General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

need help on 94z28 radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:31 PM

Re: need help on 94z28 radio

yes I already have run new wires to all speakers except the very back subwoofer type speaker according to a non bose wireing diagram, I found on the internet and came up a couple wires short because of the (bare) wires used in the bose wireing setup.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:27 AM

As mentioned above the speaker wiring for the standard and Bose radios is different, and none of the Bose wiring will work with the standard radio. But in 94 the connectors for the radio are the same. I don't know about your 96 radio but since it seems like you have already used the 94 connectors on your 96 radio so they may be the same.

There are two connectors for the radio. One has ten pins and the other one has four pins. On the ten pin connector six pins are grouped together and four pins are together. The six pins are common for all radios and don't need to be changed. The four pins are the front speaker wires. With the ten pin connector facing you the four pins are on the right. The farthest right pin is number 1. That is the left front speaker negative wire. The next pin (#2) is the left front speaker positive. The next one (#3) is the right front negative. The last one (#4) is the right front positive.

The connector with only four pins is for the two rear speakers. With the connector facing you the first pin on the left (#17) is the right rear negative. The next one (#18) is the right rear positive. The next one (#19) is the left rear negative. The next one (#20) is the left rear positive. I included the pin numbers because may be on the connectors. The ten pin connector should be black and the four pin one is blue.

In 94 the Bose system only used three speakers. The rear speaker in the left package area isn't used with the base system so there isn't a connection for it. The rear speakers for the base system are in the panels on each side of the rear seat. If the 96 base radio is the same as the 94 one you should be able to connect your new speaker wires as described.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 PM

The 96 radio came out of a 1996 rs. it doesn't have bose on it anywhere but I goa a lot of parts of the old car and I picked up a large rear speaker that came out of the trunk area since mine was missing it. could it be a bose radio also I looked at the back and other that the regular connection there is a place for a second plug in it is a am-fm-cd player. but does not have bose anywhere on it do I need to search for another radio???? thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Look at the top area of the front plate of the radio. I think you indicated it is a cassette unit. Just to the left of the clock display, it will say either:

"Delco Electronics" = standard radio

"Delco BOSE" - optional Bose system

If it is a CD unit, the markings are different. The clock area is in the upper right corner, and the words "Delco BOSE" are just below and to the right of the clock display. A standard unit will have the word "Delco" toward the left, between the "SET" and "RCL" buttons.

At least that is what the 1996 Factory Service Manual shows.

There is a plug on the 96 for the remote CD player. That is called C4, and is 9-pin. The factory wiring harness in the 96 includes the C4 connector, and it is plugged into the radio whether the vehicle has the remote CD player or not.

Ignore that socket on the 1996 radio, you don't need to connect anything to it.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:43 PM

It says delco-loc2 that's all it says on the front
Old 10-19-2015, 03:55 PM

The way I understand it the Bose radios in Camaros were built by Delco. They were designed by Bose. The only Bose indication on my radio is a small Delco/Bose logo on the front of the radio. If the car you got the 96 radio from had the stock speaker in the left cargo area it might be a Bose radio. It is possible that the non Bose radio used a speaker there in 96 but I doubt it. The Bose speaker in the cargo area isn't really bigger than the speakers in the door panels. It is just in a large plastic enclosure. The amplifier is also in the enclosure. If you still have access to the 96 RS you could check the option codes to see which radio it had. If your 96 radio is a Bose, the only way it will work is with the Bose amplifiers and speakers.

One reason a lot of people remove the Bose system is the amplifiers fail. When an amplifier fails that speaker will have very low or no volume.

If your 96 radio isn't a Bose. Have you run new speaker wires to all four speakers and hooked them to the correct spots on the radio connectors. If you are still trying to use any of the original Bose speaker wiring with a non Bose radio it won't work. The only wiring info I have is for a 94. As I said in my post above the 94 has two plugs. If you don't have two plugs in your wiring harness maybe whoever put in the aftermarket radio removed it.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Originally Posted by dkred94z
It says delco-loc2 that's all it says on the front
It seems to be a Bose radio that you got from the 96, so that wont work without the amped speakers.

In the 96 service manual, you can barely read the words Delco Loc II in the center of the diagram that is captioned: Delco GM-Bose Music System/Compact Disc on page 9A-2

Last edited by GaryDoug; 10-19-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:38 PM

sorry I am getting back late..... I went back to the old 96 Camaro and got the plug in got the back of the radio that has all the wires to it. my son has a friend at work who is changing out the radio of a 94 trans am gt and will let me have it cheap cheap. so I might more this weeklend. will that radio fit in the dash like the camero one? I don't know that kind of delco radio it is. thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
It seems to be a Bose radio that you got from the 96, so that wont work without the amped speakers.

In the 96 service manual, you can barely read the words Delco Loc II in the center of the diagram that is captioned: Delco GM-Bose Music System/Compact Disc on page 9A-2
Look at the top of Figure 2 on page 9A-2. In the display area, toward the left edge it indicates "Delco" in the black rectangle, and "Bose" in the overlapping white rectangle. The logo isn't real clear in Figure 2, but it is the same logo that is clearer in figure 3, lower right corner of display area.

Look at page 9A-3, Figure 4, which is the standard radio. It has the same "Delco Lok II" in the same location as the Delco Bose unit. But it only says "Delco" in the black rectangle between the "SET" and "RCL" buttons.

I think if it says "Delco Lok II", but does not say "Bose" anywhere, it is the standard radio, not the Bose.

As far as the Firebird radio, check first to see if it will even fit. The Firebird radio is rectangular, in a rectangular opening. The Camaro opening is rounded at the corners, and sloped on the right side. Maybe the Camaro unit itself is rectangular, but the opeining might interfere with the Firebird display or controls.

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-21-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Fred, I see those now. Pretty conclusive I guess.

It does look rectangular with a curved bezel I suppose:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Delco-Cam...-/321810772879

Last edited by GaryDoug; 10-21-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:24 PM
Administrator

With the 96 standard radio, the harness connectors from the 96 chassis, and the correct size wires run to each speaker (all of which he indicates he has), it's just a little bit of splicing to get the system working.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:23 AM

hey there a problem I was going to hook up the radio out of the car with the new connector I got. The sun light hit the face of the radio and where the clock is I saw real lightly the words delco bose it had almost been rubbed off by wear... I guess that puts me back looking for a radio or waiting for the trans am radio radio later this week.. any suggestions.. it looked weird when I saw the 2 bare wires like the ones on my 94 z. thanks alot
Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Administrator

See my comment above regarding the Firebird radio. The opening in the dash is different, and may be a problem. Not sure.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:51 PM

I will let you know when I get my hands on it thanks
Old 10-25-2015, 06:59 AM

Hi there,The person with the radio from the 94 trans am is off sick so I won't be able to get it for about a week in the meantime I got my hands on this type similar to the one pictured. I sorta wired it up quickly and sound came out of some of the speakers. 1 was dead 2 more had static in them so I went and picked up come speakers. I haven't had tomt install it all the way yet, that should be soon. thanks a lot

GM Delco 1995 02 Chevy S10 Car Radio Am FM Cassette Player Part Number 09383831 | eBay

Quick Reply: need help on 94z28 radio