LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lining up the pin for opti install - yes, i searched.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Lining up the pin for opti install - yes, i searched.

Did a few searches and couldnt find anyone talking about this specific question... I know i need to line the pin up correctly and have pics and know that much.

The pin in my new opti is aligned in a different position than my old was.. so I see 3 options to getting them lined up correctly and don't know if it makes a difference.

1 - Leave pin in new opti, turn it with a wrench to line up with the slot.
2 - Put pin in the correct slot in the car, and turn it with wrench to align with new opti.
3 - Put opti on sideways and turn the opti itself until it lines up with the bolt holes.

Number 3 sounds the easiest to do, but dont want to mess up anything while I do this. Does it matter which way I use?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:26 PM

there is only one correct way for the opti to be installed, if the piece that connects the opti to the motor looks like a 3 leaf clover ther should be a notch in one of the "leafs". thats the one you want to put the pin in. Do not force the opti on. give it a little push and it will fall into its spot if its on there right.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Thanks.. but I have the earlier version without the leafs... it is a pin that has a little notch that lines everything up. I know it must be lined up correctly to work, but if I insert it correctly right now, the opti would be on all sideways.

Can I just put the opti on sideways and turn it around to line up the bolt holes? Or should i leave the pin in either the opti or the engine, and turn it there, to line it up so the opti will mount correctly?

Edit:
As in: when my old opti was removed, the notch was facing down towards my driver side tire. The new opti has the notch facing a little upwards and towards the battery.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
When you say notch, are you talking about the key in the splined shaft? I've never installed an opti, but I'm guessing you're going to have to turn the shaft on your new opti until it is correctly aligned with the notch in the camshaft.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM

right. A tech at my shop told me you can only put it on one way. i just replaced mine in a 95 Z28 and it popped right on. my guess is to put it on and then rotate it. the computer will figure out the rest. it should if its on there right anyway.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
When you say notch, are you talking about the key in the splined shaft? I've never installed an opti, but I'm guessing you're going to have to turn the shaft on your new opti until it is correctly aligned with the notch in the camshaft.

this is what i did. The opti only goes on one way
Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Heritage
Thanks.. but I have the earlier version without the leafs... it is a pin that has a little notch that lines everything up. I know it must be lined up correctly to work, but if I insert it correctly right now, the opti would be on all sideways.

Can I just put the opti on sideways and turn it around to line up the bolt holes? Or should i leave the pin in either the opti or the engine, and turn it there, to line it up so the opti will mount correctly?

Edit:
As in: when my old opti was removed, the notch was facing down towards my driver side tire. The new opti has the notch facing a little upwards and towards the battery.
I'm not quite understanding your example, the opti part that has the "notch" can spin, so there isnt a direction it faces, it can face up/down however you spin it.

On the piece the opti slides onto, there should be a spline that lines up to the notch. Just look at it and slide it on. The cloverleaf style is for the 95+ cars, and the non-cloverleaf one is for the non-vented optis.
http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg
http://shbox.com/1/opti_back.jpg
if you have the first pic line the key show in the picture up. If your have the second, line up the notch with the notch on your engine. Spin the opti key to match up. Should take 10 seconds