 300C is proof of this..the Charger also..it builds on the American car design.its an American design..The Camaro you see I do not see retro I see American car design..so what it has the 69 grill..it should its a Camaro..I love the GTO and this new Camaro is too..its all for everyones taste..

call it retro I call it back to basics..
You can get back to basics with copying a specific design. The Charger and 300 are not retro. They utilize what Americans do well and build upon that but they are not retro at all. They are big, bold, and powerful and that is what America does better than anyone. Retro is not needed to accomplish this. Retro is just a failure of imagination.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM

I'm not a big fan of retro styling. I'm really disappointed in the front end of the new design. I guess the good news for GM is I won't be in a position to buy the car when it comes out anyway

I don't normally visit this forum, but thought I would check in to see what people think of the concept. Sadly, I was expecting a sort of reaction like this. The Camaro didn't sell because GM did not make it stand out, and the way you make a car stand out is advertising. The car offered good performance for the price, good styling and even good gas mileage if you had a six speed. So now GM is jumping on the retro bandwagon, it seems as if they are headed down the same road of the Camaro not standing out.

In it's defense, I think the car looks ok aside from the front end. In my opinion that front end needs to be ditched and completely started over. I agree with some of the opinions, no retro, go forward!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I the only one Dissapointed in retro???