Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

SFCs & STBs

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 06:50 PM

SFCs & STBs

I'm thinking about getting sub-frame connectors or a strut/shock tower brace.

How will my car feel with either one of these components installed and are they worth the money?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:54 PM

SFCs are great. They stiffen up the ride considerably. A STB, however, isn't going to do nearly as much for you. Our suspensions don't flex nearly as much at the strut towers are a macpherson strut does, being that f-bodies have a short/long arm suspension. a STB isnt really a necessity IMO.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:55 PM

The STB didn't make a difference on my car. I don't know about SFCs for fact but I hear good things.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:03 PM

SFC are a worthwhile investment...search different companies, but make sure you get the type you weld in....I like the Hotchkis because they tuck up real nice and have no ground clearance issues...had mine on car for 10 years, makes tons of difference solidifying the car...I've never used a STB...seems like it would just get in the way when you are working on the motor...maybe if you're into auto crossing its good...imho do the SFCs...
--Alan
Old 05-09-2004, 08:15 PM

I got the Specticle solutions 3pt. SFCs.They are awesome...huge difference.Definitely a must have.They are the same as SLPs SFCs.
Tbryne has them(SLPs) on sale this month alot cheaper than normal Get SFCs first you wont regret it.

Today I tried putting on a Global West STB on my 94 I got off ebay and does not fit.The towers have to be spead or something to get the bolts to line up approx 3/8" to 1/2". Tried jacking the car in the center of K-member in hopes of speading the towers enough to get it on to no avail.I"ll try another day with some other methods if dont work sell to someone w/98+. TIPS ANYONE.

The guy I got it from had it on a 98,probabely will do just fine for a 99.If your interested CHEAP. The sucka is beefy 1-3/4" tubing.
Tony
Old 05-09-2004, 08:45 PM

the sfc are a MUST DO

the stb is a nice addition, i don't think it's a real noticable difference, but it can't hurt...and $90 or so for the BMR unit is hard to beat...

and it looks cool and gives a great handle for workin on the engine bay
Old 05-09-2004, 10:26 PM

I don't know that I would go as far as saying SFC's are a "must do", but I think they are definitely a good idea. I just installed a set of bolt-ins on my car 2 weeks ago, and I can really feel the difference in cornering and even going over bumps. Over bumps, it seems that the suspension is doing all the work now (as it should) instead of the "car" (body) taking the bumps. And in the corners, it's all in the tires and the suspension. Now the car is no longer flexing through the corner, and I feel more positive response through the steering wheel.

If you have a hardtop car, I don't think SFC's are quite as critical, but for a 'vert or T-top car, I think they're a smart mod to do.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the info. guys.

What's the difference between bolt-ons and weld-ins and why is one better than the other, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of boxed and tubular?

I've heard tubular is better if the car is lowered, but I never intend to lower my car and don't want to sacrifice any ground clearance. Over the axle true duals will come someday, will the SFCs be in the way at all?

Also, will these help at all at the track, will they make the ride more harsh, and can they been seen easily under the car?

Last edited by SFB767; 05-10-2004 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:07 AM

What's the difference between bolt-ons and weld-ins? Basically, with weld-ins, you know that once they're in, they're in for good (unless the welds break), whereas with bolt-ins, there is potential for the bolts to loosen off and for them to start working the holes bigger, which starts defeating their purpose. On a relatively stock car though, I think they're okay, and you can still weld-in your bolt-ins if you want.

I've heard tubular is better if the car is lowered, but I never intend to lower my car and don't want to sacrifice any ground clearance.....will the SFCs be in the way at all? The SFC's I got are Competition Engineering boxed type bolt-ins, and I could take a picture of them to show you, but there's really not much to show!! They tuck nicely behind the seam in the body that runs the length of the car 6" in from the outsides, and they don't create any ground clearance problems at all, nor do they get in the way of the exhaust or anything else.

Also, will these help at all at the track, will they make the ride more harsh? Yes, they should help at the track, as they stop the body from flexing, which is just wasting the engine's power by putting it through the car instead of directly to the back wheels. As far as making the ride more harsh, I think the ride is more smooth now, because the suspension is doing its job better, and the whole car doesn't feel like it's getting hammered apart when you hit big bumps.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Wow Capn those were very well thought out intelligent answers!
Old 05-10-2004, 10:34 PM

I have SFCs and an STB and recommend both.