LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any issues to address while installing headers on LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM

Any issues to address while installing headers on LT1?

Hey all. As most of you have probably already seen, I am in the process of purchasing a '97 SS w/ 34k miles. One of the first things I plan to do is finish the exhaust. Currently has SLP 2OTL and SLP CAI. As I learn more about the LT1 and the cramped engine bay, are there any other things I should address while doing the header install? I am reading that the headers are very close to the spark plugs. Would it be wise to replace the plugs while doing the headers? Do any of you LT1 guys have suggestions on any other things that should be addressed/assessed/replaced while doing the headers?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Re: Any issues to address while installing headers on LT1?

Changing the plugs when the old headers are removed is the perfect time. You'll have a good visual shot, and won't have to work blind.

Good luck with the 97 SS.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM

97 with 34k miles - odds are the plugs and wires have never been replaced. Might want to do that. Passenger side hoses can be a pain with (and without) headers, check those too. I know my passenger side wiring needed to be wrapped and strapped with my hooker LTs, check that as well. IIRC, my starter wires needed to be rerouted to stay off of the headers too.

Go slow and watch everything is the best advise. What gaskets are you using? I've had great luck with Percy's, check Summit or your local auto store.

Edit - don't forget to be careful with the plugs, aluminum heads are easy to crossthread

Last edited by Dtimekw; 06-11-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dtimekw
97 with 34k miles - odds are the plugs and wires have never been replaced. Might want to do that. Passenger side hoses can be a pain with (and without) headers, check those too. I know my passenger side wiring needed to be wrapped and strapped with my hooker LTs, check that as well. IIRC, my starter wires needed to be rerouted to stay off of the headers too.

Go slow and watch everything is the best advise. What gaskets are you using? I've had great luck with Percy's, check Summit or your local auto store.

Edit - don't forget to be careful with the plugs, aluminum heads are easy to crossthread
No idea on what gaskets I will be using yet. Maybe I will look into the Percy's. I really want to do everything right with this car... from the mods to the minor things like gaskets and other little details.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by sloppytot
No idea on what gaskets I will be using yet. Maybe I will look into the Percy's. I really want to do everything right with this car... from the mods to the minor things like gaskets and other little details.
Glad to hear it. I always tell my kids, "do it right the first time, every time". Shortly after that, I usually get flipped off
Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Your earlier post indicates the car came with a set of Hooker shorties that had not been installed. Is this what you plan to install? Are they single-cat or dual-cat? Are they CARB-certified? Do you have to pass a visual emissions inspection, that would detect elimination or relocation of your current dual-cat configuration?

Do the headers have emissions connections (EGR and AIR)? Do you plan to retain those systems?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Your earlier post indicates the car came with a set of Hooker shorties that had not been installed. Is this what you plan to install? Are they single-cat or dual-cat? Are they CARB-certified? Do you have to pass a visual emissions inspection, that would detect elimination or relocation of your current dual-cat configuration?

Do the headers have emissions connections (EGR and AIR)? Do you plan to retain those systems?
I am still undecided if I am going with the Hooker shorties or long tubes. For emissions/inspection reasons, I am leaning towards the hooker shorties. From what I have been told, they do a visual inspection. The more I am hearing of NY's emissions inspection, I am thinking about doing the Hooker shorty headers. To finish it off, I guess I can find a high flow cat...? Not sure if they are CARB certified or single/dual cat. Will know tonight.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Administrator

If they do a "visual", I would expect them to check the number of cats - you are supposed to have two - and the location of the cats - they have to be in the stock location.