2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 Camaro Military Discount

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:40 AM

2010 Camaro Military Discount

I recently talked to a GM Rep about the new 2010 Camaro. I was browsing around for deals and what not trying to decide if I can afford the new Camaro on E4 pay. Then behold... GM offers military discount. I, ofcourse, want the 2SS... go big or go home right?! Well anyways I couldn't find any info on their website about it so I decided to email GM. Within 2 hours I had a quote of $5k off msrp... the same price dealers pay is what he told me. So the quote I was given on a 2010 2SS was 34k and with the military dicount it came out to almost 29k. Not only that but GM also has the biggest... I mean BIGGEST military discount out of any car maker... PERIOD.
For those of you who are military and are deployed, deploying or are coming back from deployment, check out GM. The discount is across the board for GM vehicles.
(just to be nosy i checked out the new standard vette. new is 49k, military is 43k. you decide)
GO GM OR GO HOME
Old 11-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 AM

Sorry to be the bad guy but you are wrong. Military pricing is GM Supplier price and it's not 5k off MSRP GM employee which is better than military is not 5k off. How do I know I've been selling chevy's for 10 years. Also military pricing is just like any other incentive I as a dealer do not have to honor it and most won't right away. So I would find a dealer that will honor it first and not get your info from GM also in the original pricing posted shows GM Employee and I believe might show GM supplier so if you do the math you will see even employee on a loaded 2ss is still in the 33+ range your not going to be in the 29k.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Unorthodox_Racing
I recently talked to a GM Rep about the new 2010 Camaro. I was browsing around for deals and what not trying to decide if I can afford the new Camaro on E4 pay. Then behold... GM offers military discount. I, ofcourse, want the 2SS... go big or go home right?!
For those of you who are military and are deployed, deploying or are coming back from deployment, check out GM. The discount is across the board for GM vehicles.
I agree. I think their military discount is outstanding.

However, being in the military over 16 years myself, I know what an E-4 makes, and there's no way in hell you can reasonably afford a 2SS, unless you want to end up living in your car, and unless you somehow have another source of income.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:16 PM

When I was active I bought an '05 Silverado Z71, and they only gave me about $500 off for my military discount. Granted, this was back in June '05, but I can't imagine they would give such a substantial discount. If so, great for all of our service boys that are saving up their hard-earned money for the ride of their life.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 AM

this is why i hate forums. if i were to post a thread saying that drag and down force on a car are 2 totally different factors i guarantee 20 mother-f*ckers would reply saying they are the same thing. or nevermind the fact im the same guy that can change his plug wires on an lt1 camaro in under 45 mins but yet it takes everyone else on here 3+ hours (can you say incompetent?) . i have a bachelors in aviation maintenance with a minor in aerodynamics and a second bachelors in aeronautics. i am faa certified to work on any god dang thing that can fly... in the world... therefore i believe im capable of changing a lousy set of plug wires on a camaro in 45 mins (would you like my instructional video?). i am 22 years old and instead of going out into the world and earning what i am worth i decided to join the army and serve just as my grandfathers, father, uncles, and brothers. the fact of the matter is it doesn't matter how much you know your sh*t or what you are talking about there will always be some washed up over-the-hill guy who worked for gm 63 years ago come along and try to shut someone down.
how about you email and call gm and talk to their reps personally and have stuff mailed and faxed to you?! i know what i've been promised and have it in writing... wait isn't that called a contract? no way... damn if i only would have gotten my masters... then i could compete with the rest of you nay-sayers.
you're lucky im sober or i would have gotten ruthless lol
Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
I agree. I think their military discount is outstanding.

However, being in the military over 16 years myself, I know what an E-4 makes, and there's no way in hell you can reasonably afford a 2SS, unless you want to end up living in your car, and unless you somehow have another source of income.
Which branch of service? That makes a huge difference.

The military provides housing so he wouldn't be living in his car regardless of outcome. Also, the number of years in service determines pay. E4 base pay hits about 2 grand on the 4th year.

Being in the military, unmarried, living on base, is enough to cover the payments if willing to curtail one's social life.

In the Navy, at E4 there's also sea pay. Makes a Camaro SS easy to afford if there's no other debt or bills. A 6 month deployment on a ship easily saves up 4-5 months of paychecks. That's at least 8 grand (after deducting taxes & liberty ports). That's one huge down payment on a 30 grand Camaro SS and leaves about $22 grand to finance.... that's roughly $600 per month.

On a submarine? Add in ProPay (Proficiency Pay).

Live off base? BAH/BAQ (or whatever it's called today). Rent a place that with utilities is below the allowence being recieved.

Then there's COLA.

I truthfully am unfamiliar with the aspects of other services like the Army, Marines, or Air Force (which my dad served). However, being a former squid & coastie, I can say that it depending on what the person's priorities are and where and what he or she's serving on and rate, it is more than realistic that one could buy a $30K Camaro SS and not only have no problem making payments, but could realistically pay it off within 48 months.

Last edited by guionM; 12-01-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 AM

Army, that is a super deal, I hope you get it!!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:08 PM

Well, whatever the military discount ends up being, it definatley brightened up my day. I want to buy a 2SS at the end of the summer, and I was fretting the $600+/mo payments.

I always thought the mil discount was like $500. If it's more than that though, I'm game.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Unorthodox_Racing
this is why i hate forums. if i were to post a thread saying that drag and down force on a car are 2 totally different factors i guarantee 20 mother-f*ckers would reply saying they are the same thing. or nevermind the fact im the same guy that can change his plug wires on an lt1 camaro in under 45 mins but yet it takes everyone else on here 3+ hours (can you say incompetent?) . i have a bachelors in aviation maintenance with a minor in aerodynamics and a second bachelors in aeronautics. i am faa certified to work on any god dang thing that can fly... in the world... therefore i believe im capable of changing a lousy set of plug wires on a camaro in 45 mins (would you like my instructional video?). i am 22 years old and instead of going out into the world and earning what i am worth i decided to join the army and serve just as my grandfathers, father, uncles, and brothers. the fact of the matter is it doesn't matter how much you know your sh*t or what you are talking about there will always be some washed up over-the-hill guy who worked for gm 63 years ago come along and try to shut someone down.
how about you email and call gm and talk to their reps personally and have stuff mailed and faxed to you?! i know what i've been promised and have it in writing... wait isn't that called a contract? no way... damn if i only would have gotten my masters... then i could compete with the rest of you nay-sayers.
you're lucky im sober or i would have gotten ruthless lol
did you post on the wrong forum? what was that spark plug rant about? and I still fail to see the connection an aviation degree has with a military discount.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Military up to about 8 months ago was an extra 500 rebate on top of incentives. Now instead of the 500 you get GM Supplier pricing.

For Example on a Corvette Z06 that I have in stock

MSRP --76,665

INVOICE--69,590.93

GM SUPPLIER OR MILITARY -- 69,337.70
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Which branch of service? That makes a huge difference.

The military provides housing so he wouldn't be living in his car regardless of outcome. Also, the number of years in service determines pay. E4 base pay hits about 2 grand on the 4th year.

Being in the military, unmarried, living on base, is enough to cover the payments if willing to curtail one's social life.

In the Navy, at E4 there's also sea pay. Makes a Camaro SS easy to afford if there's no other debt or bills. A 6 month deployment on a ship easily saves up 4-5 months of paychecks. That's at least 8 grand (after deducting taxes & liberty ports). That's one huge down payment on a 30 grand Camaro SS and leaves about $22 grand to finance.... that's roughly $600 per month.

On a submarine? Add in ProPay (Proficiency Pay).

Live off base? BAH/BAQ (or whatever it's called today). Rent a place that with utilities is below the allowence being recieved.

Then there's COLA.

I truthfully am unfamiliar with the aspects of other services like the Army, Marines, or Air Force (which my dad served). However, being a former squid & coastie, I can say that it depending on what the person's priorities are and where and what he or she's serving on and rate, it is more than realistic that one could buy a $30K Camaro SS and not only have no problem making payments, but could realistically pay it off within 48 months.
Notice I did say "reasonably afford". I'm sure everyone's idea of that is going to be different.

My assumption is that he was a single E-4 living on base with probably less than 1-2 years of service and no other allowances/special pays. Base pay at that point is less than $2k/month.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/mili...ayCharts35.pdf

Oh yeah, and that base pay is before taxes. After Uncle Sam takes his share, he's looking at less than $1600/month net pay.
If he financed the car over 48 months, off the cuff, I'm thinking that means car payments close to $700/month with little to no down payment. Then, there's insurance for a 22 year old male, gas, maintenance, etc. All told, that car would end up being over half of what he makes. That's not what I call "reasonable". Trust me, I've been there and done that (spent too much of what I made on a car) at the same point in my life too.
I'm all for a person to do what makes them happy though, so if it means doing that, then do it.

Last edited by onebadponcho; 12-01-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 PM

I had 2 fairly new cars when I was an E4 and got by just fine. Its all about your priorities and spending habits. My last car I bought was 36k which was $625 a month. Not going to break the bank if you can half manage money at all.

Unorthodox Racing, what unit are you currently in? You sound EXACTLY like one of my crewchiefs (Cruz) here in Jalalabad Afghanistan. This is CW2 Watkins. Just another Apache pilot. If its not him its a crazy coincidence and I will hopefully see your new camaro back at Campbell when we return. T
Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 AM

That's great news! Now if only they sold GM vehicles on base here
Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
Notice I did say "reasonably afford". I'm sure everyone's idea of that is going to be different.

My assumption is that he was a single E-4 living on base with probably less than 1-2 years of service and no other allowances/special pays. Base pay at that point is less than $2k/month.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/mili...ayCharts35.pdf

Oh yeah, and that base pay is before taxes. After Uncle Sam takes his share, he's looking at less than $1600/month net pay.
If he financed the car over 48 months, off the cuff, I'm thinking that means car payments close to $700/month with little to no down payment. Then, there's insurance for a 22 year old male, gas, maintenance, etc. All told, that car would end up being over half of what he makes. That's not what I call "reasonable". Trust me, I've been there and done that (spent too much of what I made on a car) at the same point in my life too.
I'm all for a person to do what makes them happy though, so if it means doing that, then do it.
E4 in less than a year? Only if they come in the service at E3.

Even so, at 1758 per month (there's no state taxes in most all states for active duty military), the deduction for Fed taxes is roughly 30% of base pay only. So at $1100 net pay, and no housing or food costs, and again, with the right priorities, even a sub-2 year E4 can buy a Camaro SS if he wants one. Since base pay is essentially what we used to call drinking money (everything else is taken care of) using half for a car is painless.... unless you actually do use base pay as drinking money.

At 60 months or 72 months, payments drop to $500 per month with a few grand down on a $29K Camaro (less with military discount). Again, I'm not sure how different things are in the Army, but in the Navy and Coast Guard at E4 you start getting sea pay. 2 years active duty about $160, 3 years $280. A 3 year E4's sea pay is half a Camaro payment.

Last duty station (Monterey California) had a few coasties using their rent allowence to make monthly payments on houses (bought with fed back loans). They were barely making it (all were families). When time was coming up to transfer, they would sell the houses and pocket an obscene amount of money (though they wouldn't be able to use that loan again... one use only).

The brand new '03 Terminator Cobra on my base in San Diego I occasionally mention was owned by an E5 who bought the car new (with a healthy amount of cash down) when he was still an E4, thanks to a WestPac, a SouthPac, and more common sense at port calls than I ever had. His monthly payments were a fraction of what my then my '97 Z28 (on it's 5th and final year of payments). I'm sure an Army or Marine E4 coming off of a 6-12 month tour in Iraq (I think the actual tours are 15 months, though) will have more than enough to step off the plane and walk into a Chevy dealer if that was his priority and he or she had no rugrats to tend to.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro Military Discount