LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Driver's Rear Exhaust bolt broken off in Head

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 AM

Re: Driver's Rear Exhaust bolt broken off in Head

How to Remove a Broken Bolt | eHow.com

I got the extracting bit from Sears and got mine out (once you have room to access) pretty easy. This link gives a few tips and even things I forgot, like how to clean out the debris. It is a great feeling having the broken off part unscrew clean and come out with no damage.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Ok so I gotter done. No more pfffft pfffft.

It still has to stand the test of time though. I took some pictures if anyone else is foolish enough to drill a new hole in the manifold like I did.

I used a socked head bolt and ground just enough clearance in the outside of the port to let the head pull down. It was still really tight and it was kind of like 'working' a header down one header bolt turn at a time. I couldn't just put all the bolts in like a stock manifold, because of the small clearance I made for the socket head bolt.

But it seems to work and it probably took me an extra hour (to drill the hole and grind the clearance) over what it would have taken to simply replace the gasket. It ain't pretty but you can't see it so meh.

I'll report back if something catastrophic happens in a week or so!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:39 PM

Hopefully it just stays put. Re tighten it after a few heat cycles!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 AM

Passed the 3 month mark and still holding...
Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 AM

ok so I have the same exact problem rear driver side ex manifold bolt is busted and id like to get it out or drill into it and use it asa smaller anchor point for another bolt and washer set up. could you please detail how you fixed yours? thanks in adavance
luke
Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Administrator

If you left click on 350350's screen name, you will get a drop-down that offers the option to send him a "private message". That would increase the chances of a response, even if he doesn't happen to read this thread.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 PM

I'm here! Do not believe the rumors of my untimely demise!!! I drilled the manifold for the 'inside' hole on the rear of the head... It is still holding just fine. I will dig up the pictures I took and post them. I had to use a header bolt with a small head and clearance the manifold port a bit. So far so good tho...

I'll dig up the pictures and post them later this eve...
Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 PM

OK Luke well I can't find the pictures... but I'll try to summarize...

The rear exhaust port of the head has 3 bolt holes for the manifold. The one that broke off in my head was the farthest out bolt... so there are 2 bolt holes directly on each side of the port. The 3rd bolt hole is farther away from the port.

The manifold is cast and drilled for the outermost bolt holes. Using a gasket as a template, I drilled a 3rd hole in the manifold so that I could use the remaining bolt hole in the head, and therefore not need to remove the broken bolt.

The tricky part is grinding a clearance on the outside of the manifold so that you have a seat for the head of your new bolt location. You need a flat place for the bolt head to seat, and a clearance for the bolt head itself. This takes some tricky (talented, if I do say so myself) grinding. Just take your time. You have to be sure you don't grind too far into the exhaust manifold, or you'll grind all the way through into the exhaust port itself.

I used a socket head bolt so that it 1) took less clearance and 2) was easier to get a socket into, rather than trying to get on the hex of a bolt head.

If that doesn't make sense, I'll try to draw a picture or annotate a picture of a stock manifold.

It will make more sense if you get the manifold off and look at the hole configuration around that exhaust port.