General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

My window is off the track, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:48 AM

Re: My window is off the track, help!

Originally Posted by RoMaD
I know Lower had some problems, and I'm curious as to how he did it, and maybe avoid that way and try something else.
I had been drilling the 2nd of the 3 rivets that fasten the A Channel to the window. It takes quite a bit of pressure to keep the drill going through these, and the combination of the pressure at the window bottom, and the drill borke the window. I may have hit the window with the drill bit, but I was dead center, so I sure don't know how that could have been.

I won't fix it myself again, I know that. I bet a glass shop would charge less then $50, and be done in an hour or less. I suppose I could be wrong, but for me it didn't seem like a tough job, just risky. And despite the fact that others above may have you believe I'm a spastic orangutang, I'm not. Stuff happens, and working around glass always carries a bit of risk, regaurdless of skill.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:11 AM

Well, I think I'm going to try to do this myself tomorrow. I have the parts now and I'm probably going to go with some small bolts/nuts, plus locking washers, plus locktite to keep it together. The only part that worries me is getting the rivets drilled out.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:41 PM

If any one else is going to try this it is VERY simple..I just did it with out removing the motor or the regulator..You just remove the door panel, roll the window up high enough to get at the rivit in the front, the center of my rivets can out very easy, then, TAKE YOUR TIME and use progressivly bigger drill bits through the center of the rivit...also put somthing behind the glass to wedge it towards you...eventualy the rivit will spin with the drill, hold it with pliers, use the next size bigger bit, drill it out again slowly and that will be it..i didnt break any of the plastic pieces..lower the window and do the same on the two rivits at the back...lift out your glass and set it somewhere safe..now the bracket will slide forward and back..you can slide it off the regulator rollers and fish it out through the top..now fish your new bracket in there..slide it on the regulator..unbolt the rear channel (the one at the back that goes up and down) slide it on the the window bracket and bolt the rear channel back in...reinstall the glass usin the same plastic pieces that came off of it and new bolts with lock nuts....button everything up and thats it!

No broken glass! No messing with the motor OR the regulator!
Go easy on the rivits, they are made of soft metal and will drill very well, the very center of the rivit will come out, it is made of steel. sorry this is poorly written, I'm not much of a writer, i tend to ramble....GOOD LUCK