2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Interior] Dead Horse: "Retro" and why I think this interior is so hated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM

I remember going to the Dayton Auto Show back when the first 4th gens came out. I sat in both the Z28 and the Firebird.

I remember my first impressions were that the visibility of previous generations was lacking and the lumbars in the seats were uncomfortable and confining. And at the time it didn't look a whole lot like a Camaro that I'd recognize, but more of an import feel. And didn't care for that huge dashboard, that if I sat something on and hit the brakes, I wouldn't be able to reach. Under the hood, seeing half the engine under the windshield, being a very mechanical person, thinking how difficult it would be to modify or maintain.(whether true or not)

I DID LOVE the performance numbers!..the engine and the large wide wheels and tires.

I didn't fall for the 4th Gen until the last redesign, then WOW, they really started looking Bad@$$..!
Seems like a lot of the cars start getting it right just before the go on hiatus, or vanish.
(...poor Oldsmobile....)

One thing I can say about the new Camaro, noone can deny at one look, that it's unmistakably a Camaro...

I have my cars pretty much paid off now and starting to build some bank for a new Camaro!..the wife is stoked too!..
(she loved those color chops!...)

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-09-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I remember that building well but never seeing her in the lobby>
If she comes with the car, I'd be willing to pay dealer mark up.

Also, how is the challenger NOT a copy of a '70? Dodge admitted it was

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 01-09-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
One thing I can say about the new Camaro, noone can deny at one look, that it's unmistakably a Camaro...
To a car fan, sure, it's pretty obvious. Other than that, not so much. I've had the 5th gen vert concept as my background on my computer at work basically since the first pictures were released. It's on my roaming profile so it comes up on the projector in meeting rooms too when i fire everything up. I've had several people in that time remark about what a nice looking *MUSTANG* it was.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
To a car fan, sure, it's pretty obvious. Other than that, not so much. I've had the 5th gen vert concept as my background on my computer at work basically since the first pictures were released. It's on my roaming profile so it comes up on the projector in meeting rooms too when i fire everything up. I've had several people in that time remark about what a nice looking *MUSTANG* it was.

Yeah, I've had different pics of the Camaro concepts as screensavers on my computers at work. The only comments I usually get are, "is that the new Mustang"?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yeah, I've had different pics of the Camaro concepts as screensavers on my computers at work. The only comments I usually get are, "is that the new Mustang"?
it's nice that they notice the big-@ss bowtie right on the front of it.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 PM

One of my coworkers asked me "is that the new Cadillac"?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast

I also like the Camaro-girl-on-the-hood better

(from http://www.camarohomepage.com/ )
I believe that 'Camaro-girl' is Caridee, winner of America's Next Top Model 2 Seasons back... (Now you can look her up on the 'net. LOL)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM

Yeah, that drives me crazy. LOL I always tell them it looks nothing like a Mustang! To which they act like I'm blind.

Most know, though, that it's a Camaro since I've talked about it so much. But there are the few that still say it looks just like a Mustang...
Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 PM

I think the reason that people say that more than not, is b/c the Camaro is out of production.

Everyone knows they don't make them anymore and hardly noone outside of enthusiests knows it's coming back, and that there's a few of them running around.

I hope they start running some teaser commercials pretty soon, then those comments will fade quickly.

Some of you can remember back in the day it was hard to tell, like @ dusk, if the oncoming car was a Mustang, Challenger or Camaro.

Silohuetted, they are, and have been pretty similar in the first gens...headlights and all.

And I can see how the Concepts' angled front, plus other angles looks similar to a CTS as someone mentioned.

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-09-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:30 PM

Challenger draws upon the initial 1970 model as the icon of the series,” said Tom Tremont, Vice President – Advanced Vehicle Design.

“The 1970 model is the most sought after by collectors. But instead of merely recreating that car, the designers endeavored to build a Challenger most people see in their mind’s eye — a vehicle without the imperfections like the old car’s tucked-under wheels, long front overhang and imperfect fits. As with all pleasurable memories, you remember the good and screen out the bad.

“We wanted the concept car to evoke all those sweet memories … everything you thought the Challenger was, and more.”

Compared to the original, the greenhouse is longer, the windshield and backlite faster, and the side glass narrower. All glass is set flush with the body without moldings, another touch the original designers could only wish for. The car is a genuine two-door hardtop — no B-pillar — with the belt line ramping up assertively at the quarter window just forward of the wide C-pillar.

Exterior details one might expect, like a racing-type gas cap, hood tie-down pins, louvered backlite and bold bodyside striping, didn’t make the “cut,” the designers feeling such assorted bits would detract from the purity of the monochromatic body form. But tucked reassuringly under the rear bumper are the “gotta have” twin-rectangle pipes of the dual exhausts.
In contrast to the bright Orange Pearl exterior, the interior is a no-nonsense, “let’s-get-in-and-go” black relieved by satin silver accents and narrow orange bands on the seat backs.

“Though the 1970 model was looked to for inspiration, we wanted to capture the memory of that car, but expressed in more contemporary surfaces, materials and textures,” said Alan Barrington, principal interior designer.
Rethought, reworked, reproportioned and redesigned, the Challenger concept car offers iconic a HEMI-powered performance coupe derived from a classic American muscle car.
Also, how is the challenger NOT a copy of a '70? Dodge admitted it was
Similar to how the Camaro isn't a copy of a '69 Z....
Tho once again, the Z has much more character...

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-10-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:24 AM

I totally agree with the OP. (disclaimer, havent read the whole thread).
Ill jump up to a C6 or across to a G37 before buying a camaro with the pre-pro retro interior.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:56 PM

I just don't see the retro in this interior.....
Old 04-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Wow, back from the dead.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM

Indeed. With this thread, it's worse than beating the dead horse - it's getting to be like beating on a pile of bones
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 AM

I think the interior is too retro as well. I agree the inside doesn't go with the outside. The gauges all in the floor console are silly and take up valuable space. A torque gauge is a waste of money. Put excellent gauges the driver needs and where he needs them. Big radio controls take up too much space, etc.

The main thing I absolutely do not like from the pics I have seen of the interior is that the speedometer doesn't have numbers for the 5s. No 55, 65, 75, etc. Just 50,60,70,80,etc. When I want to set my cruise for 64, for example I want to see that 65 mark. My wife's Jetta has the same kind of speedo with no 5's and its a pain in the ***. I dont' want to have to stop and pay extra attention to that needle to see if I'm 74 or 76 or wtf. Certainly it looks cleaner to have less numbers on the dial, but this isn't some kind of fashion wristwatch. I want clean setup that gives intuitive feedback, not something an Industrial designer thought looked nicer.

Quick Reply: [Interior] Dead Horse: "Retro" and why I think this interior is so hated.