Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Squeak in rear suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 05:31 PM

Squeak in rear suspension.

Hey guys, I have a problem that is driving me crazy. Every time I hit a small bump or imperfection in the road, I have an annoying squeaking noise emit from the rear left section of the car. This noise is even more pronounced with the top down, which really sucks because it has been so nice around my area for a change. It gets really bad when I have someone sit in one of the back seats. I can't seem to locate where it is coming from, so I am not totally sure it is something in the suspenion. It is definetly is coming from right behind my head, though. Anyone have a problem like this before? I had the car up on ramps earlier in the week, but lucky for me, when I pressed down on the rear when the *** was off of the ground, no squeak. I do hear it when I press down on the back hard when it is on the ground though. Any help would be appreciated, it is driving me insane.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:36 PM

There are always people complaining about squeaks and rattles on these cars so it is hard to pinpoint them sometimes. The rear springs sit on a metal perch and this metal to metal contact can cause squeaking. I get this on my car sometimes, but I usually hear it on the passenger side. If you get under your car and look at what the spring sits on you will see what I mean. So to fix it you have to either get some lube in their for a temporary fix or some people put a piece of hose over the spring so that it eliminates the metal to metal contact. Other than that look at your rear hatch latch, and also the rear seat latches and the spare tire even though it is on the opposite side.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:43 PM

Mine does that too, but it's an exhaust hanger broke off.

Double check that. have one welded back in and see if it disappears.

also, being a convertible, got subframe connectors? that will get rid of alot of rattles and squeeks.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:04 PM

Monoxide Child - Suprisingly enough, this car doesn't really have any squeaks or rattles yet, besides the offending one mentioned in the topic. There are only 24,000 miles on the car, and I have not gotten sub frames yet, but I plan to. Only sound I ever really hear in the car is when the top is up, sometimes the windows smack into alittle when I hit a big enough bump in the road. I don't really think it is an exhaust hanger, but it can't hurt me to check again.

Lastlaf - It doesn't sound like it is coming from the rear latch, and I have already checked the spare tire. However, the thought had not occurred to me that it might be the rear spring. I have noticed it sits on a metal perch, but never put two and two together. I am going to try some lube, and if that gets rid of the problem temporarily, I will try to get a piece of hose in there to quiet it down for good.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Couple of tips i tried and now the squeek is gone.

1) spray wd-40 on the hinges of the hatch

2) Wrap electricla tape around the latch for the rear seats.

3) Wrap electrical tape around the bottom latch of the truck latch.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:48 PM

im in the same boat i have a 98z with 30,000 miles. The squieek is on the driver side and it sucks. Be sure if you get it fixed to tell me what u did and ill do the same. I have lubed, tightened, and shook everything i could. Don't even wana drive the car.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:39 AM

I tried some wd40 on the rear spring, and for now it seemed to help alittle, although it didn't totally eliminate it. I really didn't get a chance to mess with it too much, as I was really busy today, and only got a chance to do this during a break I had in the parking lot during work today.

Killaz - I am glad someone knows what I am talking about. I can easily ignore the normal squeaks and rattles of cars like this -my dads 78 vette rattles like hell- but this squeaking is pretty ridiculous, and I never want to have anyone in the back seat because it not only gets extremely embarrassing, but also infuriating. It can be heard from outside the car. If I make any progress, I will keep you updated, but I may not be able jack the car up to really get to look at it until this weekend, because I have been pretty busy this week.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:33 PM

I had the same problem a couple years ago,it just kept getting louder,especially when it was cold,drove me nuts ! turned out to be the LCA bushings.You can do 2 things.1-drop LCA's & lube them up real good with something that won't harm the rubber bushings,or...2-Replace them with new LCA's that havepoly bushings & grease fittings,which is what I did.I got a set of Lakewood boxed LCA's from Summit for around $80,there are lots of different brands & prices out there,but I think this will take care of your squeek
Old 04-25-2004, 11:05 AM

Check that the spare tire isn't loose and that the bumpers on the hatch aren't damaged.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:58 AM

MIne was the two bushings that hold the rear sway bar under the axle. I took them off, coated the insides with hi temp synthetic grease. Regular grease worked only a day or two. No squeak for a couple of years now.

Hope you bag your limit of squeaks.

PJ