2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Interior] experience of the backseat.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 PM

experience of the backseat.

unfortunately, not with a woman...

first, the roof. it's cool looking on the outside, but i'm like, 5' 7ish", not very tall at all and i was slightly tapping the roof with my noggin.

it's very hard to get out of, as there is pretty much nothing to grab onto except the front seat and roof to get out of. why didnt they just make it a 2 seater at that point since only the smallest of children would fit. 2+2 doesn't mean horrendously difficult to get out of.

the material on the interior of the SS we were in was awful. hard plastic. eew. no cupholder, again failboat. why not a flipout one on the backside of the front seats...

seatbelts were okay, pretty standard but im not sure if they were tensioned correctly as i was able to slide around in them to take video out the windsheild.

the good about the backseats--
that armrest. yay, but its on that horrible hard plastic... boo.
the very obvious and simple seat release lever on the back side center! for years i've been trying to figure out the f do i release the seat to get into the back. my friend's monte carlo wasn't too bad, but some cars are on the lower portion of the front seat or at the top shoulder, all horrible places as i just want to be able to see this damn lever no matter kind of design the car has, and this simple big thing does the job nicely.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:50 PM

I've never been in a 2 door sports car with any backroom or headroom. Maybe they were different in the 60s. I think the only reason they still put backseats in Camaros, Mustangs, ext. is so people can use them just in case. 90% of my driving is done by myself so the rear in my '96 is was really not important.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM

i don't even want to try to get in that backseat.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 AM

I honestly didn't think it was that bad in the 1LT/RS I was in...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 AM

who cares??? I mean really.......nobody rides in the back of my SS except maybe my dog....all she has to say about no cup holders is woof woof.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 AM

I like having the backseat for kids. This way the whole fam can go for a ride. Most kids under 14 probably can fit in the back just fine. My son fits fine in his carseat, and has enough legroom even when I sit passenger to let the wifey drive:

Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 AM

my brother liked it, but said he would need a functional 4 seater car, so the G8 is really all he can look into since no one else makes anything decent or cool enough.

charger's aren't cool unless they got soem sort of package on them.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
the material on the interior of the SS we were in was awful. hard plastic. eew. no cupholder, again failboat. why not a flipout one on the backside of the front seats...
I got a chance on Saturday to drive Jason Debler's SS, and then to ride in the passenger seat as well.

The materials are fine. They are not luxuiously soft, but this is not a luxury car. They are softer and nicer than the plastics in the 4th gen.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Judging by the numbers, it looks like there's about the same amount of room as the 3rd-4th gen, which is about enough for someone about 5'2"-5'4" tops. I didn't sit in the back of the 5th gen I saw, but those numbers look about right.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 AM

it's a compromise to keep the look of the concept... and I am glad they did.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
my brother liked it, but said he would need a functional 4 seater car, so the G8 is really all he can look into since no one else makes anything decent or cool enough.

charger's aren't cool unless they got soem sort of package on them.
I think the Impala is cool but perhaps this is just a genetic preference(my grandfather loved impala's, each time he bought a new car he just replaced his old impala with a new one. I started liking impala's about the time I was learning to drive, and then my dad got hooked and bought one himself). Basically when I started looking to replace my 2000 Impala LS, I was trying to decide between an 09 Impala SS and a 2010 Camaro. the deciding factor was going to be my ability to fit in the latter. When I did, I switched hook line and sinker to the Camaro.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM

part of the reason that some companies put the backseats in there, even if it is only has minor functionality, is.. insurance rates. same reason companies will sometimes underrate their engine power. having a 2+2 is better than just the two.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 PM

The one I drove looked like it would cut the guy's legs off if I moved my seat all the way back - There was about 3" clearance. It is meant for kids and it works for that. No big deal - no adult usually rides in the back of a car like that.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The materials are fine. They are not luxuiously soft, but this is not a luxury car. They are softer and nicer than the plastics in the 4th gen.
I think way to many guys around here stroke off on their dashboard. I am curious what people want interiors made of that will still be reasonably cost effective.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I think way to many guys around here stroke off on their dashboard. I am curious what people want interiors made of that will still be reasonably cost effective.
I dont think its so much the fact the feel or look as it is the wear qualities of hard plastic . If u get a scratch in it , your screwed . With the molded in grain theres really no practical way to repair it . And hard plastic wears much faster than vinyl . As opposed to a soft vinyl padded dash , thats much more tolerant to being scraped without leaving a mark . Its not like a padded dash is some luxury item , theres plenty of sub $20K compacts that have padded dash , armrest and top door molding where you routinely come into contact with .

The backseat being comfortable for adults would be the last thing on my mind concerning a Camaro . Get back there at your own risk . I would rather sacrafice my passengers comfort for that sexy roofline The g37 , tiburan and mustang all have a backseat just as cramped .

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 09-04-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: [Interior] experience of the backseat.