2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Interior] New Interior Shots!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
You're not getting the importance of an easy to notice oil pressure gauge at all. No **** the DIC will give you a warning if the oil pressure drops below some low threshhold, likely a very low number like 5-10psi.

Where the oil pressure gauge shows it's value is when you're only making 30 or 40 psi at redline when you normally make 80, or any other similar situation where the oil pressure is not keeping up with what it normally should be. Idiot light DO NOT help you with this.

So basically, if you're the kind of guy that wants to rely on an idiot light telling you that your engine has already lunched itself, that's fine FOR YOU. For the rest of us that know there are gray areas in between ok and not, it would sure be nice if the factory guages were actually in a convenient place for monitoring. Needing to take your eyes completely off the road to check your guages is ridiculous and unsafe.

btw, as for checking temperature, why do you need to look at your temperature constantly. Your car warms up ove rthe course of minutes. That's why i'd argue it's less important than oil pressure (though not by much) because it's not nearly as instantaneous quantity. You can check your coolant temp while cruising down a straight piece of road at a reasonable throttle level and it's going to be with a few degrees of where it was when you were redlining in the last turn. Further, in the event you toss a belt or your water pump impeller eeats itself, the temperature will rise very quickly so an idiot light isn't going to trigger that much longer than you likely would have noticed it rising anyway. And overheating an engine is generally not as bad as running around with no oil pressure at 6500 rpms anyway...
I guess I just must be one of those irrational people that don't give a flip about their engine as I have never driven around with my eyes glued to the gauges, I usually look at where I'm driving! Get a grip people, if you're that paranoid about your engine blowing sky high then perhaps you don't need to buy this car at all, instead equip your lounge chair at home with three hundred gauges that you can watch with paranoid fervor from the comfort of your den, then you won't endager others on the streets and highways by keeping your eyes glued to the gauges instead of on the road. Unbelieveable some of the lunacy posted on these forums!!!!!
Clyde
Old 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
I guess I just must be one of those irrational people that don't give a flip about their engine as I have never driven around with my eyes glued to the gauges, I usually look at where I'm driving! Get a grip people, if you're that paranoid about your engine blowing sky high then perhaps you don't need to buy this car at all, instead equip your lounge chair at home with three hundred gauges that you can watch with paranoid fervor from the comfort of your den, then you won't endager others on the streets and highways by keeping your eyes glued to the gauges instead of on the road. Unbelieveable some of the lunacy posted on these forums!!!!!
Clyde
You're so close to the point, yet so far away.

I don't drive around with my eyes glued to the guages either. I do like to scan over my guages from time to time to check my speed, or for timing my shifts on high speed runs, etc. And it's sure nice when you can take in all the guages with a short, easy glance.

Now guess what i basically never do anymore...look down at the radio in my car. Steering wheel controls and echoing volume and station information on the DIC has made that a useless activity. *MUCH* easier to look at the DIC while tuning stations then down at the console.

Why then does it make sense to locate guages below the radio?

And that's the point. No one is suggesting you should look at your gauges constantly. But to put them in a place that requires real, conscious effort to look at only ensures that you will check them less frequently. It's a damn shame that with the new location i will basically never be able to see my oil pressure on a high rpm full throttle run, just like i also don't play with the EQ settings on my radio at WOT...

And if you're the type of person that never checks his guages, then WTF do you even care where they are?

Last edited by notgetleft; 02-10-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 PM

FBF did say, "redundancy", tho he didn't say HUD, it's most likely to show vitals we all want.
Tho, like most, I'd love to see a buisness oriented DIC, it appears HUD or aftermarket gages is what we'll have to settle for.

I don't just use my gages for WOT runs, but MORE on a daily basis..

(PS: )A quick scan of my "volt" gage this morning in my PA Ultra reveiled a voltage of aprox 17volts...NOT enough to trigger a light, but still shows I might be losing the rectifier/regulator in the Alternator. I'll have to keep an eye on it for a while now, or end up walking home some dark night. Which is why they call an "idiot light" just that...
(****edit: Tonight, my volt gage was around 11-12 volts(no-warning light) with the lights on and brakes, at a red light..I'm definitely pulling the altenator tomorrow and testing it at my local parts store...and the battery.***)

And when I see my oil pressure average 10psi lower than the norm @ idle, I know the oil is ready for a change...most wait until they can't see the crosshatching through the oil on the stick.
Just some wacky things I do with dumb gages...

Last edited by 90rocz; 02-10-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
You're so close to the point, yet so far away.

I don't drive around with my eyes glued to the guages either. I do like to scan over my guages from time to time to check my speed, or for timing my shifts on high speed runs, etc. And it's sure nice when you can take in all the guages with a short, easy glance.

Now guess what i basically never do anymore...look down at the radio in my car. Steering wheel controls and echoing volume and station information on the DIC has made that a useless activity. *MUCH* easier to look at the DIC while tuning stations then down at the console.

Why then does it make sense to locate guages below the radio?

And that's the point. No one is suggesting you should look at your gauges constantly. But to put them in a place that requires real, conscious effort to look at only ensures that you will check them less frequently. It's a damn shame that with the new location i will basically never be able to see my oil pressure on a high rpm full throttle run, just like i also don't play with the EQ settings on my radio at WOT...

And if you're the type of person that never checks his guages, then WTF do you even care where they are?
The "never checks the gauges" was sarcasm in case you missed it. Sure I like to be able to check the gauges from time to time, but some people are acting like it will be completely impossible to do so. If you need to keep your eye on the oil pressure during a full throttle run then perhaps no factory location for oil pressure is good enough for your needs and you need to add an OP gauge on the steering column or the dash. We're talking a production automobile here, not a full blown race car. Is it really that much "effort" to move your eyes to check a guage??
Clyde
Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM

We're talking a production automobile here, not a full blown race car.
Clyde
Thank you!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:26 PM

Clyde
I just about spewed my mouthfull of Pepsi all over my monitor and keyboard when I read this!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM

My whole point is that the gauges there are useless, especially with redundancy. They are only there as a throwback to the first gen, just like the rest of the car. There is no reason for them to be there in the first place.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:49 AM

You know, if you were to spruce up the interior with some chrome touches to the Camaro logo and interior trim, and a black interior like on the Audi R8, it would actually look damn good.

Last edited by Gripenfelter; 02-13-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 PM

The pre-pro interior doesn't really look like the concept interior you're posting there though. The center vents are higher, wider and cheaper and the HVAC / radio bulges out way more and is much clunkier looking, etc.

Rerall, besides both being black and gray, i fail to see the comparison to that audi interior at all anyway. But much less so to the pre-pro version.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 PM

The R8 IP (very nice!) is along the lines I'd like to see in the Camaro.
At the risk of getting flamed...the large numbers on the Concept and not so large ones in the pre-prod, give it a kinda of grammer school feel.
Probably just me tho...

Last edited by 90rocz; 02-17-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Clyde

I'm sorry, I think it is you that probably doesn't need to drive this car.
I can't believe you actually posted this.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
I can't believe you actually posted this.
and I cant believe you posted this!
I saw "New Interior Shots" and got excited
Old 06-05-2008, 12:18 AM

New interior is pretty cool. Only thing I don't like is the deletion of a lot of the chrome and the halos aren't gold any more. However I'm sure it's pretty easy to change that around if you really wanted to. The shifter turned a tad plain since the concept though. It looks more natural, but just too normal. I'd think a classic white head or perhaps chrome would balance it our pretty well. Comments?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

For those that want extra gauges, there's always a dashhawk. I've got one in my TBSS and monitor tranny temps along w/ other things the ECM sees, but the DIC does not.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn 97 Z28 M6
For those that want extra gauges, there's always a dashhawk. I've got one in my TBSS and monitor tranny temps along w/ other things the ECM sees, but the DIC does not.

Even the Dashhawks are pretty unreliable for measuring 0-60, 1/8, 1/4 times.

Quick Reply: [Interior] New Interior Shots!