LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Over heating after brand new rebuild.HELLLLP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 AM

Re: Over heating after brand new rebuild.HELLLLP!!

Originally Posted by Thirim
as you bring the RPM up, how does the voltage change on the battery? I'd still look at the timing though. at idle with fans and pump on it's still 12.5 or does it drop more? .. Fan rpm will drop as the voltage does. Is it a custom tune? .. do you have the spark advance table if so? .. Have a wideband O2 sensor? .. Curious how lean it is at idle.
The car hasn't been tuned yet for this set up.im still running the custom tune from the set up befor . When I first start the car up you can hear the engine loading up with fuel so I rev it to 2-3k Rpms for a couple seconds and it clears it up. I'll have to check on the voltage as I raise the Rpms next week . I have the radiator out currently and installing new spal fans that are 1700 cfms each. There a paddle type fan blade like the stock ones were so I'm hoping that will help also
Old 03-31-2016, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thirim
as you bring the RPM up, how does the voltage change on the battery? I'd still look at the timing though. at idle with fans and pump on it's still 12.5 or does it drop more? .. Fan rpm will drop as the voltage does. Is it a custom tune? .. do you have the spark advance table if so? .. Have a wideband O2 sensor? .. Curious how lean it is at idle.
As the Rpms go up it will go up to about 13 volts. I'm still running the custom tune from my old set up.i haven't got this new set up tuned yet because of the over heating issue. The car is actually running rich at idle. It loads up with fuel when you start the car and I rev it to 2k Rpms to clear it up. One fan did feel like it wasn't pulling as much air as the other one was.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Since it's untuned, what did you change in the rebuild? .. Stroked, Blower, Inj? etc?

Does it lean out maybe after it gets to closed loop?

Where I'm going with this is that usually on a rebuild we tend to do something to make it better.. Usually this would require more fuel and adjustments to the timing. Since you haven't had a chance to get at that yet, what's going through my head is that there is something in the tune that's causing your issue. So I guess I'm assuming the fans were moving the correct air in the correct direction. Are the fans variable speed? (Guessing not?) .. in anycase you can hotwire them full on temporarily if so to help your troubleshooting.
I'm also assuming your wiring is of sufficient gauge for your water pump. I'm putting the same pump in my 383 build and I'll be running #12 from the battery through a circuit breaker into a relay. Haven't decided on the trigger but it would be a hot in run wire. It would be good to see if what you get at the battery for voltage is what you get at the pump.
13volts sounds low above idle but it's going to be forgiving. As long as you're not in the 10volt range or something and running 16awg wire to the pump. #12 for 10' is good for like 30amps on some charts and you're drawing 8. However you don't want any voltage drop so it's better to play it safe.. No butt connectors, nice clean solder joints etc

All that said, my gut says tune.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:40 PM

I finally got the heating problem solved. It was the fans. I installed the new fans and finished all the wiring today. The car doesn't get hotter then 190. Now I just gotta figure out why the volts are so low . 13.4 volts as the rpms raise . 12.3-12.7 at idle with fans on
Old 05-02-2016, 05:54 PM

Are you using underdrive pulleys?