2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Interior] New Interior Shots!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
I wonder if the numbers are backlit?
Seems the glare from the halo rings is overpowering...
If you notice, there is no key in the ignition. *If* the picture taker pulled the headlight switch the cluster should be much more lit than it is. I think the "bright halo glow" is nothing more than the camera's flash reflecting off the surface. Same with the console gauges, it looks like they're "lit" with the flash.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10:
If you notice, there is no key in the ignition. *If* the picture taker pulled the headlight switch the cluster should be much more lit than it is. I think the "bright halo glow" is nothing more than the camera's flash reflecting off the surface. Same with the console gauges, it looks like they're "lit" with the flash.
I....d o n 't......k n o w....look awfully bright, even shines on the steering hump...maybe the key is needed to light the digits?
Since we don't see any gage check lights in the center section, it's a good possibility.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Seeing your post - I just thought of something! I've noticed a lot of cars nowadays 'do a little show' when you do certain things either in startup or upon key-out. For example, when I first start up my GP GXP - the first thing that shows in the HUD for a second or two is a big graphic, "G P". When you shut the car down and pull out the key, several things happen. The theater-dimming dome lights come up like at the end of a movie... the fog lights and backup lights illuminate... odometer illuminates... and so on. Maybe what the (now-fired I hope) spy cameraman shot there was a little halo showoff feature that happens upon key-out.

As for the console gauges - I do think those were in steady-state illumination at the instant of capture. Maybe he had the key in for the console shot, then pulled the key, then took the speedo/tach shots during the 'afterglow' period. Sort of like a "ooh! look at that!" shot.

Last edited by BigDarknFast; 01-29-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Seeing your post - I just thought of something! I've noticed a lot of cars nowadays 'do a little show' when you do certain things either in startup or upon key-out. For example, when I first start up my GP GXP - the first thing that shows in the HUD for a second or two is a big graphic, "G P". When you shut the car down and pull out the key, several things happen. The theater-dimming dome lights come up like at the end of a movie... the fog lights and backup lights illuminate... odometer illuminates... and so on. Maybe what the (now-fired I hope) spy cameraman shot there was a little halo showoff feature that happens upon key-out.

As for the console gauges - I do think those were in steady-state illumination at the instant of capture. Maybe he had the key in for the console shot, then pulled the key, then took the speedo/tach shots during the 'afterglow' period. Sort of like a "ooh! look at that!" shot.
I'm guessing there was no key IN the car? Maybe those lights pop on when the door is opened?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 AM

I'm guessing there was no key IN the car? Maybe those lights pop on when the door is opened?
I think you're right. You're the winner of the grand prize game. You win a new camaro.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by GoCamaroGo
I think you're right. You're the winner of the grand prize game. You win a new camaro.
I'm gonna hold you to that

Sunset Orange metallic SS with white stripe package. V-8, 6 speed manual, black leather interior.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Have you spent an extended amount of time behind the wheel of a car with gauges using that font?

...My Grand National has a speedometer that is only marked every 20mph. I hate it. It's difficult to tell the difference between 45 and 55 at a glance, and I'd really rather not get a 10-over speeding ticket because I don't have a well-labeled speedometer.

...If GM changes to a more appropriate font, I think I could get by with the 20mph increments. If GM changed to 10mph increments, I think I could get by with the skinny font. I really don't want to deal with both.
Of course, we don't yet know what font or scale increments will be on the production speedo, not to mention the actual IP lighting. (I know you are aware of that, just pointing it out). I do agree the speedo face could be an issue for some if that's how it ends up. But personally, I don't really look a lot at the numbers on my speedo, for example when driving my 95 Formula. I've gotten used to the 'clock angles' of the key speeds, 80 MPH for example ( I know )... and usually am just looking to see where the needle is, 'clock angle wise'. I have faith that few will have an issue once they see and try out a production car.
I'm confident that there will be a HUD with a digital readout, so I will most likely not have any issues with knowing my speed at a glance. Having said that, I firmly believe that every road-going car should have an easy-to-read dial speedometer, and the interior shown doesn't.
Agreed. I really enjoy how my GP's HUD allows me to focus better on driving well. One thing that's really cool about the HUD: I notice some here have been talking about instrument illumination. My GP has automatic headlights, and a dash sensor for them. The sensor seems to have some directionality to it - - for example when you turn a corner and are suddenly facing a sunset ahead, the HUD rapidly gets A LOT brighter. Turn another corner - and it just as quickly dims back down! (You can also adjust brightness/off manually with the flick of a ****). Very nice. I believe if the new Camaro has a HUD, it's really going to radically increase acceptance of the speedo/tach... although frankly I don't think they are all that much of an issue anyway IMHO.
I'm sure that a replacement gauge or at least an overlay will be available from the aftermarket, so this isn't a huge problem or a deal breaker for me. I just want my opinion to be known and understood.
I agree. I've been tinkering with a project to convert my Formula's IP to have a 4gen Camaro cluster overlay with blue LED illumination. (Yes I'm nuts ). I got a junkyard Camaro cluster off eBay, and it turns out the entire speedo/tach/warning light applique is just a stick-on graphic with colored translucent mini-graphics in key locations. You can actually peel it off the cluster! Then stick on one from a Camaro and push the needles back on. It has no effect on the odometer since that never even gets touched.

Last edited by BigDarknFast; 01-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
I wonder if the numbers are backlit?
Seems the glare from the halo rings is overpowering...
They aren't... the problem here is that it is a CELL phone shot that is trying to take a picture of a dark area that has very bright higlights. Have you ever taken a picture for family members or your car that the sun was directly in the view of the shot? what happened then?

That's not Flash.... it is a cellphone picture without flash... Cellphone pictures are THE WORSE to capture fine details like a big change in Range... bigger better cameras have are much better at dynamic range... They can capture bigger difference between light and dark. Without looking like GLOWING light.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:59 AM

There ARE cell phones that DO have a flash

Not only that, but there are companies that make little add on flashes that you can add to your camera
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM

There ARE cell phones that DO have a flash

Not only that, but there are companies that make little add on flashes that you can add to your camera

i knew someone was going to bring that up... if it was with a build in flash from a camera phone then you would have gotten better view of the dials... because the direct light source... meaning you would have had better view of the numbers since the light bounces directly from that "flat" surface. There was NO flash in that picture.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM

Here's some pics with all the gauges LIT UP!

http://jalopnik.com/349971/first-200...th-motion-blur
Old 01-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Not that bad actually, (crappy camera!)hopefully there's a dimmer switch for the halos...
Just kinda make those squared bezels seem out of place now, I wonder how a more rounded set would look??

Maybe if the outside-top was angled down a few degrees, or a symetrical bevel opposite the lower inside ones, might've looked better.

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-29-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Those halos will go real well with the crowd that add neon underbody lights to their cars...

I wonder if they will make "black light" replacement bulbs for them
Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM

That's a humongous driver info center. Since it's dot matrix, it could show a lot of text...

Last edited by BigDarknFast; 01-29-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM

This is me saying something nice.

The blue backlight on the main gauges seems to be traced in red, which mimics the red backlighting on the ***** on the radio. That's good attention to detail.

Maybe it won't wind up looking so cobbled together, but I can't imagine how they are going to make those huge ***** with 88 functions match the retro theme. In fact I would hate to see whatever does match them...

Quick Reply: [Interior] New Interior Shots!