General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Air filter questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Air filter questions

Just got my Z a week ago (see sig for pics and info).

The original owner installed a Corsa cat-back and an airbox lid from LS1 Motorsports, but he left the stock paper filter.

A buddy of mine (he's on these forums somewhere, but I don't know his handle) says that I'll get much better throttle response with a K&N filter. I've heard others say that paper is best (but they never seem to justify it). Another buddy of mine says that K&N flows well because it filters less, and that using a K&N is just asking for dirt in your engine (he recommends foam filters like TrueFlow).

I like the idea of a foam filter, but TrueFlow doesn't have a filter for the LS1.

I'd eventually like to upgrade the whole intake with something like SLP's FlowPac -- CAI, K&N, lid, and bellows -- and maybe a new MAF too.

I don't think I'll keep my LS1 Motorsports lid. First of all, the lettering on it is peeling off, and it looks like poop. And second, I can't find any evidence that LS1 Motorsports is still in business. I like the look of the SLP lid much better.

So here are my questions:

1. What filter do you use, and why?
2. Is CAI worth the money, over just a lid and filter?
3. What happened to LS1 Motorsports?

Thanks!

-Jake
Old 08-04-2005, 09:43 AM

Re: Air filter questions

Well as far as filters go! Paper airfilter is better? i dont think so. id choose K&N over it any day or any other filter fo that matter. They filter pretty good too, but all that is just IMO. Eventho i think couple of people of this sire will agree. :dunno:
Old 08-04-2005, 10:17 AM

filters are a much debated topic. they really don't gain you any power like companies claim. but they are washable...so they cost less in the long run. as for the filtering ability...well...that's your choice. any dirt that gets through a filter like the K&N is gonna be pretty freakin small...take that as you will.

as for the lid....a lid is a lid is a lid.

the SLP flowpac is a waste of money. the only part of it that is good is the lid.
their CAI is not all that effective, the bellows is pointless (99.9% visual mod), and the filter...well...we've already addressed that.

and the stock maf is more than adequate...you could actually lose power with an aftermarket.

if you want suggestions:

the lids at www.texas-speed.com are nice pieces, and the SSRA is a true CAI and at higher speeds it is a good ram air.

do some searches and you'll find plenty of info on it
Old 08-04-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I've heard others say that paper is best (but they never seem to justify it). Another buddy of mine says that K&N flows well because it filters less, and that using a K&N is just asking for dirt in your engine (he recommends foam filters like TrueFlow).

My uncle is a Certified GM Master Tech and has been a VERY SMART and Knowledgable technician for as long as I can remember. He has allways told me that the K&N filters are a waste of money. (as far as filtration goes) Obviously, if it flows better.....something has to have been sacrificed. It only makes sense. I had a cold air intake on my last car w/ the K&N unit. I had to clean my TB every oil change. That could have also been because of the location of the filter. Which make me think of another good point. Where the filter is located depends on how much crap it is exposed to. --Common sense.

The K&N uses an oil to help trap the fine dust from getting into the engine. I've heard that when the oil gets on the MAF sensing unit, it can throw off the metering qualities. --try searching on that one, I know there's a thread on that here somewhere.

The lids are fine and they all perfom the same way. No lid is supperior. The cold air intake would be a waste of good money that could be used elsewhere. As far as LS1 Motorsports... I have no clue! I think the MTI clear lids look kewl! Or you could even go as far to get a carbon fiber lid.

I am moving to NM soon, and I'm thinking about puting the paper filter back in. --Just because of the dust.

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 08-04-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

I was searching on foam air filters, and came across this one:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/detail.aspx?ID=5206

Anyone tried one of these?

-Jake
Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Interesting reading:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 08-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

That was very interesting. Thanks!

I can't help but wonder if the flow numbers would have been more evident with a larger motor, needing more air. How much air can a Miata consume anyway? :-)

Looking at the filtration difference between a K&N and a stock paper filter, I think it'd be smart to buy a K&N filter for purely financial reasons. If I only get the 0.2% flow increase, fine. I'm saving money!

Still want to know what everyone else thinks. :-)

-Jake
Old 08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

I found a couple more links:

This is the most definitive information I've ever found. Several filter brands and types were tested in extremely controlled conditions, with flow comparisons compared up to 350CFM. Anyone know what kind of airflow an LS1 needs? A quick search indicated that 250CFM was more than enough for a stock motor.

This article compares four aftermarket filters. The comparison is made with the Nissan Skyline in mind, but it is informative nonetheless. I've always been impressed with APEXi filters, but they don't have a drop-in replacement for my car.

I'm still looking for some confirmation that I will see improved throttle response with a better filter. Is this BS?

-Jake
Old 08-04-2005, 05:28 PM

Throttle response means different things to different people. That given, I've felt wot differences in my truck which is a Ford 351 EFI, which really sucks the air. Bad thing was the tranny acted funny with the filter so I went back to paper. With f-bodies I've never felt any difference with the drop-in filters. I have however noticed way more buildup of fine dust on the tb's of all vehicles I've seen them in. Yeah they were oiled appropriately and yes they were sealed nicely and no the dust wasn't present with a paper element. That alone turned me against the K&N's unless I'm going with a CAI which pretty much requires one just due to no availability with paper elements.

If you're no stickler for a healthy engine, go ahead. If you are, it would be plum stupid. If you're somewhere in between, then just scratch your *** for a while and smell your finger.