LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

turns over very slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM

turns over very slow

Hi my name is Jeff and I'm new to the site. I got a 94 z28 and I am trying to get it running. Started off with a new battery, but when I try to crank it, it turns over very, very slow. Almost like the battery is going dead, but its not. So I hooked up a jumper box put it on 200 amp start and it still turns over very slowly. I then took the starter off and took it to the local auto store to have it tested, and it tested good. Hooked starter back up, but let me make sure I have it hooked up right. (only two wires going to the solenoid, one is purple going to the S terminal and the other is the big wire that is the hot wire going to the big terminal on the solenoid. I also have a small black and white wire where does this hook up? When I took the starter off it was not hooked up to anything) Is this a ground wire of some sort. The car has been setting for about a year, I have checked and fuel pump is kicking on, I also replaced the coil and am now getting spark, but still engine turns over way to slow to crank the car. Any and all help is appreciated. Jeff
Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Re: turns over very slow

Originally Posted by jeffroz28
Hi my name is Jeff and I'm new to the site. I got a 94 z28 and I am trying to get it running. Started off with a new battery, but when I try to crank it, it turns over very, very slow. Almost like the battery is going dead, but its not. So I hooked up a jumper box put it on 200 amp start and it still turns over very slowly. I then took the starter off and took it to the local auto store to have it tested, and it tested good. Hooked starter back up, but let me make sure I have it hooked up right. (only two wires going to the solenoid, one is purple going to the S terminal and the other is the big wire that is the hot wire going to the big terminal on the solenoid. I also have a small black and white wire where does this hook up? When I took the starter off it was not hooked up to anything) Is this a ground wire of some sort. The car has been setting for about a year, I have checked and fuel pump is kicking on, I also replaced the coil and am now getting spark, but still engine turns over way to slow to crank the car. Any and all help is appreciated. Jeff
The first thing to check is the battery ground, folowed by the chassis to engine ground strap. Even if tight these can get all corroed and increase resistance, yielding lower starter speeds....
Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
The first thing to check is the battery ground, folowed by the chassis to engine ground strap. Even if tight these can get all corroed and increase resistance, yielding lower starter speeds....
I have the same problem as the OP and have had it for some time now. While my engine was out last summer I was able to check and clean the engine/chassis grounds. The wires were in great shape and when I was done it was clean and shiny so the connection I'm sure was good.

I am curious as to what else this could be. I Just put a new battery into my Camaro last month and I still have the same problem.

I have been suspecting that it's my starter. Even if it tested good there could be something wrong causing it to turn slowly.

My starter used to spin like a top, and crank right over. Now it's err...err...err..errrr VROOM. It's like the battery is low, but as I said, it is brand new.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 PM

Not sure how the starter hooks up, but if you test it and it is good then maybe something in the engine is cauing the drag that slows the starter. Did it START up perfect last time you ran it?

Last edited by mrmint69; 04-13-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: ADDED
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 PM

I agree, check all power and grounds from the battery, on the block, etc.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 AM

The little black/white wire goes here:

Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM

hey thanks guys for the replys, they are helpful. I will let yall know what I find.It will be a week or so though{the car is at my ol mans house 180 miles from me}The pics where really great,thanks again. also love the site Jeff