General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

lt1 oil leak, spark plug install, and coil wire help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM

lt1 oil leak, spark plug install, and coil wire help please.

i just got my motor in my t/a and i get 60 psi oil pressure when i turn the key, a few days later i notice a good sized puddle of oil under the car, dripping from by the slave cylinder and the center of the bellhousing. i tried to trace it back and its leaking around the oil filter, but not on the filter itself, and its wet above the oil filter..the only spot above the oil filter could be the oil pressure sensor i though? its dry around the base of the sensor, and on the block but i can feel its wet on the bell housing on top.. im stumped. is there a plug or something up top that i am missing?

problem 2: i cannot fit my hands to get the back 2 passenger side plugs in. i have aftermarket headers and i also broke the mounting tab off of my dipstick.. tonight is not a good night

problem 3: i went to the auto parts store and they were unable to help me get a coil wire for my motor..can someone help me or even sell me one? thanks..pretty much the last part i need so i can fire it up

motor has not yet been started, only turned over with the starter

Last edited by coreylt1; 06-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 AM

Re: lt1 oil leak, spark plug install, and coil wire help please.

Stick a hand behind the heads and intake. If the hand comes back oily, it is the infamous intake leak.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator

If I read your post correctly, the engine has not run. All you have done is turn the key to crank the engine using the starter. You indicate the oil pressure goes to 60psi when you turn the key - do you mean when the key is in the run position, or in the start position?

You mention the oil pressure sensor being above the oil filter. Did you relocate yours? Stock, a 96 has the pressure sensor at the top of the block, just behind the back of the intake manifold. But there is a pipe plug in a hole in the block right above the oil filter, where the 93 and early 94's located the oil pressure sensor.

Check the oil filter adapter to make sure its bolted up tight to the block.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If I read your post correctly, the engine has not run. All you have done is turn the key to crank the engine using the starter. You indicate the oil pressure goes to 60psi when you turn the key - do you mean when the key is in the run position, or in the start position?

You mention the oil pressure sensor being above the oil filter. Did you relocate yours? Stock, a 96 has the pressure sensor at the top of the block, just behind the back of the intake manifold. But there is a pipe plug in a hole in the block right above the oil filter, where the 93 and early 94's located the oil pressure sensor.

Check the oil filter adapter to make sure its bolted up tight to the block.
oil pressure goes to 60 when it is in the start position.

it is in the stock position, i meant that it is higher up than the oil filter, meaning that it could possibly be leaking down, across the bellhousing, to the block near the oil filter.

maybe that plug is missing/ leaking? but then it most likely would have no oil pressure, and an even bigger leak?

i will wipe down the block and see if i can pin point it better when it leaks again
Old 06-29-2012, 03:56 PM

I have a front seal leak on my 96 and I used a couple cans of berrymans carb and choke cleaner to pin point my leak. Just try and spray the areas with it and get it as clean as possible to try and figure it out. Hope this helps.