LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What clutch? New to the T-56...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 06:20 PM

Question What clutch? New to the T-56...

Having blown a stock 4L60E and a beefed 4L60E within two years with a bolt-on car, I've decided I'm not going to put any more money into the automatic. I'm going to swap to a stock LT1 T-56, hopefully in a conversion kit or something of the sort. I have a few good websites about the swap already from posts on CZ, but I'd like some opinions about what clutch I should use with my setup and driving habits.

I like to fool around a lot, I don't drive like a granny by any means, I use the car as it was intended... I'll be keeping it relatively stock for the next few years, my times are in my sig, I won't be doing any real modding for a while. But I want something that can withstand some beating without being a pain to drive everyday and being very expensive. Keep price in mind, bang for buck is always good.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:54 PM

Angry Re: What clutch? New to the T-56...

I'll give a shot at answering your question..

1) The McLeod Street Twin is the only clutch I've seen through all of my searches that gets a universal thumbs up. The only catch is the price, but if any other clutch fails you for any reason then the expense would be worth it.

2) For minor mod motors the next best on satisfaction factor for price seems to be the package from SLP.

3) I went for a Spec Stage II and while it hooks up great and is easy on the leg muscles, I've never been happy with the "around town" engagement. I had a Stage 1 professionaly installed during as tranny rebuild and it chattered so bad I had it pulled out, resurfaced the flywheel again and upgraded to a Stage II as long as I was in there, it's better but still chatters a little if you are trying to be mellow (worse when hot) and the Spec people advertise all of their Stage 1,2 & 3's as being chatter free (not so!)

Good luck, clutches tend to be hit and miss on our cars, I've never experienced anything like it.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:57 PM

Re: What clutch? New to the T-56...

Im very happy with my Spec stage 2. As long as you break it in properly, you shouldn't have any troubles. Mine chattered a little bit when new and since has improved. The only time it chatters now is at certain rpms/engaugment when in reverse. Usually its very smooth and never is an issue in 1st-6th gear.

Aaron
Old 10-05-2004, 11:30 PM

Anyone have experience with the SLP setup? Other setups?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:38 PM

I have the SLP clutch, pressure plate and billet flywheel. Good package for a daily driver.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:38 AM

If it's basically stock, there is nothing wrong with a stock clutch. If it needs more than a stock clutch save yourself a lot of trouble and get the ST if you can at all afford it.

Rich
Old 10-06-2004, 08:19 AM

we had one built for my friends m6. i feel thats the way to go. he went with a solid disk(no springs) button clutch. if or when it wears out they will replace the buttons, or the friction material for $52. and he used the stock lt4 pressure plate. he dumps the clutch at 3500 with et streets and never sliped yet. and it releases smooth. i beleive he went with 2 kevlar and 4 bronze buttons, if you want it to hold better get a full bronze clutch. but with the 2 kevlar it releases pretty smooth, but you dont ride the clutch. the secret to a smooth engagment is turn the flywheel.

the name of the shop we used is clutch break and spring, or clutch and break. something like that. im sure you can find something up there like that.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:09 PM

I ahve a stage 2 spec in my car. it is very very nice but as with others I have to agree with some chatter. reverse is a bit of a pain. If you drive like your angery all the time you shoud be ok. but when I drive in the city trying to be quiet and not atract cops I get a bit of chatter in first.

When I finish my car (in a few years) I will probably run a Mcleod