2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 Camaro Military Discount

Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 AM

I'm gonna order mine the day I pin on O-3. That jump in salary should just cover the payment. WHen I get back from my first deployment, I'll pay the bastard off.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by guionM

At 60 months or 72 months, payments drop to $500 per month with a few grand down on a $29K Camaro (less with military discount). Again, I'm not sure how different things are in the Army, but in the Navy and Coast Guard at E4 you start getting sea pay. 2 years active duty about $160, 3 years $280. A 3 year E4's sea pay is half a Camaro payment.
Just in case you were curious, everyone gets sea pay now. 50 to 75 for less than two years sea time for paygrades E-1 to E-3.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
E4 in less than a year? Only if they come in the service at E3.

Even so, at 1758 per month (there's no state taxes in most all states for active duty military), the deduction for Fed taxes is roughly 30% of base pay only. So at $1100 net pay, and no housing or food costs, and again, with the right priorities, even a sub-2 year E4 can buy a Camaro SS if he wants one. Since base pay is essentially what we used to call drinking money (everything else is taken care of) using half for a car is painless.... unless you actually do use base pay as drinking money.

At 60 months or 72 months, payments drop to $500 per month with a few grand down on a $29K Camaro (less with military discount). Again, I'm not sure how different things are in the Army, but in the Navy and Coast Guard at E4 you start getting sea pay. 2 years active duty about $160, 3 years $280. A 3 year E4's sea pay is half a Camaro payment.

Last duty station (Monterey California) had a few coasties using their rent allowence to make monthly payments on houses (bought with fed back loans). They were barely making it (all were families). When time was coming up to transfer, they would sell the houses and pocket an obscene amount of money (though they wouldn't be able to use that loan again... one use only).

The brand new '03 Terminator Cobra on my base in San Diego I occasionally mention was owned by an E5 who bought the car new (with a healthy amount of cash down) when he was still an E4, thanks to a WestPac, a SouthPac, and more common sense at port calls than I ever had. His monthly payments were a fraction of what my then my '97 Z28 (on it's 5th and final year of payments). I'm sure an Army or Marine E4 coming off of a 6-12 month tour in Iraq (I think the actual tours are 15 months, though) will have more than enough to step off the plane and walk into a Chevy dealer if that was his priority and he or she had no rugrats to tend to.
I made E-4 inside of 4 months.

Also, I wasn't meaning to say buying the car can't be done. Again, everyone's idea of "reasonable" is going to be different. What I'm saying is just because a person "can" do something doesn't necessarily mean they should do it.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Or you could put your Warrant packet in and let that pay raise pay for it. 2 years after that automatic promotion to CW2, 4 years later CW3 plus $650 a month flight pay at 6 years of aviation duty. There's your next car payment right there!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Air Force E4 is 22 months. I sewed on as fast as I could, below the zone by six months.

Thats coming in E3. Great thread, if indeed dealers will honor what GM is saying, it'll be a lot of motivation to purchase a car from them.

If GM can survive, that is.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by theroad64
Air Force E4 is 22 months. I sewed on as fast as I could, below the zone by six months.

Thats coming in E3. Great thread, if indeed dealers will honor what GM is saying, it'll be a lot of motivation to purchase a car from them.

If GM can survive, that is.

Make sure you save up a nice down payment while you're over there!

Thanks for your service!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Unorthodox_Racing
this is why i hate forums. if i were to post a thread saying that drag and down force on a car are 2 totally different factors i guarantee 20 mother-f*ckers would reply saying they are the same thing. or nevermind the fact im the same guy that can change his plug wires on an lt1 camaro in under 45 mins but yet it takes everyone else on here 3+ hours (can you say incompetent?) . i have a bachelors in aviation maintenance with a minor in aerodynamics and a second bachelors in aeronautics. i am faa certified to work on any god dang thing that can fly... in the world... therefore i believe im capable of changing a lousy set of plug wires on a camaro in 45 mins (would you like my instructional video?). i am 22 years old and instead of going out into the world and earning what i am worth i decided to join the army and serve just as my grandfathers, father, uncles, and brothers. the fact of the matter is it doesn't matter how much you know your sh*t or what you are talking about there will always be some washed up over-the-hill guy who worked for gm 63 years ago come along and try to shut someone down.
how about you email and call gm and talk to their reps personally and have stuff mailed and faxed to you?! i know what i've been promised and have it in writing... wait isn't that called a contract? no way... damn if i only would have gotten my masters... then i could compete with the rest of you nay-sayers.
you're lucky im sober or i would have gotten ruthless lol
2 bachelor degrees by 22

Oh and try and have a dealer honor anything in writing
Old 12-04-2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bigrus
2 bachelor degrees by 22

Oh and try and have a dealer honor anything in writing
You know, if he joined the Army when he was 17, it might not be that far fetched that he would be motivated enough to get two degrees.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:12 AM

My wife had 2 bachelor degrees at 22, and a third at 24 now almost a masters at 26. Why is there always somebody out there that cant accept ANYTHING. You probably also make the comment FAKE to every video you watch on youtube or anything else. If anything at all doesnt seem like you could do it, it must be fake. There's always someone!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 AM

As with any incentive you must find a dealer that is willing to honor it...GM dealers like GM are bleeding $$$ big time right now..if the new Camaro does in fact get built .. keep in mind there is a chance that GM will be belly up soon ... you may have a hard time finding a dealer that will sell a hot new car at GM Supplier pricing. If the government has a "car czar" in charge of GM's opperations a high performance V8 powered car might not fit in with the democrates idea of what should be produced as far as GMs products goes.