General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How DO I TURN off RED BRAKE LIGHT??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 03:46 AM

How DO I TURN off RED BRAKE LIGHT??

Hey Fbods.
Ok long time ago. I did my rear end gears in my LT1 Camaro. When I got done with the gears. The Red Brake light that turns on when you pull the "E" brake to hold the car in to position, well it stayed on everysince. So How do I turn that damn light off. MY "E" brake doesnt work any more because the cable snapped during the rear end removal. Thanks
Chris
LT1CST@aol.com
Old 07-01-2005, 09:02 AM

Re: How DO I TURN off RED BRAKE LIGHT??

Is your brake handle up a little? Try checking the switch for the handle.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Administrator

The "BRAKE" light also is used to indicate that you have a problem with your braking system. Specifically, it comes on when the switch in the distribution block on the side of the ABS motor detects a difference in line pressures between the front and rear braking circuits. Might be a leak, air in a line, etc.

Or, maybe the switch for the E-brake is messed up, as Rob suggested.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Injunner That makes sense becuase when I had the rear end done. I did bust a rear brake line. I was using the two front brakes to stop. It was scary. But I replaced those lines and its perfect now. I bled the system out no problem and got all the air out. So if thats the case now what?
Chris
Old 07-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Well... if you have verified its not due to something in the E-brake switch/linkage.... a few people have had the light go on when the brakes got screwed up, then the light stays on even after they fix the problem. I think the solution is to get on the brakes really hard one time to try and break the switch loose. Make sure you have a lot of room around you when you try it
Old 07-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Here's something that might help figure it out. Do you have DRLs? If so, they stay off if you start the car with the e-brake on, until you put it in gear. See what yours does, it might help indicate if it's an actual brake problem, or if it thinks the e-brake is on.

I've always thought the horse-shoe e-brake was completely unrelated to the normal brake. Even though they share a light, having the e-brake unhooked should not influence the normal brakes, totally seperate systems. At least on a 4 wheel disc 4th gen.

Older cars have a button on the proportioning valve that needs reset after a brake failure like you describe. Probably under a rubber boot.
Good Luck!
Old 07-01-2005, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Well... if you have verified its not due to something in the E-brake switch/linkage.... a few people have had the light go on when the brakes got screwed up, then the light stays on even after they fix the problem. I think the solution is to get on the brakes really hard one time to try and break the switch loose. Make sure you have a lot of room around you when you try it
in addition make sure you bled it well. it might still have some air in it. once you do, you pratically have to stand on the brake pedal to get this switch to reset(i am 6'3" 240 lbs, mostly legs, and its a workout for me to get that safety switch reset). if you have a 6 speed do this on level ground or chock the wheels good

Last edited by slowpoke96z28; 07-01-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:53 AM

It takes a 450 psi brake application to reset it.[to clarify, it's not 'pounds of pedal force', but PSI in the system.. still it is a very hard brake application.]