2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

t-tops anyone or maybe customized

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM

I think what GM should be looking at is the old "Hurst" ttops on the 76-78 TA's. I think they would fit this roof much better than the 3rd/4th gen style. The early TA ttops left plenty of metal between the tops and I think that might be the ticket on the 5th gen (if ttops are going to be a viable option)

Last edited by TA76; 04-11-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by TA76
I think what GM should be looking at is the old "Hurst" ttops on the 76-78 TA's. I think they would fit this roof much better than the 3rd/4th gen style. The early TA ttops left plenty of metal between the tops and I think that might be the ticket on the 5th gen (if ttops are going to be a viable option)

i have to agree

Last edited by chevyfreak1822003; 04-13-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by TA76

Makes the opening too small imo. I'd rather have a sunroof than that type of TTop. Make the opening as big as possible for me.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:44 AM

I've never been a fan of the Hurst tops.

Better than nothing though?..........maybe
Old 04-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Im still pushing for a targa top
Old 04-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Lounge Moderator

Didn't the hurst-style tops also have way more issues with leaking?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:05 PM

I really would like to see th 5th gen with T-Tops. At least offer it as an option!! The 5th gen picture with the t-tops looks good. Crash standards I guess are not allowing it.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 AM

Can we get a photochop of the concept with a targa?

IMO if T-tops are offered on the new camaro, they should offer body colored and clear. Like the vette tops.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Didn't the hurst-style tops also have way more issues with leaking?
In a word....... YES!

I had Hurst and Fischer. That's last century tech. 4th gen fbody tops were superior and if we ever get anything, it will be a repeat of that design. At this point Camaro will come in two flavors:

HARD TOP or
'VERT

Maybe we can get the aftermarket interested in doing something?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:51 AM

I'm not saying use the actual Hurst tops... just the concept of a top that leaves a little more roof in between. I'm sure it could be designed to be much better than the old 70's tops.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thumpin305
I won't buy the Camaro unless it has T-Tops. My dad and I both have them on our 02s and I will never buy a car without them again. I love being able to see the sky above me. Oh, and I refuse to buy a Camaro with a moon roof even more so.

Isn't that a bit shallow? You would refuse to buy a great car simply because it lacks t-tops? So I guess you will never buy a Camaro ever. Sorry to break it to ya, but the Camaro will never have t-tops again. It's moonroof or no roof will be your only options. T-tops jeopardize the structural integrity too much, and attempting to put them in yourself is asking for trouble with the curtain air bags and how they design body structures today. Since the last 4th gen rolled off the assembly line 5 years ago, car design has advanced so much that the entire unit body is desgined down to the last millimeter on computer, and all the forces, torsions, supports, and crash zones are analyzed near microscopically. This promises to be the most solid, tight, rattle free, well balanced Camaro ever built. That's due in no small part to the fact there won't be two big chuncks of the roof missing.

When the 4th gen was designed, the body was pretty much stamp some steel and weld it together. And I'll bet the body structure was so weak in comparison to the 5th gen that whether you had t-tops or not it was still loose and flimsy.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Hi Gm

I dont want T-tops again, ever.
Two reasons- they are to hick and they leak. To many seals.
Give us a targa top or nothing please.

For those who cant stand the weight, they dont have to purchase the option. Problem solved.

Can't go after the competition these days half-assed ready and offer a removable top a few model years down the line.
GM has done to much of that kind of "baiting" and unless Ford and GM want to go under its time to give us what we want. This is 2007, not 1969 when they had the market to themselves.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by fastball
Isn't that a bit shallow? You would refuse to buy a great car simply because it lacks t-tops? So I guess you will never buy a Camaro ever. Sorry to break it to ya, but the Camaro will never have t-tops again. It's moonroof or no roof will be your only options. T-tops jeopardize the structural integrity too much, and attempting to put them in yourself is asking for trouble with the curtain air bags and how they design body structures today. Since the last 4th gen rolled off the assembly line 5 years ago, car design has advanced so much that the entire unit body is desgined down to the last millimeter on computer, and all the forces, torsions, supports, and crash zones are analyzed near microscopically. This promises to be the most solid, tight, rattle free, well balanced Camaro ever built. That's due in no small part to the fact there won't be two big chuncks of the roof missing.

When the 4th gen was designed, the body was pretty much stamp some steel and weld it together. And I'll bet the body structure was so weak in comparison to the 5th gen that whether you had t-tops or not it was still loose and flimsy.
I'm with you brother. Moonroof works for me, esp if its removable. I'm not really torn between targa or moonroof, either will be fine.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:06 PM

How about customization? It's mentioned in the title, but not the thread itself. You think anyone would make conversion kits?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 PM

How about a Webasto Glassback roof? I think it might look good if they could mold the glass to the roof lines found on the concept.

Quick Reply: t-tops anyone or maybe customized