General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Bad blower motor maybe????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 AM

Bad blower motor maybe????

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for all of your help...

Im a pretty big noob when it comes to an Lt1....but anywho!

When I turn on the heat or the air, the vents at my feet will blow out cold whether its set for heat or air...but as far as the vents; I get nothing!....Is it the blower motor, wiring problem, what could it be?

Its winter time and cold as hell in North Carolina, so hopefully we'll figure it out! lol...

Thanks again,
Ashley
Old 12-04-2011, 05:17 AM

Re: Bad blower motor maybe????

Originally Posted by Aenglish0516
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for all of your help...

Im a pretty big noob when it comes to an Lt1....but anywho!

When I turn on the heat or the air, the vents at my feet will blow out cold whether its set for heat or air...but as far as the vents; I get nothing!....Is it the blower motor, wiring problem, what could it be?

Its winter time and cold as hell in North Carolina, so hopefully we'll figure it out! lol...

Thanks again,
Ashley
Hi and welcome....

If the air is flowing out of the vents at your feet then the blower has to be working......

A failure like you describe is sometimes due to a fault in the distribution block. This block opens and closes doors to get the air flowing to the proper ducting. First thing, with the car stopped but running. Turn the vent **** to the floor setting and turn the fan on full. Is air coming out of the ducts? Hot or cold doesn't matter yet. If there is air flow, switch the vent **** to defrost and feel for airflow at the defroster vents. Is air coming out? Again, hot or cold doesn't matter....

Post back with your results and we'll help figure it out...
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Please note that there are numerous forums, covering many different topics. This is the "LT1 Based Engine Tech" forum, and is limited to "engine" topics. When you can't find a specific forum that covers your topic, use the "General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech" forum.

I'll move this post there for you.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Administrator

And, to help you solve your problem, the most common cause for the problem you are experiencing is a broken check valve or loose vacuum line. Shoebox has the info you need to check this out:

http://shbox.com/1/hvac_vacuum.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/vac_check_valve.jpg

This is a case where it doesn't matter what year 4th Gen you have or what engine you have - they used the same system in all the F-Bodys.

If you never get any heat at all, either the cable that operates the heat/AC flapper door is loose/broken, or the heater core is plugged up.