Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Belt Squeek Only When Shifting

Having a momentary squeek (< 1/2 a second) at WOT (moreso when downshifting or releasing throttle very rapitly after WOT) coming from the belt/pullys. This is one of Frank C's A4's w/ a 3200 Stall.

Belt is dead silent at all other times. I've replaced the tensioner not too long ago, and the belt's definatly not that old either.

Q1: Is this anything to be concerned with?

I have a gatorback kicking around in the garage, but i'm just wondering if this is something others have just learnt to live with on stronger shifting A4's

Q2: The car shifts HARD into 2nd, even with mid throttle. I recall on older rebuilt tran's this went away over time... So far its still shifting hard - is this a good thing or something to be concerned with?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
1995 Black Z28 Vert A4: 1LE Intake Elbow, K&N CAI w/ AMSOIL conical filter, TB Bypass, !AIR, LT4 KM, Magnaflow Catback, 30# Injectors, Revalved Bilsteins, Hotchkis Springs, Addco Adjustable PHB, Rebuild@166k. Opti, !CAT, 35mm Strano Swaybar,Yank 3400 Stall, MAC mids, Poly Ball Tubular LCA's, Relo. Brackets, UMI Chrome Moly STB, CPT Trans, B&M Cooler

Last edited by TobyZ28; 06-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.
TobyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #2

Re: Belt Squeek Only When Shifting

Never had another shift squeak after installing a Gatorback.
shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Garage
Sorry to hijack, Rob, do you know the part # for the gatorback that fits the LT1 with stock accessory configuration?
1995 Z28 M6 Swapped, 3.73 Gears, LS brakes w/slotted rotors & Hawk pads, Pro 5.0 shifter, GMPP CAI, BBK Shorties, LT4 KM, LT4 Hotcam, Crane Race gold 1.6 rr's, 160 T-stat, Magnaflow stainless axle-back, TPiS Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD Blaster 2 and 6AL, BMR tubular LCA's, panhard, adj. TQ arm with BMR trans X-member, Hotchkis STB, UMI SFC's, 52mm Holley
jloshotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #4

The Gatorback belt puts the kibosh on belt squeak.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloshotz View Post
Sorry to hijack, Rob, do you know the part # for the gatorback that fits the LT1 with stock accessory configuration?
It depends on the year. There were two different belt sizes used, due to a change in the a/c pulley size.

My 95 used this one, but earlier years might use a 637 instead of a 642:

Click the image to open in full size.
shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks Rob, mine's a 95 as well
1995 Z28 M6 Swapped, 3.73 Gears, LS brakes w/slotted rotors & Hawk pads, Pro 5.0 shifter, GMPP CAI, BBK Shorties, LT4 KM, LT4 Hotcam, Crane Race gold 1.6 rr's, 160 T-stat, Magnaflow stainless axle-back, TPiS Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD Blaster 2 and 6AL, BMR tubular LCA's, panhard, adj. TQ arm with BMR trans X-member, Hotchkis STB, UMI SFC's, 52mm Holley
jloshotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #7

Mine squeels as well, didn't know there was a fix besides putting on fresh belts very often! Thanks for the info!
05 SRT10 Supercharged Viper truck 569 rwhp
2QUIK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply's i'll my gatorback on then and see how it goes
1995 Black Z28 Vert A4: 1LE Intake Elbow, K&N CAI w/ AMSOIL conical filter, TB Bypass, !AIR, LT4 KM, Magnaflow Catback, 30# Injectors, Revalved Bilsteins, Hotchkis Springs, Addco Adjustable PHB, Rebuild@166k. Opti, !CAT, 35mm Strano Swaybar,Yank 3400 Stall, MAC mids, Poly Ball Tubular LCA's, Relo. Brackets, UMI Chrome Moly STB, CPT Trans, B&M Cooler
TobyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 AM

Reply Post New Thread