General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

fuel pump 97 z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 PM

fuel pump 97 z28

oh help!!!!!!!!!!!!
I pulled the unit from the tank and now have the new pump in place But I have wires that I just cant see where they go any one have a clue???also connected the battery back and turned the ig over and nothing.So one may be the Hot wire.so worried am gonna blow up my car who in their right mind puts hott wires with fuel?Just replaced the pump not the unit.i am scared
PS any one live in my area that wants to help Ill buy ya a beer..because i love my car and she is sick

Last edited by LisasBaby97; 07-04-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: new info
Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Re: fuel pump 97 z28

There are three wires on the fuel pump support assembly:

Purple - Level sensor. Single spade connector goes to the sensor

Gray - 12V to fuel pump

Black - as always, the ground for the level sensor and the pump.

The gray and black wires are combined into a 2-pin black connector. That attaches to the fuel pump.

The black wire has a spade connector crimped on to the middle. That goes to the level sensor.

Those colors correspond to the colors on the harness connector over the rear axle:

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_connector.jpg

There is no danger with wires in the fuel tank.

You can test the wiring to the pump, bypassing the VATS and PCM interlocks, and the fuel pump relay, by applying 12V to the fuel pump prime connector next to the PCM:

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg
Old 07-04-2011, 10:03 PM

Just got off work and saw your post.Thanks you so much for your time in the info.IT's going to go a long way.I replaced the old fuel filter the other day,then got as far as the install of the pump.I was so just had to step way from the baby before the abuse started. I will go on your info and tackle it in the morning.We will be running....oh yesI enjoy my car so much.First Camaro I ever had.Was a mopar Baby growing up.Thanks so much....
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM

okay i see where the wires go the black and grey i will half to secure togather they are not going back the way they came apart but the purple wire is an inch too short of going back on the level sencer no matter what way i move it.could i strip the end and extend it with a new spade on the end ?? i know that is where the thing came from but just isnt going back the same.also their is a hose that is comeing off the pump its self with no where to go is that the pick up for the fuel??This kind of work juist isnt my Fourte'a.....hey thanks so much.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Administrator

What parts did you get that are new? If you are just trying to put a new fuel pump in the stock fuel pump support assembly, why would the level sensor even have to be unplugged, and why would the black and gray wires not still be connected to the little black plug that attaches to the pump? And make sure you understand - the black and gray wires do not connect to each other. They both attach to seaparate pins in the plug for the pump.

I have a spare support assembly sitting next to me as I type this, and I can't understand why you are having a problem with the wires.