General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Wire Tap/Headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 01:39 PM

Question Wire Tap/Headlight help

Hey guys well, I finally got my halo eye headlights. They actually look pretty slick. Now, in order for the "halo eye" to work I have to connect it to the parking lights.

On the halo eye headlight I have one positive and one negative line, I was told that I dont need to cut or solder anything together in order for this to work out. I was told to use a wire tap but can someone please explain to me what a wire tap is? I dont want to walk into the hardware store a complete idiot. ( I dont know crap about wiring or any type of electrical work)

On the car I have what looks like a black wire and a brown wire, its not even red. I am assuming that the brown/red wire is the positive one. So I would just tap the two wires together and get it running.

The thing is i probably should have planned ahead but i already have the headlights off and its starting to get dark so if you guys wouldn't mind giving me a speedy reply that would be great

EDIT: Here is a link to what the headlights look like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

Last edited by LT-14me; 06-30-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Re: Wire Tap/Headlight help

They are probalby describing a Scotch-Lok connector. You put your "new" wire in the connector, and put the connector over the insulation on a straight run of the wire you want to splice into. Then you press a little metal tab on the side of the connector in with a pair of pliers, and it pierces the insulation and connects the two wires together. Its most likely a Radio Shack trip for those.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
They are probalby describing a Scotch-Lok connector. You put your "new" wire in the connector, and put the connector over the insulation on a straight run of the wire you want to splice into. Then you press a little metal tab on the side of the connector in with a pair of pliers, and it pierces the insulation and connects the two wires together. Its most likely a Radio Shack trip for those.

Hmm...well, i tried something simular to that at my local hardware store its a plastic piece that has a slot for 2 wires side by side. With a metal tab that will cut into both wires if you use pliers. I did that and well, i did a test run on both headlights and i burnt out the headlight low beam bulbs.
They were smoking and burnt out. I am assuming its due to an influx in the amperage but i still think its weird.

I dont want to solder them incase the same thing happens. It was just strange. I need new headlights so i am going to Autozone tomorrow and radio shack is right next door so i guess i will see if they have anything.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:23 AM

Anyone have an idea as to why the headlight bulb burnt out? I just bought some new bulbs today and i am going to try a different connector but i dont want to keep going through light bulbs like tissue paper.

All i can think of is that maybe i didnt use the right guage connector and it made a surge somewhere?

Also like i said on the parking lights there is no red to designate positive current. There is a brown wire and what looks like a black wire it could be dark green though?