2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Interior] Speedo & Tach Change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Speedo & Tach Change?

Why did the speedo and tach go from this:

To this:

Its basically the same, but the numbering appears to have changed. The second photo was taken by me in Indy of the Silver SS. I don't like how the numbers look all scrunched together on the speedo. It almost appears the speedo is to small. Also its going to be hard to glance at while driving and get a precise speed reading. If this stays the same, HUD is going to be a must have.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

I noticed the change and I like it. To me it would be more legible at a quick glance, which is probably why they changed it.

One a side note, I never noticed the SS emblems on the fuel and temp gauge needle base. Slick.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:02 PM

I'm a bit letdown by the SS logo's in the car. Outside of the headrests (which I'll admit is very clear!), the logo in the gauges is almost invisible and the location on the steering wheel is questionable IMHO. I'd love to see SS in the center of the wheel, or some kind of logo in the dash in front of the passenger.

I understand wanting the V6 to be the center of attention, and from a marketing/advertising sense, I can agree. But for those who get the SS, I think a slightly bolder statement in the cabin would be good.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM

i think it will be quite clear your in the ss when you stomp on the gas.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Why did the speedo and tach go from this:

To this:

Its basically the same, but the numbering appears to have changed. The second photo was taken by me in Indy of the Silver SS. I don't like how the numbers look all scrunched together on the speedo. It almost appears the speedo is to small. Also its going to be hard to glance at while driving and get a precise speed reading. If this stays the same, HUD is going to be a must have.

Hello everyone. Long time lurker and first time poster.

I was wondering if anybody who has been to an auto show and seen the new Camaro can confirm what the numbers on the guages look like in the production intent Camaros.

I like the "retro" fon better in the first picture in this thread, but I could live with the new font as well if that's all that's different. What confuses me abou the bottom image is the way they put extra numbers in red on a line below the regular numbers once you get higher than 120. It looks odd to my eye and clutters the face of the speedo.

Am I the only one who noticed this or am I the only one who finds it weird? On the other hand, is there something special about 130MPH+ that is bad for the car so it is printed in red as a warning like the red numbers on the tach? Does going over 130 damage the car or something?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:59 PM

The beauty of analog gauges(much like analog clocks), is that once you memorize the position of the numbers you can instantly know what speed(or time) you are at.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:41 PM

tall font = V6

short font = V8
Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
I was wondering if anybody who has been to an auto show and seen the new Camaro can confirm what the numbers on the guages look like in the production intent Camaros.
You know, I was too busy looking for little things that I haven't heard about or seen (seat controls, visors, how the releases and switches felt..things like that) to even pay attention to the things staring me in the face.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 AM

I had HUD in my C5 and absolutely loved it. If HUD is an option, to me it will be a must have regardless of the font used on the gauges.

As someone earlier stated, analog gauges are great for allowing one to know their reading through a thoroughly peripheral glance. The font isn't all that important.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by r_west
I had HUD in my C5 and absolutely loved it. If HUD is an option, to me it will be a must have regardless of the font used on the gauges.

As someone earlier stated, analog gauges are great for allowing one to know their reading through a thoroughly peripheral glance. The font isn't all that important.
HUD is supposed to be coming. It was originally slated for December 2009 introduction but then all references to it's availability changed to become more vague. It's one of the things that killed my wish to pre-order. I think it's a must-have option, and I am really not sure I like the funky "some numbers in red" thing they have going on with the SS speedo.

If somebody had an explanation for why they added extra red speed numbers over 130MPH then maybe I could understand. As it stands it looks like a printing error or someone trying to be cute.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
Hello everyone. Long time lurker and first time poster.

I like the "retro" fon better in the first picture in this thread, but I could live with the new font as well if that's all that's different. What confuses me abou the bottom image is the way they put extra numbers in red on a line below the regular numbers once you get higher than 120. It looks odd to my eye and clutters the face of the speedo.

Am I the only one who noticed this or am I the only one who finds it weird? On the other hand, is there something special about 130MPH+ that is bad for the car so it is printed in red as a warning like the red numbers on the tach? Does going over 130 damage the car or something?

Thanks!
I think they have those numbers there to give you a better reading of how fast you are going when you're going that fast. Instead of having 13 normal sized speeds, keep it even at 10 and add the in-between numbers in a smaller font below the normal sized font.

When you get up to speeds that fast, every little mph matters compared to just cruising speeds.