LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

snap on scanner

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:42 PM

snap on scanner

Hey guys now that I've fixed the leak n other things my ses light is on n would like to get it off,I would like to have my own scanner,I can't use my laptop for the software bcuz It needs to stay plugged in n i live in a apt complex. So I remember my mechanic using big red one on my camaro n it says snap on,
Old 12-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Re: snap on scanner

The big red Snap On scanner your mechanic uses is about $2000. It's worth it to him because he uses it a few times every day.

For personal use, one like that is serious overkill. I'd get something like this:

http://amzn.com/B00C2FKPCY
Old 12-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Administrator

He has a 94.... OBD-1, so that won't work. Unfortunately, he doesn't post a "Signature" to avoid this kind of problem. While the year is shown in his screen name, be have people with screen names that are way outdated after multiple f-body purchases over the years.

There are dual (OBD-1/OBD-2) scanners available. Just stay away from Innova brand, since GaryDoug discovered their DTC database for the LT1 is corrupt, and produces an erroneous list of 8 codes, even when there are no codes present.

You can also try and find an older (used) Auto Xray OBD-1 scanner. Works fine, and should be cheap.

GaryDoug has also found a Chinese clone of the Tech-2 that is reasonably cheap and works OK.

And if all else fails, a cheap used laptop would solve your PC problem, and allow you to use the far-superior Scan9495 software.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

This one will work. I tested one.
Amazon.com: Actron CP9185 Elite AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner: Automotive Amazon.com: Actron CP9185 Elite AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner: Automotive

You would need to buy or make an adapter cable for your 94 ($27 from Actron) and a 12v AC-DC supply (included with adapter cable)
Reads codes and engine data fine. Use on any make car.
No ABS or SIR coverage, no graphing, actuators, or meaningful data logging though.

You can get a Tech 2 clone for under $300 now. Has ABS, SIR, some limited data logging, and actuators. I have two, they work fine. Use on GM only.
Online Buy Wholesale gm tech 2 scanner from China gm tech 2 scanner Wholesalers | Aliexpress.com

Last edited by GaryDoug; 12-20-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:25 PM

I have a SnapOn MT2500 scanner. It'll read and clear codes and will give you a live readout of what the sensors are reporting. It's probably what your mechanic used. It works perfectly on OBD1 and OBD2 computers as long as you have the correct cartridge.

You can find them on EBay for anywhere from $200 on up.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
I have a SnapOn MT2500 scanner. It'll read and clear codes and will give you a live readout of what the sensors are reporting. It's probably what your mechanic used. It works perfectly on OBD1 and OBD2 computers as long as you have the correct cartridge.

You can find them on EBay for anywhere from $200 on up.
Hey guys I was able to get the camaro to my mechanic shop he used the snap on scanner,but the scanner isn't picking up the codes,it's saying "no communication"please check the cable and etc. Hey says he has to check the wires really good,n says there can be a low ground somewhere.

But the camaro is running freaking nice just on some stops the idling will drop to 700 but goes back n stays nice. it takes off way better than before too. Just the ses light is bugging me.

Anything I can look at guys thank you,my AN fittings conversion payed off,my alignment of distributor. Thank you guys alot

94 Chevy camaro z28 too many mods
Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28LS1toLT1
Hey guys I was able to get the camaro to my mechanic shop he used the snap on scanner,but the scanner isn't picking up the codes,it's saying "no communication"please check the cable and etc. Hey says he has to check the wires really good,n says there can be a low ground somewhere.

But the camaro is running freaking nice just on some stops the idling will drop to 700 but goes back n stays nice. it takes off way better than before too. Just the ses light is bugging me.

Anything I can look at guys thank you,my AN fittings conversion payed off,my alignment of distributor. Thank you guys alot

94 Chevy camaro z28 too many mods
It's likely that he doesn't have +12V power to the scanner. On OBD1 cars there is no power in the connector. On the scanner plug there is a small power 'jack' on the side. The scanner comers with a wire that plugs into the cigarette lighter and then into that plug. Without that 12V source the scanner won't connect...
Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
It's likely that he doesn't have +12V power to the scanner. On OBD1 cars there is no power in the connector. On the scanner plug there is a small power 'jack' on the side. The scanner comers with a wire that plugs into the cigarette lighter and then into that plug. Without that 12V source the scanner won't connect...
That's what I figured bcuz he's pulled codes in the past when I had a bad maf sensor wire. Ill get a laptop n download the software
Old 12-31-2015, 04:50 PM

Another push for you to create a signature. You only have to do it once so even if you have a lot of mods it's not too bad to do and it will be posted on every post...well worth the time to do and it helps others help you.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by KYWes
Another push for you to create a signature. You only have to do it once so even if you have a lot of mods it's not too bad to do and it will be posted on every post...well worth the time to do and it helps others help you.
Thanks guys turNs out the map sensor wires the three colors Were all wrong
Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
He has a 94.... OBD-1, so that won't work. Unfortunately, he doesn't post a "Signature" to avoid this kind of problem. While the year is shown in his screen name, be have people with screen names that are way outdated after multiple f-body purchases over the years.

There are dual (OBD-1/OBD-2) scanners available. Just stay away from Innova brand, since GaryDoug discovered their DTC database for the LT1 is corrupt, and produces an erroneous list of 8 codes, even when there are no codes present.

You can also try and find an older (used) Auto Xray OBD-1 scanner. Works fine, and should be cheap.

GaryDoug has also found a Chinese clone of the Tech-2 that is reasonably cheap and works OK.

And if all else fails, a cheap used laptop would solve your PC problem, and allow you to use the far-superior Scan9495 software.
☺imback guys hell yea
Old 09-01-2020, 11:01 AM
Administrator

@GaryDoug